• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA finally Sold....really

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If Delta goes BK, and they will, Not much will change from a travelers point of view. Look at United. Sure they had some schedule changes and different equipment, but they are still flying as if they were not in BK to the outside public. Delta is not going away, BK or not.

vc10 said:
How will Skywest prevent Skywest and ASA from being characterized as a single transportation system, subject to having the workforces being considered as one from a union/non union standpoint?
How did Delta manage to do exactly what you suggest with ASA and Comair since 1999? With the same union at both companies? Just because the parent company changes, why would you automatically assume circumstances would be different than they were? In fact, since SkyWest serves UAL as well, it seems even more possible that they will remain seperate.

In my opinion, both pilot groups need to start pushing for one list. The airline can keep both airlines alive but using ONE LIST. THIS NEEDS TO BE A PRIORITY.

Long story short

• Mesa bought CCair in 1999.
  • Promised no changes but both airlines would remain separate.
  • Mean while both pilot groups got together and created a merged list on there own.
  • With in 6 months Mesa was asking CCair to take pay cuts for growth (jets)
  • (btw: CCair had a industry+ contract full of work rules that Mesa still doesn't have)
  • Within one yr, Mesa started shrinking CCair while Mesa was growing fast.
  • Every yr Mesa came back to CCair and asked for pay cuts and when turned down, shrunk CCair some more.
  • Mesa then started replacing CCair flights with Mesa flights.
  • Then CCair was gone.
(Mesa pilots got the CCair pilots back to work, using the merged list in 1999 by giving up other QOL improvement in the last contract.:( )

PUSH FOR ONE LIST, EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO GIVE UP A LITTLE IN THE SHORT TERM. OTHER WISE EVERYONE WILL LOSE IN THE LONG TERM. Good Luck guys-Bean

Palerider957 said:
You are an idiot.....

....and I'm an idiot because I find run on paragraphs hard to read?

Spinproof:
I apologize for being computer challenged. I have tried my best to make the paragraphs look like paragraphs. They look good on the draft and the review, then show up in one megaparagraph.
Most of all, however, I'm sorry you failed to grasp what I was trying to say while you were critiquing my typing.
RUMOR OF THE DAY: An ASA Operations Agent told me that he had heard ASA employees would be alllowed to keep Delta flight privileges for four (4) years before losing them. I find that hard to belive.
FACT OF THE DAY: Delta has entered into what Delta calls a "long term ASM contract" with ASA to provide the feeder traffic into the ATL hub for 15 years. This will remain in force no matter what SkyWest does with ASA, no matter how they paint the planes, no matter if they sell ASA again. The entity known as ASA will fly the DL master schedule and provide between 20-40K passengers (daily) for the DL ATL hub.
Again, my apologies to you, Spinproof, for what must be an interminable and uphill battle to read my offerings. This'll probably be the last one, as I am, in fact, paranoid.
Happy landings to all.

I didn't fail to grasp anything. I don't see why you feel anywhere in my comments this applies. It is a simple matter of hitting the return bar a couple of times to seperate the paragraphs. Why is this so difficult to, as you say, grasp!

is that you Nat, if so thanks for all u have done for the pilots at asa we all thank you. Hope that things work out for us all. Improvise , Modify , Adapt , Overcome!

bigshooter said:
is that you Nat, if so thanks for all u have done for the pilots at asa we all thank you. Hope that things work out for us all. Improvise , Modify , Adapt , Overcome!

Well said bigshooter!

ASApilotboy said:
FACT OF THE DAY: Delta has entered into what Delta calls a "long term ASM contract" with ASA to provide the feeder traffic into the ATL hub for 15 years. This will remain in force no matter what SkyWest does with ASA, no matter how they paint the planes, no matter if they sell ASA again. The entity known as ASA will fly the DL master schedule and provide between 20-40K passengers (daily) for the DL ATL hub.

Excuse the skepticism, but that's a classic mgmt statement (one of many) designed to keep the masses from storming off the property and shutting the place down. They have to say that at this time, much like the response to "what will happen to my pass benefits/insurance" is "we will know more during the next 30-60 day transition period" (this was the response at the 1900 meeting last night from SB and BL).
With all this uncertainty mgmt has to spew the "everything is fine" crap so the airline can still (roughly) operate. Without incentives such as nonrev and insurance to keep working at this circus, every ramper, FA, gate agent, and other hourly employee might as well go work elsewhere for better pay and less hassle.
Mgmt probably learned that lesson from the hackjob DFW shutdown. The Sept 8, 2004 1730 meeting content boiled down to "If you are a pilot or FA, you will A) move, B) commute with no commuter clause, or C) quit. If you are not a pilot or FA,you will A) quit, or B) reapply AND re-interview for your current job elsewhere in the company."
There were people crying, fuming mad, mgmt was put on the spot, DB was up there being a jerk, I'll never forget it. Many people started quitting left and right, there was a shortage of rampers on the late shifts for weeks, etc. On Jan 31, the last day of operations, the place was mostly in chaos because it was all over for those poor workers at the end of their shift.

Sure, the ASA -certificate- may be contracted to DL for 15 yrs, blah blah blah, but you can't tell me OO has any obligation to maintain the ASA certificate's future operations with the current personnel. (Who cares about airplanes, thats irrelavent for this discussion.) Regardless of all the happy rhetoric that's going on now, employees would be foolish to think their ATL positions, pay and benefits are not subject to change dramatically with the new ownership.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back