• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA confirms details for Air Mekong

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I hope no one falls for this.....other US regional airlines that have started up bases outside the US have typically offered FOs a 100% pay bump and Captains a 50-60% pay bump plus housing. ASA's offer is nowhere near this.

Let's hold out for something better....if ASA really wants to do this they should be willing to pay us a premium....and if no one volunteers then they will have to sweeten the pot.

ASA has nothing to do with this it's their offer to our pilot's. The guy who got the whole thing rolling, the new VP flt ops for them, made it mandatory that they offer all position to asa current and furloughed guys before anyone else.

Think about what yure doig youre not going from buxton misssipi to oakland california. Yourre going from 1st world to 3rd world. The only good thing you can say about Hanoi is that the chances of being kidnapped by goat herders to entertain their goats is less than if you were in Nigeria. Its just a shinney CRJ.

I would say going from Buxton Mississippi to Oakland California would be considered going from 3rd world to 1st world. I'd live in Vietnam before I lived in Mississippi.

You probably don't get out much, tho.

I'm sure they'll get enough people. Junior and/or furloughed captains that aren't making much on reserve anyway will get about double the net pay. As for the FOs the deal isn't spectacular, but I'd net about 20k more by going over there. There are only 4 planes going to operate at this time so call it 20 crews--they'll get that.

If you are young and single and haven't served overseas in the military - then there is no excuse for not applying to go overseas and experience the exotic life. Even if it's horrible, you'll have great stories to tell and great memories.

Or you could just use your pass benefits and travel the world on your days off.

No need to go live in Vietnam to experience "exotic life"

There is potential here.... but there are a lot of 'what if's', too.

The biggest:

What if you bend a wing, or worse, actually hurt somebody and live to tell about it? Chances are, you won't have a nice interview with an FAA or NTSB rep. I would be very worried about my future in that situation. 13 months could turn into 10 years, or more, very easily.

Something to consider...

I was expecting the FO pay to be lower so that was a nice surprise. $4250 completely tax free is more than take home pay for a junior ASA Captain. When you consider that your housing is paid for, and you have no auto expenses like gas, that's a good amount of money that's going straight to the bank. Unless you have massive student loans in which this venture can help big-time in saving the finances of those that splurged on Riddle.

Latest resources

Back