• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA furloughs 80 pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My only issue for contributing money to our newly furloughed guys is that not all of them need it.

There is a big difference between offering money to a guy who has a family and student loans than offering money to a guy who's parents paid $180k for him to go to riddle and he now plans to go back to live with his parents for the next year.

My humble suggestion would be that it be a direct help rather than involving the company or anyone else.

Personally, I'm not an advocate of picking up open time, but it's an inevitability.

How about for the displaced captains- what if they pick up open time as an FO to meet the financial picture they painted when they were Captains? Some of the Captains on the ATR were in the left seat for nearly a full year before going back to being an FO. Is it wrong for them to make up the loss in pay through extra work?

As for a list of those that do, it's just not going to happen. Why would the company make that information accessible to the union in order to prevent pilots from doing the very thing they foster? Secondly, our companie's record keeping and payroll departments have sucked beyond belief for so long it's not even funny..........would you really trust them to get an accurate list, or even display the right information with the right names? How would you like to find yourself on that list knowing full well that you have never flown anything from the open time pot. Try telling people it wasn't you- yea, that's gonna be believable to your comrades that see your mistaken name on the list.

The solution is quite simple, the way I see it. The objective is to get our people back. Keep performance up, fuel burn down, and do what you can to be as cheap as possible, and the company will have a future that requires the skill of those that are on furlough. Open time may influence the staffing model, but it's going to be negligible at best........

If you want to take care of them- forget the open time issue and donate money or pay into the pot for their COBRA, etc.
OMG, picking up open time will directly affect the guys on the street, it will make the company able to do more with less! As for keeping performance up and fuel burn down. Never mind, you will never understand, the one and only power we as a group have is our ability to control efficiencies of operation. The only thing the companies understand is cash, you save it for them they will not only gladly take it, but expect more, and will even take more of yours for themselves. SKYW only recognizes one thing, money, if you don't understand that, too bad you will lose every time, and in fact already have, ask the 80.
You guys embrace Brad, good for you, watch your wallet, while you are hugging he will slip out of your pocket and in to his own. We "dealt him and ace" and regret(and are paying for it daily) it dearly!
Good luck, you are gonna need it!
PBR

OMG, picking up open time will directly affect the guys on the street, it will make the company able to do more with less! As for keeping performance up and fuel burn down. Never mind, you will never understand, the one and only power we as a group have is our ability to control efficiencies of operation. The only thing the companies understand is cash, you save it for them they will not only gladly take it, but expect more, and will even take more of yours for themselves. SKYW only recognizes one thing, money, if you don't understand that, too bad you will lose every time, and in fact already have, ask the 80.
You guys embrace Brad, good for you, watch your wallet, while you are hugging he will slip out of your pocket and in to his own. We "dealt him and ace" and regret(and are paying for it daily) it dearly!
Good luck, you are gonna need it!
PBR

PBR- actually, I do understand. I understand that the company will cover the flying in open time regardless of whether it is picked up or not- they'll just get crafty in how they construct the lines or reserves....Not to mention everyones favorite- THE EXTENSION (in the rectum via ACARS)

You still didn't address those that took a 40% paycut, and continue to get bypassed with junior people on equipment they should be holding. I believe this will answer things in regard to "hugging Brad". Frankly, I'm not feeling any love here from management, so how much do you think I've got for them. Let me help you out with that....................NONE.

I'm as unhappy about the situation as everyone else, and I hurt for our furloughed guys. However, thinking that buzzing by open time is going to get 80 guys back is a joke. I still contend it's negligible at best. However, I guess the proof will be in the pudding when the lines get adjusted with their absense- how much open time will there be to pick up?

Frankly, I think that if a list is in order, it should be with the tards that can't figure out how to read a memo on cost index flying and how it works. Don't you think the quickest way to get 80 folks back is through growth, or in the least, survival? We're stuck in a telephone booth in a knife fight, and the afformentioned is the fix to guarantee we come out on top- for the long haul.

IMO, when reserve coverage starts becoming low everyday and most reserves are flying over MMG, THAT is what will bring the 80 back.

Now whether not picking up opentime will make the above happen is up for debate.

To me it depends on how much opentime there is.

I'm thinking people are going to pick up open time no matter how much you guys want to argue about it. Everyone has their reasons. As for me, I'll leave the open time pot alone til the 80 return, which is tough since I'm usually a whore for building my lines up. Times are tough, and we'll all feel the pinch in some way, unfortunately some more than others.

Glenn,

Do you fly your legs according to the CI? What do these Capt's say to you if they aren't following them, but you are trying to?

My captains that don't embrace CI have told me in the initial brief, "you fly it like you want to, I'll fly it like I want to... deal?"

Last edited:
PBR- actually, I do understand. I understand that the company will cover the flying in open time regardless of whether it is picked up or not- they'll just get crafty in how they construct the lines or reserves....Not to mention everyones favorite- THE EXTENSION (in the rectum via ACARS)
Ask yourself how much the 80 are hurting, then call in "Not Fit to Fly", Sick or unfit, problem solved, one pilot at a time will solve it. If you aren't man enough to hang tough, oh well.

You still didn't address those that took a 40% paycut, and continue to get bypassed with junior people on equipment they should be holding. I believe this will answer things in regard to "hugging Brad". Frankly, I'm not feeling any love here from management, so how much do you think I've got for them. Let me help you out with that....................NONE.
No answer, sorry, Brad sucks and I am glad he is your problem!

I'm as unhappy about the situation as everyone else, and I hurt for our furloughed guys. However, thinking that buzzing by open time is going to get 80 guys back is a joke. I still contend it's negligible at best. However, I guess the proof will be in the pudding when the lines get adjusted with their absense- how much open time will there be to pick up?
You gotta draw the line somewhere, if I found out you were picking up open time while I was on furlough, we would have some problems, personally.

Frankly, I think that if a list is in order, it should be with the tards that can't figure out how to read a memo on cost index flying and how it works. Don't you think the quickest way to get 80 folks back is through growth, or in the least, survival? We're stuck in a telephone booth in a knife fight, and the afformentioned is the fix to guarantee we come out on top- for the long haul.
The growth "Myth" is the past, SKYW works on the "work 'em like a rented mule" philosophy, if you don't stand up you will take it in the pooter sitting down.
PBR

You gotta draw the line somewhere, if I found out you were picking up open time while I was on furlough, we would have some problems, personally.

PBR

Sorry you feel that way, but "we" wouldn't have a problem..........."you" would. If you wanted to tote that hate, it's your baggage. Personally, I'll keep to the Hawaiian shirt and flip flop mentality of WTF ever......It keeps my blood pressure down: )

Although, you and some of the others here do have a point regarding the amount of open time. I will say, I will be watching closely to judge wheather or not we're being taken advantage of at the expense of the 80. If there's an abundance of it, then forget it- should have had some more people on call. However, if it's at a level that I feel is acceptable, then I may be inclined to work my line up a trip or two, frankly. I guess we'll see what happens.

As for the myth on growth- I still feel that, unfortunately, not all the players will survive 09'. Personally, I'd rather be on the winning team.

Cut our pay in half like I did, then come to me and talk about "manning up". I'm already looking for a second job.........Does that need elaboration in regard to how that is working out. And no, I don't have five ex's with a mistress, a mansion, and a brand new vette..........

Don't Cut Off Nose to Spite Face

If you do not pick up open time, you save the company money because they will give it to an idle reserve who is being paid anyway. You play right into management's hands by refusing to pick up open time.

The only time this will not be true is when all of the reserves are going over guarantee. Don't pick up open time when it gets to that point!

But for now, you should help yourself.

My captains that don't embrace CI have told me in the initial brief, "you fly it like you want to, I'll fly it like I want to... deal?"

It hasn't happened often, but this sums it up. Not an exact quote, but pretty close. I'll then assume the role of the helpful FO sharing what I just learned in training, and the response is exactly like trying to teach my mom how to use her email: semi-polite attentiveness followed by incomprehension.

Latest resources

Back