Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

scott hall

13% profit margin :)
Its official. Per J.A. hats are optional.

Its official. Per J.A. hats are optional.

This is great news for all. Every other airline should follow suit. The hat tends to make people look like bell boys. Not having the hat actually makes us pilots look more professional. The hat has probably been the most over rated part of the uniform for the longest time.

This is great news for all. Every other airline should follow suit. The hat tends to make people look like bell boys. Not having the hat actually makes us pilots look more professional. The hat has probably been the most over rated part of the uniform for the longest time.

Except when pilots want something like a fair contract. When pilots do informational picketing all of a sudden they want to be noticed and respected and paid more.

When ever any organization wants to sell the image of an airline pilot the hat is used.

It is not about the pilots but the preception they project. Image is everything...

Whenever pilots complain about the hat it is always argued from a personal perspective.. it looks dorky, it's uncomfortable, etc.... But what does the public think.... (watch the replies to this thread... there will be no pragmaitc arguement: pilots will agrue personal reasons and try to speak for the public, managment etc.. But there will no effective professional arguement against the hat...)

Same ol arguement... I want repsect but I'm not willing to wear a uniform, etc...

Other classic arguements that don't work: I'll wear the hat when they pay me more.

And when pilots interview they are willing to do just about anything for the job and for some reason good behavior, manners, a clean uniform, including the hat and professionalism were all acceptable conditions of employment...

Not wearing the hat used to be rebelling against management and authority... a valid point.... when you got a nice CBA...

But now, more than ever, we need leverage at the negotiation table... so why not make everyday an informational picketing day? Make every day a professional pilot image. If that is too uncool or difficult then what are you doing here? Don't do it for yourself... do it for all of us who are trying to save the profession. I'm willing to wear the hat to have a better career.

What? the hat makes the difference.. Well, look at the FedEx guys. They wore hats when they picketed and look at thier CBA.

You can't project a professional image one day to picket and expect it to make up for all the other days. Kinda like studying.. if you wait till the last night you will probably do poorly on your sim ride.

If you dis the hat, what next? Where does it end.... ???

Management doesn't care... they just assume we all look like FA's and gate agents... and pay us the same too...

My personal opinion on the hat? I have one, but it doesn't matter... The professional image is more important...... It is not about what we think.. rather what they think....

And the W@lmartization of the airline career continues. Nothing looks better than a fat sloppy pilot walking around the terminal with a quarter pounder in one hand, extra large soda in the other and a big mayo stain on his pants. All that without the hat. Priceless!

I never cared one way or the other about hats until I bumped my head while getting off the crew bus in ATL. The post on the logo stabbed me in the head and caused A LOT of bleeding. I had a head-ache for the rest of the night and consequently don't much care for the hat anymore. I do think they look better though.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back