ASA new hire pay cut......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ben Dover said:
Wrong! If you don't like the pay, don't work there. When enough people do this the company will raise pay to where it should be. Simple economics. Don't try and pawn this pay problem off on "you and the other pilots aleady on the seniority list."

Actually, you're wrong. If you think there aren't people lining up at the door to fly an airliner regardless of whatever new hire pay happens to be, you're kidding yourself. If you want pay rates to come up it has to come from within, not from expecting new comers to take a stand for the industry.

Tim47SIP said:
I wouldnt worry about it. If the pay is that low, then the number of newhires showing up for class will deminish. Just like when there was PFT at ASA. They couldnt get the applicants so they dropped the PFT and paid you the sallary. They will learn eventually. Additionaly, why is new hire pay even in this proposal. They shouldnt be covered by our agreement untill they are done with sims or IOE?

Yeah, riiiiight. You forget there hordes of these guys paying money to be a FO on a 1900. Do you really believe it retard the number of applicants? At $300 a week with a room paid for? Thats a hell of alot better than some companies. TSA pays about that but no room. Sorta tough to show up for class, get a hotel room and find a crash pad, no? Guys do it all the time. It's a nonstarter right there. I bet it will fly. The pot will only be as sweet as needed to keep new hires walking in the door with that starry eyed look of getting the fly a JET!

barbarian4 said:
Actually, you're wrong. If you think there aren't people lining up at the door to fly an airliner regardless of whatever new hire pay happens to be, you're kidding yourself. If you want pay rates to come up it has to come from within, not from expecting new comers to take a stand for the industry.

Correct, so you just proved our point. If the new comers are lining up regardless of whatever the new hire pay is then why jack it up. Let them beat down the doors to fly for chump wages. Simply supply and demand. New hire regional pilots will never make much above poverty. Sad thing is that for the majority of CFI's taking the jobs, it's a big pay raise and a guaranteed income. It's all about planning, paying some dues and knowing what you are getting yourself into.

DetoXJ said:
Correct, so you just proved our point. If the new comers are lining up regardless of whatever the new hire pay is then why jack it up. Let them beat down the doors to fly for chump wages. Simply supply and demand. New hire regional pilots will never make much above poverty. Sad thing is that for the majority of CFI's taking the jobs, it's a big pay raise and a guaranteed income. It's all about planning, paying some dues and knowing what you are getting yourself into.

"Truly, you have a dizzying intellect" -The Man in Black

I'm not sure I see the point to which you are referring

barbarian4 said:

If you want to shoot your bargaining wad on behalf of poolies, I suppose that's your choice to make. All I can say is you'd be better off getting market forces working FOR you rather than fighting basic principles of economics.

barbarian4 said:
"Truly, you have a dizzying intellect" -The Man in Black

I'm not sure I see the point to which you are referring

I'm sorry that such basic principles of economics and supply and demand are so confusing to you.

DetoXJ said:
Correct, so you just proved our point. If the new comers are lining up regardless of whatever the new hire pay is then why jack it up. Let them beat down the doors to fly for chump wages.

Yeah, so keep voting in the concessions on the bottom end so that we can continue to lower costs for our companies and they can continue to undercut each other until all of us are just like Mesa. I mean, the paycuts on the bottom end aren't going to effect ME, so who cares? It is amazing to me how narrow sighted some of you are. :rolleyes:

Training pay

What are the current pay rates for training? $900/week plus per diem? The $300/week proposal is outrageous. My part-time warehouse job pays more.

Does anyone know when this proposal will be decided on? (Will it be before the March 27th class)

I heard ASA is suppose to release an announcement today at 4:30 PM about negotiations...

I agree don't waste even more ammo on new hire pay. Theres always another day to fight for that. If they simply don't come to class for that pay then it will eventually have to be raised. If people do come for that pay then they made the choice. Its silly to waste any ammo whatsoever on 1st year pay.

Latest resources

Back