Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA - Bottom Line - Would you work there...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
79%N1 said:
Yea, Sinca, I dont dispute that.....BUT, those are the people hired in early 2001, hence 4.5 years. People hired in late 01, 02, 03, 04, and 05 I'm afraid will wait MUCH longer than that! Like I said, I've been here 3, and I'm NO WHERE CLOSE. That too could change, but who knows. It could go longer even.

Part of that reason is because there were no ASA classes between (correct me if I'm wrong) 1/03 and 3/04. So anybody hired toward the end of 02/beginning of 03 will have a much longer upgrade than those hired at the beginning of the 04 push.

Take the job at ASA. You can always go somewhere else later.

70 people quitting last month is false. Just look at the prelims or awards.

ASA is a great company. As for the upgrades, they are getting 22 airplanes between now and the ned of 06 and continuing to hire 30+ a month through the end of 06. The seniority list is somewhere around 1,700 with the must junior captain around 1,200. If hiring stays like they say, thats 540 people to the seniority list plus everyone thats leaving. Just because current upgrade time is 4.5 years, that doesnt mean that the people hired today will wait 4.5 years. Just remember, most people only voice their opinion when its in a negative way. Also, as I told someone today... ASA in 10 years... They could have an upgrade time of 6 months and be hiring pilots at 300 hours. They could have an upgrade time of 10 years and be hiring pilots with 5,000 hours. They could not even have a webpage because they are out of business. My point being is that any airline could be like that in 10 years or tomorrow.

Upgrade asap

Yes upgrade is a while. It could improve since there are a lot of unhappy people at ASA that want to leave. ASA mang has a long way to go. They really don't care about the pilots or they would treat us like professionals.

I know some people that have friends at Continental Express and it sounds a lot better with the new contract.

The biggest thing: Upgrade is everything at the regional level. They don't want you to stay around too long and if you don't upgrade asap then you can't move on.

Go where you can be happy and upgrade fast.

There is a lot of luck involved in the airline business. You may think you have made the greatest decision, and it turns out to be a flop.

Good luck, we all need it.

ASA has 147 airplanes with 12 ATR's that probably will go away in 2007.

In my humble opininion ASA would be smart to dump 20 RJ's and bring back the ATR's, or -500's. After all, the cabin is much larger, they are cheaper to operate and burn 1/3 the fuel while going 2/3'ds as fast with 16 more people and a bunch more bags. A jet on anything shorter than ATL-LEX is kinda nuts based on seat mile costs.

If ASA nets a growth of 10 airplanes in 2006 to 2007 that is only 55 Captain slots. If they are CRJ700's it could be 110 slots, ( on 70 seat Capt and one 50 seat to replace them ) but for #1900 on the seniority list those 55 numbers are a l o _ n __ g way away. Even then, upgrading at ASA does not mean you fly the left seat. They regularly use their junior Captains as FO's when they run short on FO's.

fsworld said:
ASA is a great company.
Whooo Hooo, HA HA HA HA, Heeeeeeeeee Haawwwww, Snort, Huckle, Chuckle, HAAAAAAAAA!

Tell me, what is your favorite department at ASA? Crew Resources? Scheduling? Human Resources? Payroll? Safety? Come on, please please please tell me.

:) Man, that was good stuff, keep it coming! :)

Last edited:
The 70 leaving last month was from the CP forum. They said we lost 70 and hired 80. Is it correct? I don't really know, but that's the numbers that the CP's used.

atrdriver said:
The 70 leaving last month was from the CP forum. They said we lost 70 and hired 80. Is it correct? I don't really know, but that's the numbers that the CP's used.

That's gotta be in the last 6 months maybe? Definitely not in the last month. I know they're hiring approx 32/month now but it was only about 20/month a couple months ago.

Mmmmmm Burritos said:
That's gotta be in the last 6 months maybe? Definitely not in the last month. I know they're hiring approx 32/month now but it was only about 20/month a couple months ago.

Hiring and showing up for class are two different things. ASA can't get people to want to stay more than 15 mins. When Coex, Comair, Skywest, etc. ,are hiring--why come here????

Latest resources

Back