• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Merger Committee

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think that if you don't understand that computers have made many industries more efficient, including ours you have no business in an aircraft.

I also think that if you're not smart enough to understand the difference between your schedule's hour efficiency and the overall schedule's manpower efficiency, you aren't worth wasting time on. There is a reason that 4 days came back with a vengence when we became short staffed. A schedule with a ton of 4 days requires fewer crew members. Plain and simple. This isn't rocket science.

Giving it another shot, Chief?

You really, really must be dense if you think computers have just now become capable of computing this sort of thing.... In my estimation a standard PC from 1985 with the most basic spreadsheet could have performed the necessary calculations-and even the cavemen back then knew this idea was B.S.

Before this magical computer and all its fancy-dancy NASA processors arrived, there were accountants who easily could have produced the necessary cost models-these people have been around far, far longer than the airplane.

-So, you really must be a complete retard if you are not smart enough to spot the error in your logic by now...

-Let me help you: Before the advent of flush toilets, no member of the human race ever took a dump-did they? Something starting to smell fishy in New Brunswick? Are you staring to see some parallels? Same exact logic you have used to try and impress us all here.

-Just follow that line of reasoning through, and maybe you will be able to see what a complete dumbass you look like.

Giving it another shot, Chief?

You really, really must be dense if you think computers have just now become capable of computing this sort of thing.... In my estimation a standard PC from 1985 with the most basic spreadsheet could have performed the necessary calculations-and even the cavemen back then knew this idea was B.S.

Before this magical computer and all its fancy-dancy NASA processors arrived, there were accountants who easily could have produced the necessary cost models-these people have been around far, far longer than the airplane.

-So, you really must be a complete retard if you are not smart enough to spot the error in your logic by now...

-Let me help you: Before the advent of flush toilets, no member of the human race ever took a dump-did they? Something starting to smell fishy in New Brunswick? Are you staring to see some parallels? Same exact logic you have used to try and impress us all here.

-Just follow that line of reasoning through, and maybe you will be able to see what a complete dumbass you look like.

Ok, you have proven two things to us all:

1. You're an idiot. No surprise there.

2. You haven't been at ASA very long, and have no clue how far things have come in the IT side of the company since SkyWest purchased us.

You do realize that there was exactly one computer in the building as recently as 1997, right? Until 2006 the schedules were built more or less by hand. There was a lot of room for efficiencies brought by more advanced software.

The only person who has shown their lack of understanding is you.

Last edited:
I'm no fan of ASA management, but I gotta call it like I see it. crj567 is a dooooooosh!!!!

Ok, you have proven two things to us all:

1. You're an idiot. No surprise there.

2. You haven't been at ASA very long, and have no clue how far things have come in the IT side of the company since SkyWest purchased us.

You do realize that there was exactly one computer in the building as recently as 1997, right? Until 2006 the schedules were built more or less by hand. There was a lot of room for efficiencies brought by more advanced software.

The only person who has shown their lack of understanding is you.

GOSH-

I could have SWORN Delta Had computers when they owned us... Damn-I think I may have even seen a couple of those crazy high-tech things sitting around the lounge as far back as that time!

-You really are not too bright. Are you sure you didn't steal daddy's password and come here to try and play "big boy pilot" with all his friends? You just cannot be an adult of even low-average intelligence if you actually buy that stupid load.

GOSH-

I could have SWORN Delta Had computers when they owned us... Damn-I think I may have even seen a couple of those crazy high-tech things sitting around the lounge as far back as that time!

-You really are not too bright. Are you sure you didn't steal daddy's password and come here to try and play "big boy pilot" with all his friends? You just cannot be an adult of even low-average intelligence if you actually buy that stupid load.

I've covered my position. If you want to have a real discussion about this, PM me. We didn't get computers throughout the company until Delta purchased us. The software to optimize the schedules was purchased in 2006. I'm not going to argue with someone who doesn't know WTF they are talking about any more.

I've covered my position. If you want to have a real discussion about this, PM me. We didn't get computers throughout the company until Delta purchased us. The software to optimize the schedules was purchased in 2006. I'm not going to argue with someone who doesn't know WTF they are talking about any more.

I am not going to argue with anyone who does know WTF a bad schedule is-you don't crawl out from the G.O. long enough to fly the kind of crap we do. In fact-if you are who I suspect you are, you haven't flown an actual schedule for more than a month at a time in the last 15 years.

Plus-you are too retarded to understand the dynamics of the situation. What is the point in wasting my time with such a tool?

-Go and write some more pilot-bashing letters to Aviation Week and USA Today. Make sure you do your best to destroy our profession a little more.

Last edited:
Well, I won't join the "computer" argument.

My thoughts are so what! I don't care if 4 day trips are more efficient for the company. And I don't want my union reps caring what is efficient for the company! I want them to care about what is efficient for me.

I am sure it would be efficient for the company if we all worked for free. Who's in?

Now, I know there has to be a balance. But I would bet there is not a huge difference in the cost of a 16 hr. 4 day and a 20 hr. 3 day. When you factor in hotel cost, per diem cost, paying pilots min day vs paying pilots to fly. Especially if you could measure the fuel expense of a happy pilot vs a pissed off pilot.

The only explanation I have ever seen made compared something like a 13 hr 4 day to something like a 10 hr 3 day. I want to see some real numbers on a well built 3 day.

I believe the difference will not be that much. And that small amount is just the cost of doing business.

My thoughts are so what! I don't care if 4 day trips are more efficient for the company. And I don't want my union reps caring what is efficient for the company! I want them to care about what is efficient for me.

I am sure it would be efficient for the company if we all worked for free. Who's in?

Now, I know there has to be a balance. But I would bet there is not a huge difference in the cost of a 16 hr. 4 day and a 20 hr. 3 day. When you factor in hotel cost, per diem cost, paying pilots min day vs paying pilots to fly. Especially if you could measure the fuel expense of a happy pilot vs a pissed off pilot.

The only explanation I have ever seen made compared something like a 13 hr 4 day to something like a 10 hr 3 day. I want to see some real numbers on a well built 3 day.

I believe the difference will not be that much. And that small amount is just the cost of doing business.

One job of a union is to create jobs through contractual provisions. What creates more jobs: all trips being super efficient 24 hour 3 days or 30 hour 4 days or having some/lots of trips being only 10 hour 3 days and 15 hour 4 days? Building less efficient trips, while we think they suck, helps create extra jobs.

So its hard for the union to argue for every trip to max out available flight hours and then argue that, oh ********************, you just furloughed 350 guys because all of the sudden every pilot just became more efficient.

I have no problem with your post. I think there should be a good balance between keeping the staffing level as efficient as practical, and keeping the variety of trips at an acceptable level. Surely there is a middle-ground, and it certainly needs work. We have been WAY too understaffed, which is why we have been suffering through 4 day trips. And I whole-heartedly agree that management should try their best to keep the morale high, since that affects so many aspects of the operation. As with all of life, there is a medium point somewhere.

My only point was to refute the ignorance of that other guy. In no way am I defending the 4 day trips, or saying that the lines have been good lately. I was just explaining why the 4 day trips come when we get short staffed. It is quite simple, the use of 4 day trips requires fewer crews, and we haven't had any to spare.

Yes we are short staffed and have been for some time. Our Mekong pilots just departed for Viet Nam. And yet no action from company in relief. Perhaps even more Chief Pilot harassment/intimidation is in order to keep us buoyed up. I wonder how much longer our management expects us (especially the reserves) to be able to continue with their efficient scheduling model before they run us into the ground.

Latest resources

Back