• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Newhire advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I didn't buy anything until I passed my checkride. We were backed up then and I had a few weeks before IOE, but I still think it's good advice. At least wait until your first week of sim is done.

Gary is great, but I got everything I need at flightstation for 600 bucks, and everything has held up well over the last several years. Gary's hats are better than FS's, but the FS shirts are better than Abbott's in my opinion. I've owned both.

Go to the Southlake Mall JCPenney's for the pants. The Stafford series cost $30 each, it's the same material, and you can wash and dry them yourself. I did the dryclean only crap at Airways, and it's a pain in the ass.

LTG :D

If you get the RJ, you may hear about a "study guide" written by one of our more exceptional Captains. DO NOT, repeat DO NOT, waste your money on it. It has a lot of phantom info that is nowhere to be found in any of our company manuals (limitations that don't exist, etc.) and info that is just wrong.

You'll only confuse yourself using it.

It is free

Linda did that a few years ago. I went through the whole document about 6 months ago and it does have some errors, but that is because the POH has had so many changes. The systems protion of it is pretty good. I can email it to you if you want it. It in no way replaces the POH but She did put in a pretty good section that tells you what button does what. I found it helpfull as well as some of the system explanations. Your call.

Aditionally, the guys in my class (8/2000) were spending over $600.00 (not including shoes) for their uniforms. I went to J.C. Pennys and bought the Coat and 4 pairs of pants. I had the arm bands sewn on at Abbots for $20.00 or so. I bought 7 Vanhuesen pilots series shirts on their 1800# for 17.00 each. All in all cost me $330.00 plus a tie, shoes and hat, or a lttle over $400.00. So I got way more for way less. Again your call. P.S. I bought the leather jacket when we first go them over two years ago and have not worn my coat one time sence. You may just want to get the leather jacket and save the 90.00 on the coat (J.C. Penny price). :p

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Am I the only one that thinks the Comair/ASA leather jackets are INCREDIBLY ugly?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well now, no one really cares what you 'thinks' ya know? The leather jacket is great especially when the wind is blowing on the ramp. All you need to do is zip it up and you're toasty as can be. These jackets are very high quality and worth every penny. Plus being able to wear them on RONs saves carrying around another jacket. You're just jealous 'cause your airline doesn't offer them, or won't let you choose to have them. Plus we all look like such manly studs! lol

Actually, I DO work for one of these airlines and I DO think they look retarded. C'mon, a leather jacket with an elastic band and velcro for the name piece? Nice. Oh, and when you wear them with street clothes, they look even worse. I'll take my blazer and overcoat any day. But you are right, that is my opinion and I'm glad there is a choice...besides, it makes me look better standing next to you guys! :D

Re: It is free

Tim47SIP said:
Linda did that a few years ago. I went through the whole document about 6 months ago and it does have some errors, but that is because the POH has had so many changes. The systems protion of it is pretty good. I can email it to you if you want it. It in no way replaces the POH but She did put in a pretty good section that tells you what button does what. I found it helpfull as well as some of the system explanations. Your call.

I have an old copy of Linda's guide, it's ok, if a bit dated. I do really like the circuit breaker guide she has in it though.

If you want to see a really slick study guide, get a copy of Carlos C's CD ROM. Systems, and panel sumaries. He did a really great job. Plus it's in Word format, so you can just print out the pages you want and carry them with you. It's great for the "What does it mean when this light illuminates?" type questions.

Hate to change the subject but....I wanted to know what the chances are of me getting a FO seat on the ATR instead of the jet? I am currently in the April 12th class.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back