• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA grapevine..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Having flown both the 200/700 at ASA and the 3/5/7 at SWA there is not a safety problem but a line in the sand problem. Once the MEC decided it was not safe, when can they back down from that statement? Once they established the different payscales when can they go backwards to one rate. The problem is not in the operation of the aircraft, most pilots are capable, the problem is the line drawn in the sand. Who redraws it first at ASA, and a what costs do they go before it is too late for the good of the membership?

ASA MEC and membership has dug in on an issue that no one else has in the industry, is it smart? We will see, is it still in the best interest of the membership? No

Both Nelson and Drew (of course they are no longer here) were against dual qualification on the two airplanes. The current management is pro-dual qualification because that's what SkyWest wants.

The difference between the CRJ2/7 and the 757/767 is that great lengths were made during the design of the 757/767 to make sure things like cockpit height and landing attitude were as close as possible. I have never flown either obviously but I have heard they land about the same. The CRJ2/7 land completely different... and that's what would be the problem, not the system differences.

Are you kidding me? It's a ********************_in airplane, you not knowing the difference is apparently the problem.

Just look at a 50 coming down final, then look at a 700 coming down final. The 50 will be about 4 degrees nose down, while the 700 will be about 5 degrees nose up. That is a significant difference.

Then, since watching airplanes is what we all love anyway, compare a 75 and a 76. Both will be at the same attitude coming down final.
That is why ASA is against dual qual.

We have a winner! This is it. They don't know. All they know is that we must take pay cuts to remain competitive, C concourse will be renovated in 2006, We are going to above 50% staffing on the ramp, they didn't have sex with that woman, and they actually voted for the war before they voted against it. They are nothing but doom and gloom'rs and can't wait for the Gang of 4 to jump in and try and sell us out. Management my a$$, all you have to do is go out on ramp 5 last night and there was 2 crews to work 9 simultaneous flights. They don't have a clue, except they know it is all the pilots fault, and every delay is crew related.

Dick

Dick,
Don't hold back man! Tell us how you really feel about it. ;)

My old college room mate just got a call from ASA for an interview in late September. The hiring is through attrition. I would be willing to bet that the new GECAS aircraft are replacing some of our current 50 seaters for some reason. I can't see them being growth aircraft.

Just got a call? In October? To go interview in September...hmmm.
I must be smoking something...

The class is Nov 8. Am I getting shipped to LA or what??? Not that I care, but ATL would be a tad more convenient. If that happens, realistically, any opinions on how long it would take to get back to ATL??

Just look at a 50 coming down final, then look at a 700 coming down final. The 50 will be about 4 degrees nose down, while the 700 will be about 5 degrees nose up. That is a significant difference.

Then, since watching airplanes is what we all love anyway, compare a 75 and a 76. Both will be at the same attitude coming down final.
That is why ASA is against dual qual.

The 200 on final and on speed will be around 2.5 degrees below the horizon and the 700, same conditions, is usually right on the horizon. So the difference is very little. The only item of significance is the height of the flight deck when the mains touch down, and that is not too bad.

The only reason ASA (pilots) are against dual qual is because of ALPA. If the company threw a bunch of money at it, ALPA would say it's perfectly safe.

I'm a ASA CA and having flown both I think it's ludicrous to say we won't and its b/c of safety. Grow up your a pilot and act like one, you will fly what our company tells us to, they will train you accordingly b/c of a group of people called the FAA. Plus we have one of the best training departments in the industry.

The class is Nov 8. Am I getting shipped to LA or what??? Not that I care, but ATL would be a tad more convenient. If that happens, realistically, any opinions on how long it would take to get back to ATL??

Unfortunately, in this industry you might as well get used to what isn't the "most convenient" for you, your family, etc. Pretty much Murphy's Law rules...if you want it, plan on not getting it. That way, for the times you do get something good, you'll feel like you won the lottery.

I think that the post above about no one bidding LA and new hires going there is probably on the money. As for getting back to ATL, well, guess that will largely depend on 1) how long LA is a domicile, 2) how soon the contract gets done and hiring picks up.

Good luck.

Latest resources

Back