• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA PBS is.......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It is so true for all of us. We have to take the time to learn the system and to learn how to set our preferences accordingly to get the bid award that we want. These guys that are getting good vacation months, I have all ideas have REALLY taken the time to learn the system. With that being said I am a 7 yr ASA guy and on this last award I was awarded a 16 day off line with no vacation and commutator trips......

Commutator trips.... Sorry for the typo at the end, I am posting this from an iPad

Should have gone with android ;)

With PBS I don't upgrade

EITHER way, next year, you'll upgrade. Trust that. next summer is going to be a blood bath and last summer is just a taste of how bad it's gonna be unless they hire balls to the wall

Spudskier maybe so, but it was more trying to type on the iPad and my 16 month old daughter in my arms!! andriod or apple not a good combination!! lol.... I might also add that I am a 7 year guy in the left seat as well with that kind of an award....

Without PBS........30-35% of pilots on reserve!
With PBS...........10% or less on reserve!!!!!

That alone is worth it to me!

No, there were 303 lines awarded in Jan. (200 FO). With PBS there were still only 303 lines awarded with PBS. how does that put less of us on reserve?

I went from my 2nd reserve line of choice with my first choice of reserve period to my 3rd to last choice of reserve line. As far as I can tell after talking with a Rep, the PBS system copied reserve lines over from the actual bid. i.e. if you were awarded RES 702 for Jan, then PBS just gave you RES 701.
How is that a practice bid? The truth is, these practice bids have been nothing but smoke and mirrors. We won't know (especially those on reserve) what to realistically expect until we go live. That's the real "practice" bid.

My first serious post I think:

Why did some guys get vac and two four days and others get vac and three four days?? What options did one select and the other not? I looked at some mid level guys who got three four days but then some really junior guys got just two four days with a block under 75hrs thought that had to be the min according to the coversheet. Thanks just wondering so I don't screw it up when I have vac.

The bottom of the window is 65 hours when using vacation low. The award engine is trying to reach 75, but if it gets to the end of a bid sheet and you are above 65, your schedule is complete. The trick is to bid so that after two pairings are awarded (valued to bring you just over 65 hours) all other bid pairings will conflict and not be awarded. Use a second bid sheet to keep "all remaining pairings" off the first one. The best strategy I've come up with so far is to bid 3-4 day pairings worth at least 18.5 hrs with specific start dates. I'm sure there are other ways.

No, there were 303 lines awarded in Jan. (200 FO). With PBS there were still only 303 lines awarded with PBS. how does that put less of us on reserve?

I went from my 2nd reserve line of choice with my first choice of reserve period to my 3rd to last choice of reserve line. As far as I can tell after talking with a Rep, the PBS system copied reserve lines over from the actual bid. i.e. if you were awarded RES 702 for Jan, then PBS just gave you RES 701.
How is that a practice bid? The truth is, these practice bids have been nothing but smoke and mirrors. We won't know (especially those on reserve) what to realistically expect until we go live. That's the real "practice" bid.

Uhh....I just counted 325 lines for ATL 200 FO for JAN PBS bid. Several super junior folks got lines most likely cuz borderline lineholders don't know how to bid, or didn't bid at all. Couple guys halfway up the 200 seniority list got reserve. These apathetic guys are in for a rude awakening come February

The bottom of the window is 65 hours when using vacation low. The award engine is trying to reach 75, but if it gets to the end of a bid sheet and you are above 65, your schedule is complete. The trick is to bid so that after two pairings are awarded (valued to bring you just over 65 hours) all other bid pairings will conflict and not be awarded. Use a second bid sheet to keep "all remaining pairings" off the first one. The best strategy I've come up with so far is to bid 3-4 day pairings worth at least 18.5 hrs with specific start dates. I'm sure there are other ways.

Yup, what he said folks!

Thank ya sir

Uhh....I just counted 325 lines for ATL 200 FO for JAN PBS bid. Several super junior folks got lines most likely cuz borderline lineholders don't know how to bid, or didn't bid at all. Couple guys halfway up the 200 seniority list got reserve. These apathetic guys are in for a rude awakening come February

You're right. I'm not sure what the ALPA rep was showing me yesterday but it definitely was not the PDF file with the results. It looks like I would have gotten a line.

The ALPA rep did point out that the PBS practice bid didn't reflect lines with held for training. So how many of those 325 lines would have been with held?

Latest resources

Back