• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA furloughs 80 pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I feel for these guys I really do but to be honest with you I have tons of my own bills to pay for my family. I have cut my 401K back quit the ESSP and struggling in other ways. $50 a month is a lot to me and maybe others. I like your thought but I have to take care of my family first.

Your a class act.

Your a class act.

Maybe, he, along with the rest of us, have also been financially affected by the economic conditions. Would you rather him be in Bankruptcy Court or being irresponsible to his family's financial stability?

In this economy--we need people working and being more productive to keep our Company strong! Otherwise, there will be more misery down the road for more people! As one of the furloughees so wisely said, he wanted his company to do what it had to do to survive and get stronger so that hopefully he had a Good job to come back to!

Personally, I'm not an advocate of picking up open time, but it's an inevitability.

How about for the displaced captains- what if they pick up open time as an FO to meet the financial picture they painted when they were Captains? Some of the Captains on the ATR were in the left seat for nearly a full year before going back to being an FO. Is it wrong for them to make up the loss in pay through extra work?

As for a list of those that do, it's just not going to happen. Why would the company make that information accessible to the union in order to prevent pilots from doing the very thing they foster? Secondly, our companie's record keeping and payroll departments have sucked beyond belief for so long it's not even funny..........would you really trust them to get an accurate list, or even display the right information with the right names? How would you like to find yourself on that list knowing full well that you have never flown anything from the open time pot. Try telling people it wasn't you- yea, that's gonna be believable to your comrades that see your mistaken name on the list.

The solution is quite simple, the way I see it. The objective is to get our people back. Keep performance up, fuel burn down, and do what you can to be as cheap as possible, and the company will have a future that requires the skill of those that are on furlough. Open time may influence the staffing model, but it's going to be negligible at best........

If you want to take care of them- forget the open time issue and donate money or pay into the pot for their COBRA, etc.

The best way is get everyone on the mainline seniority list.... course with all the lifers that have taken hold at the various regionals that prospect is less and less likely every day. Even though many of those would have loved the idea 10 years ago when they were young enough but still had the black marks keeping them from going the way they should have......

I sent an email to BH and he really liked the idea. He indicated that he would talk with a few people about getting this going. Join with me to donate 50.00 per month.

I'm not ASA...or a regional pilot for that matter...but where do I send a check?

If you really feel that strongly about this issue, I would suggest that you should do exactly that. There are 80 people that are soon to be out of a job. Why not drop a personal message with your name in each of their mailboxes? With a month until unemployment hits, I would imagine that more than one of these affected pilots will be checking their mailboxes with the hope that the situation has changed and that they will still be employed in the near future; It's fairly certain that they would receive your declaration of priorities.

With regards to your assertion that the best way to return these folks to the line would be to pick up open time created by their absence, well, I would opine that not a single one of the 80 on the list would share your feelings on the matter.

Respectfully,

Glenn Wickline
ATR72/CRJ200 FO

I hate that we are furloughing. I want that to be out there. I would gladly give $50 or $100 a month to be distributed to those furloughed.

What we should be focusing on is getting them back as quickly as possible, and to do that we must do our jobs efficiently, on time, and with good customer service. Costing the company money by paying me or you 1.5 the normal cost of the trip is not efficient. Believe me, if we start junior manning because people aren't picking up open time, any motivation that people had to support the cause will be gone the first time they miss a day off or an early duty-out.

The company isn't going to recall anyone just because people aren't picking up open time. Not picking it up will not save anyone's job, it will just make our operation more expensive, and make line pilots (and reserves too) suffer. Reserves will come in for a day line, and go home 6 days later.

If you think that not picking up open time will help, call or email Scott Hall, and ask him what he thinks. I'm sure we would all be interested to see what the management perspective is on the subject.

The fact is that you who are against it feel the way you do based on pure emotion. You just "feel" that it is wrong, and don't understand the ramifications. (No one will be recalled, and YOU will be junior assigned more frequently.)

I don't have a dog in the fight, you know that. I'm just trying to put some reason into the argument.

The best way is get everyone on the mainline seniority list.... course with all the lifers that have taken hold at the various regionals that prospect is less and less likely every day. Even though many of those would have loved the idea 10 years ago when they were young enough but still had the black marks keeping them from going the way they should have......

hahahahah. Black marks..

What we should be focusing on is getting them back as quickly as possible, and to do that we must do our jobs efficiently, on time, and with good customer service.

On this, I believe that we agree completely.

More than once I've already received mini-lectures from guys that don't understand, or, are simply too lazy to fly the CI speeds. To OMA, no less. I even came across one guy who swore that that CI was not yet activated. Dumb, Dumb, DUMB.

Slightly more rational, now, I'll freely admit: you might have better data on the cost differences between flying the existing pilots occasionally at extension pay versus bringing furloughed pilots back on line. I would love to see this data, accurately and honestly (not spun to serve any agenda), made public.

Glenn,

Do you fly your legs according to the CI? What do these Capt's say to you if they aren't following them, but you are trying to?

Latest resources

Back