• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Newhire advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

So as I'm preparing for the 4/12 class, I just have a few questions that I figure some of you guys have gone through before.

I've read about the kit bags and how you have to get one smaller than 8" depth to fit in the CRJ. I don't have one yet... should I plan on getting one before I go for training, or wait until I get down there and see what everybody else has? I'd love to have a Scott one but I admit the el cheapo Staples ones sound tempting.

What does everybody do for food? I imagine if I eat out for lunch and dinner every day I'll lose my medical by the time training is done! Not to mention be broke.

I know they will explain uniform issues during indoc, but just wanted to take a survey of people here. Should I spring for the leather jacket now or wait until it cools off again? Should I even get one? How many shirts and pants do you recommend to get? Does anybody actually wear long sleeve pilot shirts?

Thanks for the help guys. I'm sure I'll think of more but that's all I can come up with now! :cool:

4200 said:
So as I'm preparing for the 4/12 class, I just have a few questions that I figure some of you guys have gone through before.

"I've read about the kit bags and how you have to get one smaller than 8" depth to fit in the CRJ. I don't have one yet... should I plan on getting one before I go for training, or wait until I get down there and see what everybody else has? I'd love to have a Scott one but I admit the el cheapo Staples ones sound tempting."

Spend al little $ as possible. Buy the cheap bag and bring it to class to carry all of the book they will give you.

"What does everybody do for food? I imagine if I eat out for lunch and dinner every day I'll lose my medical by the time training is done! Not to mention be broke."

Lots of fast food in the area. Some healthy, some not.

"I know they will explain uniform issues during indoc, but just wanted to take a survey of people here. Should I spring for the leather jacket now or wait until it cools off again? Should I even get one? How many shirts and pants do you recommend to get? Does anybody actually wear long sleeve pilot shirts?"

Spend as little as possible, again. One coat and two pants. You can by extra pants later at JC Penny or Sears for a lot less. Wait on the leather jacket. You won't need one until November, order it in August. Don't buy an overcoat from Flightstation. Get it at Burlington Coat Factory if you need it.

Last edited:
stuff you may want in class

You should probably have a kit bag to use during training. The first day or so you will get all of your manuals. Most standard “airline” type bags will work in the RJ as long as they don’t have wheels on them.

As far as food, at the “Red Roof” ask for a room with a refrigerator and microwave. You can save a bunch by going to the grocery store and getting some microwavable type stuff and the usual fruit and veggies. There is a complimentary breakfast in the morning that has bagels and muffins and stuff. Also at Flight Safety they usual have some of the same laid out upstairs. You’ll tire of eating in your room all the time, there are a number of low cost alternatives nearby if you have wheels.

Uniforms. Most people will get a couple of pair of pants and 3-5 shirts, a tie and shoes. The company will give you the epaulettes and insignia and name tags. My class was evenly mixed on the jacket issue, many opted for the leather with the mind set that they would not have to pop for the overcoat and also would have something warm to wear in YOW during the overnight. Since you are going to be starting in the summer you can put it off, but the leather jacket takes approximately 8 weeks so plan ahead. The guys that wear long sleeves seem to be in the group of people that is always cold. Your preference. The RJ cockpit is very comfortable in most all climates.

Enjoy class and welcome aboard.

Ditto the above. Also try to get a room with one bed and the desk, it's alot better for studying. Go to a grocery store and stock your fridge. Theres a McDonalds across the street (worst service ever) and a couple of good local place to eat and drink beer. I would definately recommend driving, it will make your life alot easier. Downtown Atlanta is pretty fun on the weekends. Standard flight kit will do, just dont get the one with wheels on it. As for uniforms, like already said, two pairs of pants and about 5 shirts at least. JcPenney sells towncraft slacks that match exactly and are half the price. Hold off on the leather jacket till you need it, you'll be poor enough the first year. I believe all the uniform stuff is payrioll deduct the first time at Flightstation. But not the leather coat. Welcome aboard, good bunch of guys here.

Id say go for the Office Depot el cheapo kit bag. I've had mine since I transitioned to the RJ nearly 4 years ago, and it's held up fine. If after you get on line you decide you want to spend the $ for a Scott or similiar, then you can.

As stated above, the Red Roof will provide a fridge and microwave in the rooms, but you have to request them. A 99 cent loaf of store brand bread and and a big ol jar of peanut butter :)

There's a McDonalds across the street from the hotel, plus Malone's - steaks, sandwiches, chicken, etc and Spondivits - seafood (both good food, kinda pricey)

Again, having a car opens up all sorts of dining options, there's Chinese, BBQ, Greek, plus tons of sandwhich and pizza places within a few blocks.

As far as uniforms, the blazer vs. leather jacket debate has been going on since we first got the leather approved. I have both but almost never wear the blazer anymore. The leather jacket is a lot more versatile, and I think more comfortable. Also, you can wear pretty much any store bought pants with it, since it doesn't have to exactly match like the blazer does. A lot of guy who wear the leather jacket get machine washable black pants at CostCo or JCPenny for a lot less than you'll pay for "uniform" pants. I wear short sleeve shirts, during the winter, I bring a sweater (they're approved) to wear over it. There are tons of places that sell good quality uniform shirts. I usually get mine from Pilotshirts.Com, the tapered ones fit really well.

Good luck, welcome aboard, see you in Dallas (probably)

Thanks a lot for the replies, guys. Very helpful.

One last question... does ASA have any sort of headset deals through the company or am I better off just buying one on my own? I was looking at flightstation and their prices seem a bit high compared to what you can get elsewhere, unless there's some hidden discount they don't tell you about.

There are headsets in the aircraft, just make sure you wipe them down good with the SaniWipes. Who knows what might be on them. ;)

If you go with the leather jacket option, order it early. It takes approximately 3 months to fill an order, so plan accordingly.

Welcome to ASA.

questions, questions!!

I've got some for you:
What does it take to get an interview?
How long before I can expect (if ever) an opportunity to speak with someone at ASA?
I faxed my resume over in Jan., called earlier this week and faxed it over again. I would love to talk with the folks over there. Any advice would be appreciated.

Ron

We're out of the winter uniform now, so don't worry about the jacket til Aug or Sep - then order the leather one, but order it early, cuz it takes awhile... it's worth every cent, especially since you can avoid buying both the blazer and the overcoat. Technically you need to have a blazer anyway, but I've never worn mine since I got the leather, so I wouldn't bother with it.

I get my pants at K&G Mens store (outlet?) - $40 for 100% wool pants - MUCH better than the crap at Flightstation or JCPenney. 2 pairs will do. Don't do the long-sleeve shirts, because the sleeves will just get filthy on the armrests (and everywhere else). You will soon discover that a 4-day trip requires 1 pair of pants and 2 shirts, otherwise you'd need a massive suitcase to hold everything. So while you're using one set, the other is at the cleaners (don't bother with cleaning and pressing them yourself, spend the buck to get them done right and save yourself the hassle...).

As for flight kits, the Office Depot special has served me well for several years now. When it wears out, then I'll spring for the Scott Jumbo, but not before...

At the Red Roof, ask for the "Business King" room - it has a King bed and a huge desk. And if you ever think you'll "just run across to McD's for a quick bite," think again. It would take less time to walk the mile or so to Wendy's, order, eat, and walk back than it does to get your food at McDonalds.

ps: if you use the headsets in the aircraft, do the next crew a favor and put it away when you're done so I don't have to. VERY few of us actually use them...

other helpers

Once you get to class, they will try to fill your head with sand with the hew hire stuff, which is two weeks long. At the end of the first week, they should hand out the manuals. At this time, get your cue cards, and start writing out all the imediate action items and limitations, and memorize them before the second week is over. Why? Well, if you commute you will want to go home sometime to visit the family, and if you don't get the memorization out of the way early, the longer you are gone from home, the less you will concentrate. So work hard to get those memory items down cold right away. Then you can coast ever so slightly and give you a little breathing room in case you head home latter on. Once you are home how much studying are you going to do?

Find someone with a car, if you don't have yours there, and make friends. Tag along for groceries meals whatever, to get out of the red roof. A few friends talking about the same crap together is better then dry humping the books all the time. They are also money savers for groceries, always offer a few bucks for gas, they will invite you more often.

As you are going through class, try to find others who have gone through this before you, maybe at flight safety for recurrent, and ask them questions as they come up at night when you are studying. Flows and such, are much simplier beign shown once, then trying to learn it the wrong way on your own.

Good Luck.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back