• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA grapevine..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My old college room mate just got a call from ASA for an interview in late September. The hiring is through attrition. I would be willing to bet that the new GECAS aircraft are replacing some of our current 50 seaters for some reason. I can't see them being growth aircraft.

My old college room mate just got a call from ASA for an interview in late September. The hiring is through attrition. I would be willing to bet that the new GECAS aircraft are replacing some of our current 50 seaters for some reason. I can't see them being growth aircraft.

Why not?
Don't we need more RJs for LAX?

I hope so, but figuring we'd be hiring more people faster if this were the case.

Management doesn't want to hire any more people than they have to because that would shatter their little story that we can't grow with the pilots being so unreasonable at the table. So they will hire what they have to for attrition and have us go WAY understaffed while we get new aircraft. They have done this before, it is another play out of theie negotiating playbook. Unfortunatly they don't realize that some of us remember every one of their tricks from the last contract.

In a class of CR2 differences (coming from CR7) (Nov. awards) this week Mike Mclain told them to keep their CR7 materials. Who knows whats next.

question from a guy who never flew the RJ, but how different can the -200 and the -700 be? How long a school is that? Do any regionals fly them both in the same category?

question from a guy who never flew the RJ, but how different can the -200 and the -700 be? How long a school is that? Do any regionals fly them both in the same category?

The 200 and 700 are like the 75/76 similar but different. The CRJ 700/900 are a lot more similar. Airlines like Mesa fly all 3 (possibly the same day), I believe at Skywest they keep to the same airplane per trip (3 or 4 days etc).
At ASA the differences class is a 1 day class, 8 hours.

Someone counted 350 differences between the CR2 and the CR7. I have thousands of of hours in each. They are significant differences. The engines are FADEC on the 700, while cable operated on the 200. The bleeds are completely different. The 200 uses pnuematic TR's, while the 700 uses hydraulic. Many of the self tests are automated on the 700. Performance, well the 700 is like the 200 with 3 engines. Landings are a complete different animal. The 200 is quite consistant in making good landings, where as the 700 is a true art to do a greaser.

All that said, I do feel you can safely fly both. The things that would facititate that would be consoladating the POH's into one. I would want to fly both airplanes each month. It would be dangerous to be dual qual'd and then go a year without the other.

As for those wondering about getting LAX, I think you can bet on getting assigned LAX. On the last award, there were 8 openings for FO in LAX and nobody bid it and they did not JR Assign it, so the only solution is a new hire class. Plus the company does not have to pay moving expenses for new hires. Hopefully the company is being responsible and hiring out of So Cal and not So Tenn.

They are so similar, yes different operating systems but the pilot still does mostly the same things. If SWA and mainline (75/76) can fly those very different types then we can fly these two. I agree though recency is a must.

Having flown both the 200/700 at ASA and the 3/5/7 at SWA there is not a safety problem but a line in the sand problem. Once the MEC decided it was not safe, when can they back down from that statement? Once they established the different payscales when can they go backwards to one rate. The problem is not in the operation of the aircraft, most pilots are capable, the problem is the line drawn in the sand. Who redraws it first at ASA, and a what costs do they go before it is too late for the good of the membership?

ASA MEC and membership has dug in on an issue that no one else has in the industry, is it smart? We will see, is it still in the best interest of the membership? No

Who knows whats next.

We have a winner! This is it. They don't know. All they know is that we must take pay cuts to remain competitive, C concourse will be renovated in 2006, We are going to above 50% staffing on the ramp, they didn't have sex with that woman, and they actually voted for the war before they voted against it. They are nothing but doom and gloom'rs and can't wait for the Gang of 4 to jump in and try and sell us out. Management my a$$, all you have to do is go out on ramp 5 last night and there was 2 crews to work 9 simultaneous flights. They don't have a clue, except they know it is all the pilots fault, and every delay is crew related.

Dick

Latest resources

Back