• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA DTW CP pulls IAD pilot offline for refusing aircraft

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Tell me why you think I was weak to refuse the aircraft and I will show you what the attitude profile of "machoism" and how that has lead to multiple aircraft disasters.

I have almost 15k hours and did not feel weak nor did I feel like less of a pilot. In fact, I don't think a whole lot of pilots have the ballz to refuse a perfectly legal flight based on safety. And I am sure you will agree that their is a difference between legal and safe. As PIC, I need to evaluate every situation for legallity, safety, and practicallity. All 3 have different definitions that I need to follow.

So, how was I weak to refuse a perfectly legal flight.

I am not being 'macho'. I am just stating the simple facts.

I get paid to FLY airplanes. I can do that with or without an autopilot.

Obviously I don't know you or your abilities. If you cannot operate a part 121 aircraft SAFELY and LEGALLY without an autopilot, maybe you need to click the autopilot off once in a while, and relearn how to fly, or find a different profession.

I am not being 'macho'. I am just stating the simple facts.

I get paid to FLY airplanes. I can do that with or without an autopilot.

Obviously I don't know you or your abilities. If you cannot operate a part 121 aircraft SAFELY and LEGALLY without an autopilot, maybe you need to click the autopilot off once in a while, and relearn how to fly, or find a different profession.

What a doosh

Keep in mind that in any deferral, the pilot still has to make the determination that it does not constitute a hazard to the aircraft, even if it's legal. That's actually an FAR.

Last edited:
Amazing how the little pukes are supposed to fly aircraft on a wing and a prayer, yet, I sat in the back of a SWA bird (who's airline everyone tends to worship on here), and the captain informed us that the autopilot was inoperative and they were currently deciding if they were going to take the flight. Because it was the autopilot, SWA gave them the right to refuse the aircraft, no matter that it was a short hop, clear night with a full moon, in the mountain west, and only their second leg of the day. Class act, SWA. Too bad the regionals don't understand.

BTW, if Captain, those four stripes mean you never have to raise your voice. If FO, those three stripes mean never having to raise the voice either, you choice of actions and the consequences are a bit different than those of the Captain, but, if you're not there, the flight can't go 'til you are replaced. Then, the flight you don't want to be on goes without you, and, you are safe. If you're not willing to tell the person that has the power to fire you, "no", you're not ready for commercial aviation at any level.

I've kept my mouth shut here, but its time to chime in. We have a company challenging of an FAR. 91.3 "captains authority." This is a serious issue folks. Furthermore The pilot-in-command of an aircraft is directly responsible for, and is the final authority as to, the operation of that aircraft.” FAR 121.535 (d) further states: “Each pilot in command of an aircraft is, during flight time, in command of the aircraft and crew and is responsible for the safety of the passengers, crewmembers, cargo, and airplane.”

Read the PREAMBLE to the MEL. I doubt many of you have, but I'll post the highpoints.

Operators are responsible for exercising the necessary operational control to ensure that an acceptable level of safety is maintained. When operating with multiple inoperative items, the interrelationships between those items and the effect on aircraft operation and crew workload will be considered.

Assuming what I read from this is true (this is FI afterall), the PIC did not determine there was an acceptable level of safety with the multiple deferrals. Furthermore, when MEL's are written, they must account for the "next critical failure." With four deferrals, what's next?

Airplanes most certainly can and should be hand flown from time to time, and can be hand flown well and safely. BUT, do we handfly in the sim during an emergency situation? No, the autopilot is ALWAYS used. You think the crew is weak, take your next pro check with the autopilot off and let me know afterward how well it went.

The crews, in complying with the MEL MUST comply with the preamble and consider the next critical failure.

I've kept my mouth shut here, but its time to chime in. We have a company challenging of an FAR. 91.3 "captains authority." This is a serious issue folks. Furthermore The pilot-in-command of an aircraft is directly responsible for, and is the final authority as to, the operation of that aircraft.” FAR 121.535 (d) further states: “Each pilot in command of an aircraft is, during flight time, in command of the aircraft and crew and is responsible for the safety of the passengers, crewmembers, cargo, and airplane.”

Read the PREAMBLE to the MEL. I doubt many of you have, but I'll post the highpoints.

Operators are responsible for exercising the necessary operational control to ensure that an acceptable level of safety is maintained. When operating with multiple inoperative items, the interrelationships between those items and the effect on aircraft operation and crew workload will be considered.

Assuming what I read from this is true (this is FI afterall), the PIC did not determine there was an acceptable level of safety with the multiple deferrals. Furthermore, when MEL's are written, they must account for the "next critical failure." With four deferrals, what's next?

Airplanes most certainly can and should be hand flown from time to time, and can be hand flown well and safely. BUT, do we handfly in the sim during an emergency situation? No, the autopilot is ALWAYS used. You think the crew is weak, take your next pro check with the autopilot off and let me know afterward how well it went.

The crews, in complying with the MEL MUST comply with the preamble and consider the next critical failure.

I think this thread has a bad case of "we don't know the entire story." But in typical Flight Info fashion, we have jumped to a lot of conclusions.

Why is it so difficult for many folks to understand it has everything to do with workload and stress management, and nothing to do with stick and rudder skills. This post is rampant with posters that should continue to remain first officers, based on poor judgement and views of what being an airline captain is truly about. Sitting in the left seat and having the 4th stripe has far more to do with judgement than stick and rudder skills.

It's fine flying with a deferred AP until something else breaks................have fun doing all that with multiple deferrals, a green FO, and in heavy weather. Running an intensive QRH procedure with all that is going to be all sorts of sporty.

Latest resources

Back