• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA MGMT proposes CONCESSIONS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
To begin with, if you have to ask what "work to rule" is, you're not a pilot.

But - to answer your question.

"Work to rule" is NOT an illegal job action. All it means is that in these trying times, pilots may find themselves distracted by all of these outside influences. In order to remain SAFE, the ASA pilots should redouble their efforts to be SAFE and fly EXACTLY by the book. Review the POH and the FOM and fly in accordance with them.

atlcrashpad said:
I cannot wait until they announce our pass benefit changes. Watch the exodus of some very good people.

Do you mean that people will leave their jobs because they will be bumped down a couple of pegs on the non-rev list?

anon said:

But - to answer your question.

"Work to rule" is NOT an illegal job action. All it means is that in these trying times, pilots may find themselves distracted by all of these outside influences. In order to remain SAFE, the ASA pilots should redouble their efforts to be SAFE and fly EXACTLY by the book. Review the POH and the FOM and fly in accordance with them.

I am a pilot, just haven't heard that expression before. I somewhat agree with you. It's so hard not to be proactive about the job. If I just sat there and never called for cleaning, catering, release, ect. ect. ect. things would never get done. I just want to get to the overnight in a timely manner so I can start drinking.

Rogue5 said:
Do you mean that people will leave their jobs because they will be bumped down a couple of pegs on the non-rev list?

Quite a few ASA F/A's work there ONLY for the pass benefits. So yes, they will.

the race to the bottom will continue unless...

- we are all in one (regional) union. (insert laughter)
or
- we are re-regulated.

This very subject came up in my mind the other night when I hopped on a Mesa CRJ 700 to get to work and wanted to ask the little girl in the right seat if her parents knew where she was. Another academy product with 1000 hours and two years on the job. She was of course sitting next to your standard civilian time only RJ captain with ~ 5-6 years under his belt and no prospects other than his shitty regional where he'd built a bit of seniority. Just the kind of scope-busting crew the major executives dream about.

Individual companies striking will do nothing but cause minor, short-termed bumps in the industry road, including ASA. Folks in this or any other business like to say they're willing to make a stand, but realisitcally we all know it isn't like that. They'll only make one if they have leverage and that is hard to find these days with surpluss airplanes and bottom feeders lurking about. Unless were forced to act together, through any form of regulation (which any fine capitalist abhors), the race will continue and these displays of "bravery" will continue to mean nothing.

I tend to agree. Pick your battles.

I think that the best thing that we could do at the moment is to prolong negotiations because while we are negotiating nothing changes.

I have no doubt that we could win a better contract. The problem lies in keeping a better contract. As soon as costs go up, the whores and bottom feeders start sniffing around. Just ask Express Jet and Mesaba.

The only way to win is to become truly unified beyond the seniority list.

anon said:

Easy there, anon. I've been flying for 10 years and, as with Mr. McCockner, I've never heard that term before either.

shamrock said:
Easy there, anon. I've been flying for 10 years and, as with Mr. McCockner, I've never heard that term before either.

Thanks for backing me on that one Shamrock..

oh Anon, go f$ck yourself.

skystud25 said:
- we are all in one (regional) union. (insert laughter)
or
- we are re-regulated.

This very subject came up in my mind the other night when I hopped on a Mesa CRJ 700 to get to work and wanted to ask the little girl in the right seat if her parents knew where she was. Another academy product with 1000 hours and two years on the job. She was of course sitting next to your standard civilian time only RJ captain with ~ 5-6 years under his belt and no prospects other than his shootty regional where he'd built a bit of seniority. Just the kind of scope-busting crew the major executives dream about.

Individual companies striking will do nothing but cause minor, short-termed bumps in the industry road, including ASA. Folks in this or any other business like to say they're willing to make a stand, but realisitcally we all know it isn't like that. They'll only make one if they have leverage and that is hard to find these days with surpluss airplanes and bottom feeders lurking about. Unless were forced to act together, through any form of regulation (which any fine capitalist abhors), the race will continue and these displays of "bravery" will continue to mean nothing.

Did you mean that this captain has no other prospects because he has only civilian flight time?

After hearing the latest news about management's proposal, I tend to agree with blueridge.

If Mgmt wants concessions, then it is OUR turn to stall for 3 more years and possibly get a better contract at that time.

When I first started here, I used to hear pilots say "I'll shut this place down before taking a cut" and that rhetoric bothered me. I thought it was short sighted, the whole "cutting your nose off" thing.

But now, I really would rather the place close than agree to lower benefits without the possibility of increases for 10 years. Let someone else do it for $15.00/hour. Not me!! I like flying, but not much anymore. I'll do something else and scratch the flying itch in a light sport A/C

Good luck to all

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back