• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Employees JS!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
this is a great opportunity in my opinion for them to see what we do. many other airlines do this.

It's one thing in a 767, another in the CRJ. It's already cramped, add to that the CG issues, and more garbage to brief- I think this is stupid. You can't assume they know anything, unlike mechs, feds, dispatchers or pilots. At least they have been there, done that.

Throw in the questionnaire they have to turn in. WHy don't we just pass out the answers at the gate.

Not trying to embarrass anybody, nor do I intend to write anyone up. All I'm saying is that I'm not willing to do ASA any favors. It's not personal. Management doesn't value the job we do here now, so I'm electing to do my job, and my job only - which does not include joy rides.

Many other airlines do this? So what? Many other airlines also elect to foster a better relationship with their pilots, and between working groups. If I were at a different airline - I would likely have a different opinion.

Not trying to embarrass anybody, nor do I intend to write anyone up. All I'm saying is that I'm not willing to do ASA any favors. It's not personal. Management doesn't value the job we do here now, so I'm electing to do my job, and my job only - which does not include joy rides.

Many other airlines do this? So what? Many other airlines also elect to foster a better relationship with their pilots, and between working groups. If I were at a different airline - I would likely have a different opinion.

1. You implied that this is a safety issue in your previous post. Why would a different airline change this being a safety issue? If it is a safety issue, then it is a safety issue regardless of contract negotiations or regardless of how the company treats you. If this is a safety issue at Mesa, then this is a safety issue at Southwest.

2. How many regionals "elect to foster a better relationship"? CMR? MESA? Mesaba? PNCL? Eagle? PSA?

3. This isn't supposed to be a "favor" for ASA. It's supposed to help us as pilots. It would be helpful to have other employees see things from our point of view and see how things are in the cockpit.

Yeah... welcome aboard.

Last edited:
Authority??

relax mansworld - scott is the do and can auhorize anyone to ride the j/s. every letter he writes goes to the faa. every employee at asa has passed a background check and fbi check.

delta and asa own the j/s, not us. cass is an option avaiable when the seat is not being used. riddle interns have been riding the j/s for years. i think it/s a good idea.

Has someone forgotten the golden law of being a CAPT?? Final Authority! That overrides who "owns" the jumpseat. They, delta and asa have given you the authority to either fill the seat or defer or RIF. A RIF can easily explain why you are uncomfortable with someone that has no idea of the operation occupying the j/s. If this is a problem that is broken by their viewpoint, then they need to take feedback from the FRONTLINE EMPLOYEES, Flightcrews, and trust our judgement, not just haphazardly writing policy of putting their desk ridden butox in the j/s!!!

1. That's not what ALPA's information says. Again here it is:
http://asanegotiations.alpa.org/ASA Pay Comparison TEZ2.mht
Can you provide a link to your information?

2. Unfortunately, inflation isn't how ALPA negotiates payrates. ALPA uses pattern bargaining - sometimes the pattern is favorable, and sometimes it isn't. What would DAL, NWA, and UAL pay look like if you adjusted their 1980's rates for inflation? What would our 70 rates look like if they are adjusted for inflation?
Sure....here´s the link you initially gave:
http://asanegotiations.alpa.org/Comp_Pay_02-05-07.html
It plainly shows at yr 7 from DOS to DOS+12 a cola raise of roughly 1.20%
As for your second point?

Breiling, I'm not suprised I have to spell this out for you.

Is this the biggest threat to aviation safety today? Of course not. It is simply one very small link in the error chain that can be removed before leaving the ground.

Until the contract is signed & conditions at ASA improve, I will continue to ask myself:

Is this my job? Does it make this flight safer? Why do I care?

The answers because you are slow:

No, No, & I care less and less by the day.

Breiling, I'm not suprised I have to spell this out for you.

Is this the biggest threat to aviation safety today? Of course not. It is simply one very small link in the error chain that can be removed before leaving the ground.

Until the contract is signed & conditions at ASA improve, I will continue to ask myself:

Is this my job? Does it make this flight safer? Why do I care?

The answers because you are slow:

No, No, & I care less and less by the day.

So it will be safer after the contract is signed? Safety issues shouldn't mix with bargaining issues. Similar to the dual qualification issue and the age 60 issue. Using safety as a collective bargaining issue dilutes real safety issue.

Personally, the more people that can see it from our perspective, the better.

Sure....here´s the link you initially gave:
http://asanegotiations.alpa.org/Comp_Pay_02-05-07.html
It plainly shows at yr 7 from DOS to DOS+12 a cola raise of roughly 1.20%
As for your second point?

Sorry, I thought you were implying that it was only a 1.2% increase over current book.

In your example, your pay would go from 67.14 to 70.04 year over year which would be a 4.32% increase.

Latest resources

Back