• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA closer to a strike

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Great! All the mediator has to do is take just one more year and the majority of our planes can be transferred to Skywest in that time.......I definately think this is a matter of survival. Scope clause, IMHO, is more important than any over riding issue.....But that's just me.

No Subterfuge Allowed

ALPA has asked for arbitration. The Mediation Board is supposed to prevent disruption of service. The Board will not allow ALPA to request arbitration just to see ALPA change their mind and refuse it when the Board consents to the request - they will not allow the "request for arbitration" to be a subterfuge for getting around the Board's process just so ALPA can get to a cooling off period. If the company agrees with ALPA's request and consents to arbitration and then ALPA turns around and refuses, the Board simply isn't going to start the cooling off period - they will see ALPA's request as a subterfuge for the process and keep the negotiations parked. Period.

I do hope, however, that the company refuses and the Board starts the cooling off period - but the crystal ball is a bit hazy.

It's time for a real, negotiated contract. Actual arbitration and an imposed contract could be a nightmare: Dual Quals, blended pay-rates, PBS with software of the company's choosing and elimination of all the benefits of the T/A'd scheduling section, reduced per-diem, no premium pay, half-deadhead pay, etc; take the least desirable provisions from around the industry and put them together into one contract from Hades.

ALPA has asked for arbitration. The Mediation Board is supposed to prevent disruption of service. The Board will not allow ALPA to request arbitration just to see ALPA change their mind and refuse it when the Board consents to the request - they will not allow the "request for arbitration" to be a subterfuge for getting around the Board's process just so ALPA can get to a cooling off period. If the company agrees with ALPA's request and consents to arbitration and then ALPA turns around and refuses, the Board simply isn't going to start the cooling off period - they will see ALPA's request as a subterfuge for the process and keep the negotiations parked. Period.

I do hope, however, that the company refuses and the Board starts the cooling off period - but the crystal ball is a bit hazy.

It's time for a real, negotiated contract. Actual arbitration and an imposed contract could be a nightmare: Dual Quals, blended pay-rates, PBS with software of the company's choosing and elimination of all the benefits of the T/A'd scheduling section, reduced per-diem, no premium pay, half-deadhead pay, etc; take the least desirable provisions from around the industry and put them together into one contract from Hades.

What the heck are you talking about? You are demonstrating your ignorance with the process.

Let me get this straight... you say that because ALPA requested a proffer, they are accepting arbitration? That's not how it works.

Unions request releases all the time, then turn down the proffer. Otherwise there would never be a strike!

Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut and let everyone wonder if you're a fool, thento open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Pennekamp- Holly S*&T! I'm sure you've made a post in error before. So lay off the guy. This is like a soap operah or something. Not that I'm a CPA, nor do I work for Charles Schwab, but I'm reasonably sure that a strike, no matter how it works, isn't gonna be like Christmas for anyone.

I say let us GO! Time to show ours are as hairy as the Comair FA's.

Don your fire suits, Joe Merchant, Voice of reason should chime in any minute now.

By the way, Where is General Leigh on the price of gas?

Dick

At what point does each side either accept or decline the proffer? Do they get to see it first, or is it yes or no 'sight unseen'?

What the heck are you talking about? You are demonstrating your ignorance with the process.

Let me get this straight... you say that because ALPA requested a proffer, they are accepting arbitration? That's not how it works.

Unions request releases all the time, then turn down the proffer. Otherwise there would never be a strike!

Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut and let everyone wonder if you're a fool, thento open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Sounds to me like Loli has a better understanding of the process than you, it's just something you don't like, so that means you must insult his intelligence. Maybe read your own last sentence in your post and apply it, or you could just continue to act as you do which is actually more entertaining for most of us.

Breath deep my friend

John P,
What's up with the hostile response? We're on the same side on this issuue - I was just making the point that the Mediation Board is in charge of the process, and they will not allow it to be short-circuited by the union saying they want arbitration simply to turn around and refuse arbitration so that they can get released to strike. The Mediation Board will keep control of the process until they are good and ready to allow a disruption of service.
I want a 30-day cooling off period and a release as much as anyone - I'm ready to strike for a fair and industry leading contract - as much as anything at our end of the industry can be considered "leading." I was just pointing out that the process isn't as simple as some here are making it seem.
Fly safe.

Pilots, please! Educate yourself about the Railway Labor Act and the National Mediation Board. It's not rocket science. One part of the puzzle is that the NMB is composed of two members appointed by the "party in power" and one from the "minority party." Considering the current political climate, I would be very surprised if George W's two pals vote to authorize a proffer of arbitraion...they aren't stupid and know it would lead to a strike. Of course, I could be wrong.

Click the following links for more info:

For those who like to read: http://www.ipapilot.org/media/rla.asp

For those who like pictures: http://www.nmb.gov/publicinfo/collbarg2.pdf

Latest resources

Back