ASA Negotiations Suspended Indefinitely

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Alpa Bashing

I think we can all agree that ALPA National has it's problems, however anyone who denies that we all owe what we do have in the way of wages, rest, and quality of life, to ALPA and APA is either uneducated or has an agenda other than making a decent living flying airplanes.

That said, chasing a pure growth contract will not work due to the following facts:

1. Half of any pilot group will always be FOs.

2. The bottom segment of the CPs and FOs will be on reserve or suffering the low seniority schedueling rules lifestyle.

These two simple facts make it absolutely obvious that Quality of Life and Wages are the most important issues to any pilot group. And I'm not talking about just the top end of the CP payscale. The FO payscales are shameful in the regional industry. We should all be fighting to ensure that every pilot makes a decent living, including the FOs. Chasing growth is not the way to do this.

Good, experienced FOs are equally responsible for the safe operation of our aircraft. Let's stop eating our young and put an end to this growth-oriented bull, which only hurts us all in the long run.

~~~^~~~ said:
It would not surprise me that in a few days we will hear that the -900/705's will be operated by Skywest and that there is a displacement bid coming down.

Yup...

I would probably tell your CNC to gear your contract contingent on very little growth.

Last edited:
CFIT said:
Yup...

I would probably tell your CNC to gear your contract contingent on very little growth.

Gee, threats of downsizing if we don't cave to the selfish demands of mangement to finance their growth out of our own pockets.

Never heard that one before.

If they want to shrink the airline and make it more expensive to operate, go right ahead.

Shrink it right out of business.

John Pennekamp said:
As for his screen name, I don't know why he doesn't just use his real name. Since he posts the same crap here that he does on the ALPA site, we all know who he is.

I encourage to post your same crap on the ALPA board... oh wait, that would require you to sign your name to what you say.

DrunkIrishman said:
Joe-

There is only so much a local can do my friend.

I agree. Without an effective coordinated National effort, all the hard work and dedication on a local level will be for naught... A single platoon fighting a single battle, cannot win a war without a unified army, with an effective battle plan.

Pogue Mahone said:
We spend WAY more then we ever take in by way of dues revenue. We are subsidized by the larger carriers.

Don't beleive me? Do a little research. It's all there for the reading

Throwing money at problems, doesn't solve those problems. Liberals are famous for just trying to throw money at problems, but that seldom solves anything.

HoserASA said:
ha ha! Didn't see what DeDumbhead wrote, 'cause I'm ignoring her!

I don't agree with most of what you write Hoser, but I don't put you on ignore. Remember "ignorance" comes from "ignore". Everyone should listen two both sides of every issue. If one side doesn't want you to listen to other, you should question the motives of that side.

atrdriver said:
Oh yeah, and those concessions that you bent over for got you a LOT of new growth, didn't it?

Atr, they haven't taken the concessions yet because of the FAs. They still have the highest pilot costs in the DCI system by far.

~~~^~~~ said:
Delta's pilot losses were not due to 9/11. They are the result of ALPA's exclusionary scope policy.

If the Delta pilots had not fought the PID request made by the ASA and Comair MEC's in 1999, their numbers would currently be over 10,000.

It would not surprise me that in a few days we will hear that the -900/705's will be operated by Skywest and that there is a displacement bid coming down.

That is not true. They don't need 10,000+ pilots to fly the equipment that they have now. They parked a LOT of airplanes after 9/11, and furloughed because of that. I agree if the PID would have gone through all the DAL pilots would still have jobs, but a lot of the ASA and CMR guys would be on the street instead.

JoeMerchant said:
Atr, they haven't taken the concessions yet because of the FAs. They still have the highest pilot costs in the DCI system by far.

I'm talking about the ones from over a year ago, which they did indeed take. You remember, right after they sent out the stickers that said "CMR pilots support the ASA negotiations". They didn't get more A/C then, and I doubt that they will now. What you get paid to fly that ATR isn't going to determine whether we get more of them, whether the company can make money with them will.

Latest resources

Back