• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Hiring, according to Air Inc.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
HA! Funny you should mention that. My last flight physical was interrupted by a sales :cartman: BABE :cartman: handing out free samples of a male erectile disfunction cure. My Doctor got so distracted that my physical was instantly over and I passed, without even a vision test.

I self administered the test with the help of a nurse just to ensure my vision was holding in there uncorrected.

And the bill was still $220.

If you aren't paying the $15 copay only for your medical, you're seeing the wrong doc! Pm me if you want the gouge.

Ok, I'll give you the 59+364 argument. Just keep in mind that this same guy will be there at 64+364.

Using your scenario, how would you feel about the 60 year old captain with the hidden heart condition (who the doc pencilwhipped) paired with a 200 hr FO going into AVL at night, no radar, and terrible weather, landing ILS 16 after a 6 leg day and 14 duty hours.

Cleared direct Broad River, direct Keans, full ILS 16. On the initial approach at Broad River, the CA croaks.

Now what?

That's a problem, and it is probably happening now with captains who are under 60 and have hidden heart conditions... how many has CAL had recently?

Why don't we make sure that BOTH pilots are fully capable in the event the other croaks.... I have my doubts now.... I know we have FO's that couldn't handle your senario above....

Your not going to eliminate the situation of the captain possibly becoming incapacitated regardless of whether age 60 changes or not... Maybe we should set higher standards for 121 crewmembers..... both for safety and for collective bargaining.....

That's a problem, and it is probably happening now with captains who are under 60 and have hidden heart conditions... how many has CAL had recently?

Why don't we make sure that BOTH pilots are fully capable in the event the other croaks.... I have my doubts now.... I know we have FO's that couldn't handle your senario above....

Your not going to eliminate the situation of the captain possibly becoming incapacitated regardless of whether age 60 changes or not... Maybe we should set higher standards for 121 crewmembers..... both for safety and for collective bargaining.....

Exactly. While your were responding, you missed my edit. That's why I'll take the 23 year old over the 60+ year old any day.

I agree that the standards need to rise, and it's going to have to come from the FAA since the airlines won't do it and the union doesn't care to (or is afraid to).

Exactly. While your were responding, you missed my edit. That's why I'll take the 23 year old over the 60+ year old any day.

I agree that the standards need to rise, and it's going to have to come from the FAA since the airlines won't do it and the union doesn't care to (or is afraid to).

D@mmit we're starting to agree again....

Who is more likely to stand up to management when pushed... the 60 year old, or the 23 year old who wants to go to Delta...

Who is more likely to stand up to management when pushed... the 60 year old, or the 23 year old who wants to go to Delta...
The 23 year old if he is smart.

Age 60 has always been an economic arguement wrapped up in a safety wrapper. Pilots are less and less likely to be the hard drinking, chain smoking, skirt chasers that were around when Ernie Gann's predecessors made up the age 60 rule. The change in lifestyle, along with the advancements in health care, can result in some pilots functioning well into their eighties.

It would be a good topic for another thread - but getting some excercise, cutting the drinking down to a glass or two of wine a week and taking up new hobbies that push your mind a little make an incredible difference as we age.

Last edited:

Age 60 has always been an economic arguement wrapped up in a safety wrapper. Pilots are less and less likely to be the hard drinking, chain smoking, skirt chasers that were around when Ernie Gann's predecessors made up the age 60 rule. The change in lifestyle, along with the advancements in health care, can result in some pilots functioning well into their eighties.

It would be a good topic for another thread - but getting some excercise, cutting the drinking down to a glass or two of wine a week and taking up new hobbies that push your mind a little make an incredible difference as we age.

A glass or two a week? Good god man! Its not even noon and I'm finished for the next two months

You lost me. But I agree that safety is a red herring in the issue.

I would say the near 60 crowd today WAS the skirt-chasing, chain-smoking, heavy drinking crowd of that era who probably didn't take care of themselves and now suffer health problems. Quite honestly, many ALPA insiders are saying that age 65 won't matter, because few pilots over 60 will be able to keep their medical anyhow.

As you said, young people today are healthier and tend take better care of themselves then the previous generation. When they are 60, they will be much healthier than today's 60 year old. So by then, an age extension will be useful and appropriate.

I have read that the root of the age 60 rule was in large part do to the entering of the jet era for airline travel. The fear was that the old guys would not be able to keep up with the added speed (I would add say extra complexity too if I hadn't had one of my former bosses recount flying Connie's for Eastern) of the new jets. The age sixty rule was brought about to weed out the old guys that were senior and sure to be the first ones to fly the jets entering service.

I think I read that in a Bob Buck book.

Well, throw that idea in the trash can, and go ask the older AA pilots how the age 60 rule came to life. They will tell ya

Latest resources

Back