• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA DFW Refugee Needs SLC Advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For those who don't mind a little commute, Vegas is a quick 45 minute flight away from SLC and the cost of living is very affordable here. No state income tax also helps!

Bluto,

All good areas for the most part. I-15 from south Ogden can be a bit slow during the morning rush, but nothing like ATL or DFW.

Park City! PC is about a 45 minute drive to the employee lot in SLC. Housing is somewhat expensive in the city, but cheaper when you get about 10 miles outside of town. The less expensive areas are Pinebrook, Jeremy Ranch, and Silver Creek. There's a lot of activity for your kids, as well as yourself. Your kids will get $100 season passes to Park City ski area. Mormons are somewhat rare in PC.
Salt Lake can also be a very nice area to live, if you find the right neighbor hood. If I had a choice I would probably live in the Avenues, (an area that runs from the capital building, east to the University, on the hill.) Cottonwood area, or Sugar House.
Good luck

Thanks for all the replys. ALL info is VERY helpfull. I am running down these areas as fast as the internet will go.

Thanks a million!!!!

needs info on ASA

guys Im new to this reginonal ops. I am offered a job at TSA. Still waiting for ASA, hopefully flying CRJ instead of Erj. Could anyone shead any light on TSA and ASA. Working condition, upgrade time and Pay

thanks,

lost Pilot

Housing is MUCH cheaper up north in the Layton/Ogden area especially west of I-15. We bought a brand new 4bd house on 1/3 acre lot for $155,000 (very affordable for a 3rd year SKYW FO). The drive is not bad. It's definately suburb. Don't know much about schools (our kids were too young), but on a whole Utah schools aren't the best in the country.

Slc

I've been told so many positive things about SLC. But, one thing I've heard is the "mormon" factor. Meaning a polite smile and a handshake but complete banishment from community. I'm not mormon, nor will ever be, so this concerns me. Are there areas that are mostly mormon or areas that are non-mormon? Thanks for any help. Don't mean to beat up on mormons, just been told a few negative things and need to validate it.

USCTrojan,

You don't have to worry about the "mormon" factor is SLC. It's not that big a deal. If you look into Utah county, like Provo, then you might have some issues, like not being allowed to purchase beer on sundays. Nothing major to worry about though. My favorite place in the valley to live is the millcreek and sugarhouse areas. Sugarhouse is 5 minutes from the University of Utah, and millcreek/holliday is basically right at the mouths of the canyons. I live in holliday, and am 25 minutes from park city, or any other ski area you would like. Good luck on the house searching.

USCtrojan said:
I've been told so many positive things about SLC. But, one thing I've heard is the "mormon" factor. Meaning a polite smile and a handshake but complete banishment from community. I'm not mormon, nor will ever be, so this concerns me. Are there areas that are mostly mormon or areas that are non-mormon? Thanks for any help. Don't mean to beat up on mormons, just been told a few negative things and need to validate it.
Don't be concerned. I am Mormon and I make it a habit to get to know my neighbors and others who are not Mormon. Sometimes I think my non-Mormon friends and neighbors may feel like I don't want to participate in some of their activities. This is true, but only because I choose not to drink or go to the "club" if you know what I mean. Other than that we are really just normal people. I can say that most of the "things" you've been told probably aren't true. Get to know someone who is Mormon and you'll see...
Good Luck.
Andy

Okay, I've seen enough posts about the beer out there that I've got to ask. WTF is up with the beer?!

Latest resources

Back