Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA - Bottom Line - Would you work there...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JDREsquire1224

I recently got a call from ASA requesting a brief background check & information, and after the 5 minutes of talking to the person in pilot recruiting, they said they would send me an application.
the BOTTOM LINE to the question: Would you want to work there?

I am currently a CFi with just over 1,000 hours and am really getting ready to move onto the next step in my career. HOWEVER, I am not willing to accept any position with any company.

If someone could give me a brief background of what is currently happening and what might happen with the airline in the future, I would appreciate it.

PS - I know I SHOULD know these things if I applied to an airline, but in all honesty I was not expecting a call this soon and by this particular airline.

Thanks for the help and info. Good luck to all in the future.

Some other questions I wouldn't mind some help on include:

Fact or fiction: Most new hires are sent to ATL.

Is upgrade time really as bad as 4-6 years?

When I stop sitting reserve, is it an easy commute? Yes, there are many flight a day to ATL from where I reside.

ASA is a good company, among the best that you're qualified to work at. Take it if they offer it too you. Upgrade times change, what's 4 years now might be 2 years tomorrow. I wouldn't turn down ASA because you think you might get on with another regional with better upgrade times.

Exactly! Take the job that you get offered. Dont listen to these dorks who are bitter and all they do is talk $hit. If you get an offer by a RESPECTED company like ASA....take it!!!!

Yes, exactly. Thanks each for the reply and words of encouragement. And in all honesty, am I going to let a few replies on a message board determine, what I do with my career? Hardly. I am definitely going to take the interview, but I just was hoping to get some firm insight and any clarity to some of the stupid internet rumors flying around. I am also well aware of upgrade times changing, and I think it is probably one of the most overrated aspects in determining where I, or anyone else, who apply.

Here is another question, if it came down to Pinnacle and ASA, what path might be better in terms of quality of company and lifestyle? I've heard ASA likes to jerk pilots around, esp. young ones, but what regional doesn't like to get the most from what they have? I might have a really good opportunity at Pinnacle as well, and I don't want to pass it up for an ASA job.

Thanks.

If Continental Express, Skywest, Chautaqua, or American Eagle are available, take those jobs before ASA. Our future is terribly uncertain at the moment. Not only do we have all the contract negotiation issues, but Delta is back in the "go / no go" decision stage.

Unless some sort of deal can be worked to spin off ASA and Comair, I have very little doubt that Delta will declare bankruptcy before October. Delta's bankruptcy will have similar disruptive effects on their wholly owned subsidiaries that US Air's bankruptcy had on theirs.

There are very dark storm clouds on the near horizon. Whether or not you chose to launch into that weather depends a lot on your tolerance for turbulence and risk.

If you take ASA for what it is, you could be happy here. And what it is - RJ Training, 121 flying, zero quality of life and $19,000 a year. You could use it as a springboard to something better.

Unfortunately it probably is not the best place for PIC time because many of the Captains are sticking around. Many, if not most, upgraded in less than a year and are making $70K a year now. They have a decent schedule and are not motivated to move. The reason for this clump of Captains is the hiring that went nuts in 1999 and 2000. The RJ expansion is over and if the ATR's go away our net fleet growth will be neglible. I'm thinking upgrade times will go over 6 years unless more of the 1999 and 2000 hires start moving on.

But, as you know this industry can change on a dime. We might get DOJets ( just crazy talk, not even a rumor ) and then upgrade times would go down to probably 6 months.

Rolling the dice at a Regional with a strong partner is probably a better bet....

Pinnacle, or ASA? Tough choice. Northwest is in the same boat as Delta. Throw something good in there like Horizon and make this an easier decision.

~~~^~~~ said:
But, as you know this industry can change on a dime.

The distilled truth via flightinfo.com.

Best of luck with your career decision.

"Sit back, relax and enjoy the ride..."

~~~^~~~ said:
bly is not the best place for PIC time because many of the Captains are sticking around. Many, if not most, upgraded in less than a year and are making $70K a year now. They have a decent schedule and are not motivated to move. The reason for this clump of Captains is the hiring that went nuts in 1999 and 2000. The RJ expansion is over and if the ATR's go away our net fleet growth will be neglible. I'm thinking upgrade times will go over 6 years unless more of the 1999 and 2000 hires start moving on.

Rolling the dice at a Regional with a strong partner is probably a better bet....

Don't forget that we are losing a ton of guys to AirTran, CAL, and JB. We lost 70 pilots last month. As far as finding a regional with a healthy parent good luck. Like you said, this industry can and will change in a heartbeat.

Take whatever job you are offered. You can always go someplace else if you don't like the choice you made.

6 years to upgrade??? dude you and i must not work in the same ASA...new hires are holding 3 on 4 off and still in probation. I say 3 year upgrade...hell it took 4 years for me 9/11 and all...and the ATR seems to be way junior. Based on just upgrade time...American Eagle is way worse. Honestly...i think most regionals are the same except for Mesa. is there really a difference besides location? Contracts change...work rules change...in the end, i think its all the same.

~~~^~~~ said:
If Continental Express, Skywest, Chautaqua, or American Eagle are available, take those jobs before ASA. Our future is terribly uncertain at the moment. Not only do we have all the contract negotiation issues, but Delta is back in the "go / no go" decision stage.

Unless some sort of deal can be worked to spin off ASA and Comair, I have very little doubt that Delta will declare bankruptcy before October. Delta's bankruptcy will have similar disruptive effects on their wholly owned subsidiaries that US Air's bankruptcy had on theirs.

There are very dark storm clouds on the near horizon. Whether or not you chose to launch into that weather depends a lot on your tolerance for turbulence and risk.

If you take ASA for what it is, you could be happy here. And what it is - RJ Training, 121 flying, zero quality of life and $19,000 a year. You could use it as a springboard to something better.

Unfortunately it probably is not the best place for PIC time because many of the Captains are sticking around. Many, if not most, upgraded in less than a year and are making $70K a year now. They have a decent schedule and are not motivated to move. The reason for this clump of Captains is the hiring that went nuts in 1999 and 2000. The RJ expansion is over and if the ATR's go away our net fleet growth will be neglible. I'm thinking upgrade times will go over 6 years unless more of the 1999 and 2000 hires start moving on.

But, as you know this industry can change on a dime. We might get DOJets ( just crazy talk, not even a rumor ) and then upgrade times would go down to probably 6 months.

I agree with Fins about one thing, take COEX (Expressjet) if offered first. As far as everything else he said, I see the same old theme each time---DELTA is doomed and ASA is going down with it. Well, I think there could be some restructuring in the future, but a friendly GA judge (just like USAir got in DC who proclaimed in the beginning of their Chap 11 proceedings "I will not let USAir liquidate") will do wonders for the big D. There will probably be a sale of ASA and Comair, but the only thing that might change is the person who signs the pay check. Delta has changed a lot of things to get it's balance sheet in "order"----but, we are a year too late in doing so. Recent fare increases will help with Q3 oil orices, which should go down after the Summer driving season ends. I think DL will survive this in the end in some form or another (maybe a merger with NW), and ASA will also (maybe after being sold to SkyWest).

As far as NW goes, they do have labor problems, and the management may just want a judge to decide or impose contracts. That may not go over well, but it may be the way to right size NW for a possible merger with DL. The fleets are different, but the oldest equipment at both are going away, and the routes and hubs fit perfectly because most are not on top of each other. (CVG and MEM would go bye bye, though---since too close to DTW and ATL) They fly a lot to the Pacific, and we fly a lot to Europe and South America. I also predict United and CAL merging and Bethune taking hold again. (He has offered already to buy into the new United with an investment group) It will be interesting to watch.

So, go to ASA if Expressjet doesn't call. And FINS, please apply to CAL.(you will lose interest in the RJDC fast)

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back