ASA Electronic Strike Ballot is Here!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
~~~^~~~ said:
Joe - how do you think a vote not to authorize our MEC to call a strike would help us?

This is a very sincere question.

Good question. Let's see if I can answer it.

I have listened to the CNC and the scope they are asking for. Based on what the CNC said, even if we achieved what we are asking for, I don't see anything that prevents Jerry from shifting assets to SKYW. I don't think that will help us. The scope we are asking for allows SKYW to shift 15% of our flying. After that, they can still shift assets as long as SKYW takes the pilots. That doesn't cut it as far as I'm concerned.

Even that scope is only achievable if we are released. I don't think we will be released based on what we are asking for and based on what a strike would do to Delta Air Lines and interstate air commerce. I just don't see it. Given that, I see Jerry shifting more assets to SKYW while we are in recess with the NMB which continually erodes our leverage.

If I thought it would help us, I would most certainly vote yes. I voted yes in 1997 and I could vote yes again if I believed it would be beneficial. The Great Lakes pilots voted to strike over 3 years ago and they are still in recess. How many assets can Jerry transfer in 3 years?

Last edited:
If I thought it would help us, I would most certainly vote yes. I voted yes in 1997 and I could vote yes again if I believed it would be beneficial. The Great Lakes pilots voted to strike over 3 years ago and they are still in recess. How many assets can Jerry transfer in 3 years?
[/quote]

As usual from Joe Merchant - 1 part truth - 10 parts imagination.

I believe if you thought it would help YOU - you would vote yes. You are up to something here and I think we all smell it. Your interests are obviously not alligned with the majority of ASA pilot's interest. Your interests lie in your personal crusade against ALPA national & your obsession with giving ALPA the finger at every opportunity. You focus IS NOT on what is best for the line pilots at ASA or you would find a way to get on board with this vote. Again, how much money do you stand to make as part of your lawsuit against ALPA???

Last edited:
JoeMerchant said:
It doesn't matter what the vote is, I don't believe we would be released because of Delta's financial condition. A strong yes vote will continue the status quo. We will remain parked, we won't change our demands, and Jerry will continue to shift assets to SKYW. That won't help ASA pilots.
Joe, your logic is wrong.

Both SKYW and ASA management know that the contract we work out is going to cost them more than they have already offered. Why did they not offer more? Maybe because they are smart? We're all so ticked off that they have strung this out for so long that many people are simply wanting to strike for spite.

It is not in the interest of management to have it's workforce strike. But it is in the interest of management to GAUGE the potential action of the workforce.

When management does come out with their offer, it will be less than it could have been because of your failure to vote correctly.

Last edited:
fish - john rice said himself to a large group of pilots less than 2 years ago that alpa was just as happy as the company that negotiations were proceding slowly, hoping to see an improvement in the economy. not until last fall, 3 years into negotiations did alpa start the 3 years is too long plea, only after most of us started asking 'whats the deal?'

i blame alpa just as much as the company for dragging things out - alpa palyed the 'the economy will improve' card and lost. then they tried the hardball approach just as delta went bankrupt. call a spade a spade - asking the pilots for a cut is unfair in my opinion, but asking for a huge raise and a b fund is much, much more unfair. alpa is just as guilty in my opinion for getting us to this point. at least the company wants a contract now, i cant tell if alpa really wants this.

Joe -

So if I understand your thinking. A poor showing would result in our MEC being more "reasonable?" If ALPA's logic is so flawed, then how are we assured a 85% yes vote would have a different result as a 99.99% vote? Politically, I don't see things changing regardless of the vote's outcome.

I heard Duane Woerth repeatedly praise the idea of "full pay to the last day." He gave Independence Air and Mesaba as evidence of the "success" of their principled stand. It sent chills up my spine when this rhetoric resonated with the truth of loss of pilot jobs and flying. Duane signed the NWA TA and the "Compass" deal just a couple of days later.

We are in the "perfect storm." We are no longer owned by Delta. Jerry Atkin will use the most cost effective resources to provide Skywest's lift. Skywest is non union and happy about it. ALPA is pleased with its "success" at airlines which are going away figuring that all of us are better off flying for other airlines anyway.

If ALPA does not change it is likely that a 30% smaller ASA will be trying to decertify the union. The union will label the majority as "losers" and continue its retrenchment until the whole "experiment" of representing regional pilots is considered a failed mission.

If I can see this coming from the bleachers, you must know that our LEC and MEC folks can see this from the scrimmage line. In the absence of an alternative, the best plan is to trust my team with the ball.

~~~^~~~

Last edited:
FishandFly said:
Joe, your logic is wrong.

Both SKYW and ASA management know that the contract we work out is going to cost them more than they have already offered. Why did they not offer more?
Can we agree that Jerry Atkin does not like ALPA? Can we agree that JA would like to see ALPA gone from ASA and the threat removed from Skywest? Is it safe to assume he fully intends to play hard ball knowing ALPA will stand by and not make a stand on scope?

• If ASA disappears and ALPA representation along with it - Jerry wins.
  • If ASA pilots frightened by furloughs and career disaster decertify ALPA - Jerry wins
  • If ASA's MEC folds and Skywest pilots see that ALPA did nothing for the ASA pilots - Jerry wins
The only way the ASA MEC wins is if Jerry Atkin folds and I see no reason for him to do so. A fat contract, or even a reasonable contract with higher rates on the 70 seaters would have the likely result of a ALPA representational vote on the Skywest property.

~----/\~~~~---^~ Fins on the run from a larger shark

(I also think a more reasonable position with rock solid scope language would scare the Skywest pilots into voting ALPA out of fear that ALPA was dealing them out of the growth picture and they would want in the game - that would be my strategy anyway)

crjskipper said:
.... at least the company wants a contract now, i cant tell if alpa really wants this.
Are you sure? I'm not. The Company has not left our MEC a face saving way out of this mess and backing politicians in a corner usually results in disaster. If the Company wanted a deal they needed to negotiate behind closed doors. Instead they have upset and polarized the entire pilot group.

If the goal of involving the pilots was to get a contract, the Company failed miserably. All Management did is add another 10 to 15% to the strike vote.

dont disagree fins but i dont think its that much of a battle to ja. i think he just sees an opportunity to keep costs closer to where he likes them. profit sharing and stock mean nothing to me - airline stock is worthless, ask anyone who ever purchased it. it may be great today but it wont stay there most likely, i just think ja is taking advantage of the environment. i do think the company engaging the pilot group was a good tactic, from everyone i spoke with who went to the tutt road shows they were a lot less angry then we were lead to believe. our current mec is not doing the job imho. they waited and waited until the pilots got pissed then went on the offensive - too strong. we dont need pitbulls right now, we need some teeth but more brains, and thats missing.

i would be happy with a freeze on the 700 and some decent 200 increases. the company must get its house in order first, we must become more productive through better scedules and use of reserves and the like. but our mec should draw a line, bring the requests to realistic levels - no more of this big raise and a b fund crap. and i do agree with joe - alpa (nationally) is a complete sellout - but thats not todays issue. get this contract resloved before we lose more planes...

~~~^~~~ said:
Joe -

So if I understand your thinking. A poor showing would result in our MEC being more "reasonable?" If ALPA's logic is so flawed, then how are we assured a 85% yes vote would have a different result as a 99.99% vote? Politically, I don't see things changing regardless of the vote's outcome.

I heard Duane Woerth repeatedly praise the idea of "full pay to the last day." He gave Independence Air and Mesaba as evidence of the "success" of their principled stand. It sent chills up my spine when this rhetoric resonated with the truth of loss of pilot jobs and flying. Duane signed the NWA TA and the "Compass" deal just a couple of days later.

We are in the "perfect storm." We are no longer owned by Delta. Jerry Atkin will use the most cost effective resources to provide Skywest's lift. Skywest is non union and happy about it. ALPA is pleased with its "success" at airlines which are going away figuring that all of us are better off flying for other airlines anyway.

If ALPA does not change it is likely that a 30% smaller ASA will be trying to decertify the union. The union will label the majority as "losers" and continue its retrenchment until the whole "experiment" of representing regional pilots is considered a failed mission.

If I can see this coming from the bleachers, you must know that our LEC and MEC folks can see this from the scrimmage line. In the absence of an alternative, the best plan is to trust my team with the ball.

~~~^~~~

Well said fins. I used to have faith that our team could see this. They did in 2000. They may still see it, however I'm afraid nobody wants to stand up to ALPA national. National is probably threatening us with funding cuts and receivership. My number one issue is a single list. The CNC said that isn't an option now, but that if it gets direction, it could pursue that. Until that happens my vote is NO. If we want to reconsider our positions, I am willing to reconcider my vote.

Latest resources

Back