• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA DTW CP pulls IAD pilot offline for refusing aircraft

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
First of all, this has nothing to do with skill. He isn't refusing the flight because he doesn't have the ability to fly the aircraft without the a/p. Secondly, you can be fatigued without and a/p but not be with one. It takes more energy to fly an aircraft without an a/p. When you say you are too fatigued for that aircraft, you are actually saying I am fine right now, but the extra energy it will take to fly without the a/p will make me fatigued by the time we land.

You know, with all that "threat and error management" stuff we go through in training, you'd think the company would abide by the same philosophy.

The most logical and reasonable post in this entire thread.

Remember:

SAFETY > COMPLETION FACTOR

First of all, this has nothing to do with skill. He isn't refusing the flight because he doesn't have the ability to fly the aircraft without the a/p. Secondly, you can be fatigued without and a/p but not be with one. It takes more energy to fly an aircraft without an a/p. When you say you are too fatigued for that aircraft, you are actually saying I am fine right now, but the extra energy it will take to fly without the a/p will make me fatigued by the time we land.

what a crock of shet man :rolleyes:

If a United captain had a 757 with three autopilots deferred, no APU, and whatever else and was told to take that POS to LGA, I'm pretty sure he/she would have declined.

Why should United passengers be subject to ride on an Expressjet airplane that apparently cannot be maintained to a reasonable standard??

Thanks for all that you do!

what a crock of shet man :rolleyes:

Why? Doesn't it take about 200% more energy to stare at a tube for a couple hours than being able to relax and look out the window? Is that not more fatiguing than running with an a/p? Instead of just saying it's crap, give a reason.

No kidding, I don't get paid near eno
ugh to go above and beyond for this place.

Did you know the pay before you took the job? I mean, you have got to be kidding me! There are people who wait tables or clean bathrooms that make a lot less and take more pride than that!

No matter the pay, if you take a job, have some pride.

I think it's a pretty weak excuse to refuse the airplane just because of an autopilot. If you're too fatigued to hand fly, you're too fatigued for an engine failure, flap malfunction... whatever, if the A/P is working. You're out of RVSM, so flying at the lower altitudes is easier, and safer. I'm also presuming there's still a flight director and a first officer.

It is not unsafe to hand fly a jet or any other aircraft, I don't care what the weather or the FOs experience is. It's been done for generations. If you've ever flown a Metro, Jetstream or B1900 you'd know how to deal with it on a daily basis.

Granted, I wasn't there and not privy to all the info. I've called in fatigued myself, greatly angering the company and inconveniencing the passengers. I was never called on the carpet. I've never called in fatigued or refused an aircraft just to convenience me.

This has BH written all over it, he hates it when he thinks pilots are mutinying, like refusing a POS A/C. Hand flying a 200 for 2 hours at FL380 is fatiguing. If I was at the end of a long day, with many messes I wouldn't have gone either.

Like a 200 would EVER make it to FL380!

Latest resources

Back