• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Hiring, according to Air Inc.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
puppy - check your facts. standards has seen an increase in resumes since new LCPs can now remain on line when they finish training. according to the head IPs at FSI only threes new hire this year have washed out, though several required additional training they said it has been better than expected.

asa's performance lately has been great - granted the weather has been real good. the reason for the increase in hiring is the increase in summer block hours. we are going to see a record increase in block hours for our fleet this summer. things will slow down big time in september but by then delta will start converting the 50s of ours they own to 700s or greater. we stand a good chance provided our contract gets finished of getting those conversions - but of course its up to Jer.

From MJ's office, she has processed out 4 ground school busts and a cpt.

That was the plan. Unfortunately we are not in delta's the cost range for that aircraft. If ALPA would stop asking for the moon we could settle this contract and get back to growing.

Scott

You aren't as funny as the original Scott Hall impersonator. Give it up.

I know we all want to believe that a 200 hour pilot can't do this job. What the airlines are about to discover is that they can. They are eager to please and are trying there hardest. Expect this discovery to bite us in the a$$ in a couple years.
An autopilot can fly the airplane better than any of us the minute you plug it in. It's very first approach is perfect.

The reason pilots are on the airplane is for their decision making ability. Only a pilot can look at a contaminated runway, the winds, the aircraft's weight, airport layout, deferrals that effect performance and make a judgment call. Only a pilot can perform a close in approach in visual conditions. Only pilots know the difference between "expedite" and "unstable." Only pilots can deal with a bride who is in tears because your airline says she can not carry her wedding dress on the airplane.

200 hour pilots can fly an RJ sim. A very few can actually fly an airplane to almost a level that I would call basic proficiency. But, it puts all the decision making on the Captain. There is very little redundancy in the brains department.

There is a reason why ASA pays senior Captains $104 an hour and new hires $19 an hour. There is also a good reason not to pair Newly Qualified Pilots together. Experience, if properly applied with the right attitude, is the most important safety feature of an aircraft.

An autopilot can fly the airplane better than any of us the minute you plug it in. It's very first approach is perfect.

The reason pilots are on the airplane is for their decision making ability. Only a pilot can look at a contaminated runway, the winds, the aircraft's weight, airport layout, deferrals that effect performance and make a judgment call. Only a pilot can perform a close in approach in visual conditions. Only pilots know the difference between "expedite" and "unstable." Only pilots can deal with a bride who is in tears because your airline says she can not carry her wedding dress on the airplane.

200 hour pilots can fly an RJ sim. A very few can actually fly an airplane to almost a level that I would call basic proficiency. But, it puts all the decision making on the Captain. There is very little redundancy in the brains department.

There is a reason why ASA pays senior Captains $104 an hour and new hires $19 an hour. There is also a good reason not to pair Newly Qualified Pilots together. Experience, if properly applied with the right attitude, is the most important safety feature of an aircraft.

Well said Fins....

One must ask then, why has ALPA said that a pilot becomes dangerous when he turns 60, but the situation of a 20 year old with 200 hours is perfectly safe?

Which airplane would you rather put your family on with bad weather.... one with two 60 year olds with over 40,000 hours combined, or one with a 23 old captain with 2500 hours and an FO with 200 hours.... Which is safer?

If ALPA is using age 60 as a safety issue, why not minimum qualifications for 121 operations? ATP mins for 121 cockpit crewmembers..... In addition to safety, it would help with collective bargaining......

Well said Fins....

One must ask then, why has ALPA said that a pilot becomes dangerous when he turns 60, but the situation of a 20 year old with 200 hours is perfectly safe?

Which airplane would you rather put your family on with bad weather.... one with two 60 year olds with over 40,000 hours combined, or one with a 23 old captain with 2500 hours and an FO with 200 hours.... Which is safer?

Just one quick question: Does one or both the 60 year old have a hidden heart condition? Are you sure? Maybe a little early onset Alzheimers or dementia? Dizzy spells? Easily fatigued? Certainly Dr Williams didn't just sign them off? That never happens!

I think that if a captain has amassed 2500 hours by the age of 23 and survived, he's probably a pretty good pilot. Even if he doesn't have the experience to back up his decisions. The "more experienced" pilots tend to jump to conclusions based on past experience, IMO.

Just one quick question: Does one or both the 60 year old have a hidden heart condition? Are you sure? Maybe a little early onset Alzheimers or dementia? Dizzy spells? Easily fatigued? Certainly Dr Williams didn't just sign them off? That never happens!

I think that if a captain has amassed 2500 hours by the age of 23 and survived, he's probably a pretty good pilot. Even if he doesn't have the experience to back up his decisions. The "more experienced" pilots tend to jump to conclusions based on past experience, IMO.

Hey just like old times.... we don't agree on this:D

Let's just say they both have that heart condition for your argument to work....

Didn't they probably both have that heart condition when they were 59 years and 364 days old? Was that safe?

What if one of these captains with the heart condition flies with one of these 200 hour folks and then croaks... with bad weather, in the mountains.....

I'll take my chances with the experienced crew....

Hey just like old times.... we don't agree on this:D

Let's just say they both have that heart condition for your argument to work....

Didn't they probably both have that heart condition when they were 59 years and 364 days old? Was that safe?

What if one of these captains with the heart condition flies with one of these 200 hour folks and then croaks... with bad weather, in the mountains.....

I'll take my chances with the experienced crew....

Ok, I'll give you the 59+364 argument. Just keep in mind that this same guy will be there at 64+364.

Using your scenario, how would you feel about the 60 year old captain with the hidden heart condition (who the doc pencilwhipped) paired with a 200 hr FO going into AVL at night, no radar, and terrible weather, landing ILS 16 after a 6 leg day and 14 duty hours.

Cleared direct Broad River, direct Keans, full ILS 16. On the initial approach at Broad River, the CA croaks.

Now what?

The 23 year old is much less likely to croak in the first place. I'll take that one any day.

HA! Funny you should mention that. My last flight physical was interrupted by a sales :cartman: BABE :cartman: handing out free samples of a male erectile disfunction cure. My Doctor got so distracted that my physical was instantly over and I passed, without even a vision test.

I self administered the test with the help of a nurse just to ensure my vision was holding in there uncorrected.

And the bill was still $220.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back