ASA MGMT proposes CONCESSIONS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Crash Pad said:
Sorry capitalist guy here again. If you lose your job you will end up at MESA, CHQ, or Skywest. That will be a concession... especailly if you consider the couple months without pay. If you want a better job may I suggest SWA, AirTran, CAL, etc... You see if the pay is so low that people don't take the job they will have to entice workers with say better pay and work rules. MESA has discovered that people will do this job for a lot less. So by putting ASA out you would grow MESA because they look at our demise as a growth opportunity.
If you have grandiose visions of an industry taking notice if we strike... You are foolish. I mean that even if we BK Skywest and DAL. The world will move on.

You are like a lot of the other narrow minded pilots out there. Most of us have college edu. I plan on just getting out of the industry and doing something else if ASA does not work out.

I will stand up for what is right and if it falls apart I am out for good.

av8er2 said:
You are like a lot of the other narrow minded pilots out there. Most of us have college edu. I plan on just getting out of the industry and doing something else if ASA does not work out.

I will stand up for what is right and if it falls apart I am out for good.

This is the most accurate statement I have read concerning the situation at ASA and the industry as a whole. Either the race to the bottom stops at ASA or its time too just move on to bigger and better things.

Being an airline pilot can be fun but its not worth wasting your life fighting over decent compensation.

AdamKooper said:
You know something I wish people would stop with this strike BULL. While I don't think we should take concessions I think we should take a look at the fact that while we scream for more pay airlines like comair and xjet are getting gutted. I'm not saying we should bend over and take it from management but I think we should hold off on the strikes and greedy pay increases and hope we don’t end up a mesa food.

I don't know who you've been talking to lately, but most everyone I talk to and fly with just wants a slight adjustment for C.O.L (~1%-2%), with the large emphasis on the QOL issues.

You mean to tell me that: a long call reserve system, trip rigs and/or duty rigs, some imput on the lines from an effeciency standpoint(and commutibility), clarifying a pilot as regular or reserve, clarfiying cdo and other ambigious current contractural language, a small increase in per diem, a preferential bid system, a senority based reserve system etc., is going to push ASA so far out of the substandard "cost-box" crap agreement they signed with Delta that the company will no longer be able to function....then there are larger problems at hand than the pilot current/future pilot contract. If we agree to the crap they proposed last night...might as well go ahead and hand them your balls and save yourself the pain of having them rip them off you over the next few years if this junk were to be passed by the pilot group!

ASA Pilots:smash: <-------ASA Mgm't(armed with thier new work rules)

jetstream said:
Did you mean that this captain has no other prospects because he has only civilian flight time?

no, of course not. Just that it seems to me that most of the folks being hired out of the regionals into majors are furloughees or have prior mil, that is, something above and beyond a few thousand hours PIC in an RJ that makes them stand out. Peace my civilian brotha.

How about looking at this in another direction instead of holding the bar up and watch everyone walk under it. All DCI, united feed carriers etc... sign contracts that state the lowest contract minus 1% eventually the commuter segment would implode and then maybe it could then be rebuilt with carriers and pilots looking to earn a living with a QOL and not just fly a jet for $15.00 an hour.

Amen to everyone not willing to sell each other down the river...

I'm working my way into the industry, but I'll have myself my degree and an ATC out as well...I'll tell ya right now, I don't care how bad my CFI job may suck, I'm NOT flying a jet for 15/hr..

My classmates might sign up left and right, and they can have it.

Last edited:
kc81900 said:
How about looking at this in another direction instead of holding the bar up and watch everyone walk under it. All DCI, united feed carriers etc... sign contracts that state the lowest contract minus 1% eventually the commuter segment would implode and then maybe it could then be rebuilt with carriers and pilots looking to earn a living with a QOL and not just fly a jet for $15.00 an hour.

Wow...How creative! OR!!!! how about ALPA national gettting off there ar$$ and stepping up to the plate for the regionals. Guys like you are also part of the problem and not the solution. If we had some support from the mainline pilots and from ALPA, maybe we could stop this race to the bottom...which would ultimately be better for everyone. I had a mainline pilot tell me once that I didn't deserve a better wage cause "your just flying an RJ." Don't you see that it is in everyones best interest that we get paid fairly. I don't want these RJ's replacing all the big jets any more than yall do. I want to make sure that i still have a good job to move on to. But if we keep taking cuts, they will keep putting bigger and bigger planes here but at substandard wages. WE NEED ALPA NATIONAL TO HELP US!!!

This is still a great career where else can a high school grad plan on making $100K per year by his mid-30's

Times are Tough!

I wonder what the Delta boys are bidding for our 70 seat flying? I imagine the arbitration is probably kept confidential, so as usual, the mainline guys know what we are up to (thanks to ALPA) but we have no idea what they are conspiring to do. It would be good to know if we are being undercut by our mainline brothers. I am guessing that is the case and if so, we might look at the 70 seat pay offer from another perspective.

Fins is on to something here. My guess is that in order for ASA/Sky to continue to get the increased number of 70's or even remain competitive in the industry, they have to ensure they underbid the Mainline Guys on these aircraft to stay competitive. The Arbitrator will look at the costs of operation in regards to Mainline versus ASA/Sky. If we are higher, then the aircraft move to mainline or the competition and if we are considerably lower, they move or stay with us. The 90 day limitation more than likely is aligned with Delta's Arbitration date so that the Delta Arbitrator has the final outcome of our contract to determine the flow of aircraft. If we are still in negotiations, it may hurt us as our outcome is uncertain in the eyes of the Arbitrator and Delta Mainline gets the aircraft. I can only guess that our management has been tasked to rap this thing up for the purposes of ensuring that we remain a lower cost company prior to the Mainline's Arbitration.

All this contract needs is some some significant quality of life issues fixed and most of us would be happy. I do think we might as well prepare our selves for some very bad news in the non rev arena. That will be difficult to swallow at the same time we are fighting for basic QOL issues.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back