• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA PBS is.......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Big difference already between XJT and ASA already, we hardly have any open time that is made available because they save it for reserves. What is available is rarely able to be swapped for because red arrow days prohibit it, and we have to get it approved to swap in a 12 hour window. If that program applies to XJT after the merge, you won't be so excited about open time any longer, either.

Disagree. I polish a turd of a line every month by swapping out almost every single four-day with something else in open time.

Open time is your friend. Unless you're the company.

In my example the pay credit was 66hrs

Thanks, so just to clarify, the guy was gonna get paid for 75 hrs but he dropped some flying off his schedule to 66?

What if you got what you wanted at the start? There will still be open time. EVERY airline that has PBS still has some open time, just not the crazy amount that we have now.

And what if a pilot's juniority and PBS he STILL doesn't get what he wants, and there's NO open time of trade for?

Now cue the argument "well, he's junior so tough titties". But that cancels out the argument you posted above.

The system that Nevets and I currently work under, and senior pilot can bid the line he wants, and get it. The junior pilot may not get the line he wants, but with the open time there's enough for him to change that.

Big difference already between XJT and ASA already, we hardly have any open time that is made available because they save it for reserves. What is available is rarely able to be swapped for because red arrow days prohibit it, and we have to get it approved to swap in a 12 hour window. If that program applies to XJT after the merge, you won't be so excited about open time any longer, either.

You assume the combined company will have this "red arrows" thing and this "12 hour window." If that program applies to XJT after the merge, I would guess many XJT pilots will be voting no. But just a guess from a line pilot.

Or the reserve guy who has to cover the trips nobody else wants...with two hours notice.

At XJT, reserves have the ability to list themselves as will call or no preference. If you are will call, you get called first. Presumably the ones who don't list themselves as will call rather not fly and vice versa. Also, reserves have what is called an aggressive pickup window in which they can pick up a trip in open time. Both of these contract provisions makes it more likely that a reserve that doesn't want to fly, doesn't.

Last edited:
You assume the combined company will have this "red arrows" thing and this "12 hour window." If that program applies to XJT after the merge, I would guess many XJT pilots will be voting no. But just a guess from a line pilot.

Good point. I just imagine if ASA management was willing for us to work under these provisions, we would have them now also. But, they didn't want to relinquish that much control. Of course, everything is negotiated and I imagine we gave up this type of system to gain other things.

At XJT, reserves have the ability to list themselves as will call or no preference. If you are will call, you get called first. Presumably the ones who don't list themselves as will call rather not fly and vice versa. Also, reserves have what is called an aggressive pickup window in which they can pick up a trip in open time. Both of these contract provisions makes it more likely that a reserve that doesn't want to fly, doesn't.

We have a similar system here, call me first. However, the company can skip a call me first if he is first in the bucket and the assingment would take him/her over 75 hrs. Assignments really are given out in order of block hours to try to keep everyone even. Ergo, call me first just gets you to 75 hrs fastest. We, however, cannot pick up open time as reserves at ASA.

Side note. You guys at XJT must have a TREMENDOUS AMOUNT of open time over there! Seems like every guy drops all his trips on his bid award and all pick up open time. I wonder why they don't build more lines with all that open time.

Side note. You guys at XJT must have a TREMENDOUS AMOUNT of open time over there! Seems like every guy drops all his trips on his bid award and all pick up open time. I wonder why they don't build more lines with all that open time.

Well, for now in IAH, total CA open time between now and Dec. 31st shows 59 total open pairings, ORD is 32, EWR is 22, CLE is 18. Bear in mind, less than half the month left. During the initial line improvement window, it's in the hundreds.

Sure, they could build more lines, but there's a thing called the line divisor that has to be complied with, as well as the block hours that determine how many lines are built.

Well, for now in IAH, total CA open time between now and Dec. 31st shows 59 total open pairings, ORD is 32, EWR is 22, CLE is 18. Bear in mind, less than half the month left. During the initial line improvement window, it's in the hundreds.

Sure, they could build more lines, but there's a thing called the line divisor that has to be complied with, as well as the block hours that determine how many lines are built.

IMPERATIVE that we insist on a mix of types of trips, and a limitation on how many reserve lines are built.

Currently we have NOTHING that prohibits the company from building 10 hard lines and putting the remainder of the pilot group on reserve.
We are currently running about 30% on 200 reserves. We STILL don't have enough reserves. They call everybody in for a round trip and extend, extend, extend....

IMPERATIVE that we insist on a mix of types of trips, and a limitation on how many reserve lines are built.

Currently we have NOTHING that prohibits the company from building 10 hard lines and putting the remainder of the pilot group on reserve.
We are currently running about 30% on 200 reserves. We STILL don't have enough reserves. They call everybody in for a round trip and extend, extend, extend....

XJT currently has a min reserve level, but no maximum either. In ORD for a while we had about 45% of the pilots on reserve but now it's back down. Total BS. But dare I say, the operation has become loser to being "properly staffed" as the amount of reasignments and rolled days has lessened. At least when the weather is good and there's no reason for it anyway.

There is already a mix of trips. Even if the pilots had complete control, you would find that one size does not fit all. There should never be a limitation on the number of Reserve lines. The need can change month to month, under our current system. If there are not Reserves to cover the trips, and you hold a Regular line, do you want to get extended at the end of your trip or junior-manned on you day off. Limit the Reserves, it is guaranteed to happen.

No contracual limit exists, because there is no reason. Financially, it would be a disaster for them to schedule like you suggest. Ideally, it would be most advantageous for them to cover the flying, building as many lines as possible to guarantee or greater. That is impossible, but PBS will give them the next best thing. Ideally, Reserves would not be necessary at all if no one ever called in sick, needed leaves, quit, and there were no IROPS. But, that is not reality. Reserves are needed for those events to guarantee schedule integrity (high completion factor). Under PBS, less Reserves will be needed because those are the events that they will be used for. Open time will be near to none, thus requiring less staffing for Reserves.
The percentage changes every month, under current processes. I am not sure if it is 30%, but certainly in the mid 20's. December will always have the highest Reserves, even with PBS, because sick calls go through the roof, due to flu season and people who are adverse to working on holidays. 30% Reserves on the CR2/ATL would be about 120 Captains and 120 F/O's. Is it really that high?:confused:

Thanks, so just to clarify, the guy was gonna get paid for 75 hrs but he dropped some flying off his schedule to 66?

If using the vacation low option, the target line value is 75 hours. However, the bottom of the credit window is 65 hours. If the system gets to the end of your bid sheet and hasn't hit 75 hours, but is above the minimum 65, your schedule is complete and you still get paid the minimum 75 hours of pay. The trick is to build your bid sheet so that you get awarded just enough credit to reach the bottom of the window (65 hrs - 28 hrs vacation = 37 hours), but conflicts prevent the system from awarding anything else before the end of the bid sheet. You've got to use a second bid sheet to make sure "all remaining pairings" isn't on the first one.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back