• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA D-0 Flight Crew Babysitting

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The reason we are doing this "go to the gate, get the release and talk with the gate agent procedure" is because that is what delta does. It isn't a big deal...AND once we get all the jet bridges installed, it will be on the way.Not a big deal folks!

I wonder if you've ever been to the airport.

I wonder if you've ever been to the airport.

Funny...

Look, we are avg roughly 80%+ on time right now, which means that the MAJORITY of our flights are arriving within 15minutes of schedule....The majority of the time, this system should work. Yes, sometimes I go a bit above and beyond to keep things on time...SO WHAT...I am not so lazy as to do that. Do I throw bags...NO...do I turn a wrench...NO!! But will I help a FA by putting bottled water in the overhead, or cross seatbelts, etc...sure!

We get profit sharing now...which means our performance has an impact (although I will admit somewhat indirectly) on what we make. Lets work together now people...NOT for the company, but for US! Lets enjoy our job and make this a good place to work! THIS IS OUR COMPANY, NOT THERES!!

I can see the response to an ASA pilot when he tries to get a bunch of DAL folks to huddle. No DAL people are going to do anything an ASA pilot tells them. They're at one gate working three planes and they're not going to stop loading/boarding another flight to come hear our brief. And the gate agents often work alone working three flights. They don't have time to stop and listen to someone when they're trying to board or deplane a flight.

The team at the puzzle palace needs to be reminded that the ATL ops people don't work for us and don't answer to us and will just tell us to get lost. Just like they've been doing since June 1.

Be VERY CAREFUL about any communication with ramp personnel....

...there have been a few cases of flight crews being charged with racist remarks, sexual harrassment, and assault, all with "witnesses" to the accusation provided by ramp co-workers.

ALWAYS have a witness on your side before ANY exchanges with those people.

We get profit sharing now...which means our performance has an impact (although I will admit somewhat indirectly) on what we make. Lets work together now people...NOT for the company, but for US! Lets enjoy our job and make this a good place to work! THIS IS OUR COMPANY, NOT THERES!!

Ding, Ding, Ding.......Someone who actually gets it! I go the extra mile for me, and my pocket.

Performance Plus

It's money out of all of our pockets if we don't make our goals.

Another group to be warry of is some of the Operations people up in the tower. I've been told to wait for an aircraft to push back, only after pushing the issue to find out that the plane in my spot was not going anywhere. The result was, we blocked in more than 15 minutes late. Result, one knock against all of us making a little extra money at the end of the quarter.

Some of the Ops people are great, but there's this one female (don't know her name) that drives me nuts with her canned "Rog" responses to our requests. My guess is, she's just playing lip service to us at times. She's the one that caused the flight above to be late because she didn't research our arrival gate the first time as requested her to.

Yes Stifler and 79%,

Now we are catching on. But, its more than just the money. Its about telling people who you work for with a straight face. I am SO TIRED OF BEING EMBARASSED to tell people where I work. "OH, you mean the airline that never gets me where I want to go on time....or loses my bag" (granted, we have little control over the bags now).

So you see, the money is great, but respect, enjoyment of our job, satisfaction for what we do, pride...those things are very important as well!

I can see the response to an ASA pilot when he tries to get a bunch of DAL folks to huddle. No DAL people are going to do anything an ASA pilot tells them. They're at one gate working three planes and they're not going to stop loading/boarding another flight to come hear our brief. And the gate agents often work alone working three flights. They don't have time to stop and listen to someone when they're trying to board or deplane a flight.

The team at the puzzle palace needs to be reminded that the ATL ops people don't work for us and don't answer to us and will just tell us to get lost. Just like they've been doing since June 1.

As a side note...I whole heartedly disagree with this ENTIRE QUOTE. This "new" policy is not all that new to me. When possible, I try to go to the gate and get the release and chat with the gate agent. 99% of the time, they are open and friendly. I SET THE TONE AS THE CAPTAIN!! When I walk up with a smile on my face and am cordial to them, they warm up and react in kind. Its all in how you approach them (granted, every now and again, people have a bad day, but I have found negative responses to a kind approach to be very rare). I hear people calling ops all the time "barking" at them and then acting shocked when the response is rude...you all know what i am talking about! (and yes, I understand that it is frustrating when you call for a lav dump 5 times before it gets done...but that may not be OPS fault..don't take it out on them)

So, if you are getting a constant negative response, perhaps it isn't them...maybe its your negative approach? Just something to think about.

Really though, this is strictly an attempt by management to harass crews and payback for the new contract. Watch for more responsibilities being forced on the crews like we don't have enough to worry about.

Really though, this is strictly an attempt by management to harass crews and payback for the new contract. Watch for more responsibilities being forced on the crews like we don't have enough to worry about.

It's inside the 2-Minute Warning and Team Stifler's Mom is running the Hurry-Up Offense. No time to huddle, git-r-done.

Yes Stifler and 79%,

So you see, the money is great, but respect, enjoyment of our job, satisfaction for what we do, pride...those things are very important as well!

I agree with that comment. Nothing more enjoyable then getting people and their bags from A to B early, or atleast ontime. I enjoy the comments about how nice the flight was, the thank you's, etc.

Like most of us, I take pride in the job I do when I am at work, but I have little to no patience for people with the work ethic of a slug. It only takes one person in the operation to put a kink in the chain, and quickly things go south.

How many times do you hear people calling Ops numerous times and they go ignored, only to hear operations in the next breath asking if somebody is ready to board? How hard is it to listen to a radio frequency and fill your job diescription?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back