Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA - Bottom Line - Would you work there...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am going to toss this one out. Even with 9/11 ASA never let anyone go. I just don't see it going away. Money for DL, good rep with the pilot group (most DAL pilots don't care-bigger fish to fry)... at this point NW pilot group has more to lose, yet again I am just a dumb line pilot.

SouthTex said:
I am going to toss this one out. Even with 9/11 ASA never let anyone go. I just don't see it going away. Money for DL, good rep with the pilot group (most DAL pilots don't care-bigger fish to fry)... at this point NW pilot group has more to lose, yet again I am just a dumb line pilot.

Hold up here... ACA didn't furlough after 9/11, and look what happened to them now. I just wrote that to say it isn't a valid point when describing a carrier's prospects. Yes, I know they were not wholly owned and that UA filed BK to get them in the situation that they are in now. All that needs to happen for ASA to be in the same boat is to be spun off and DL BK filing.

flyhigh2610 said:
6 years to upgrade??? dude you and i must not work in the same ASA...new hires are holding 3 on 4 off and still in probation. I say 3 year upgrade...hell it took 4 years for me 9/11 and all...and the ATR seems to be way junior.
ASA was about mid way through the "largest RJ order in history," Comair went on strike, and Delta restructured with a very RJ oriented management team during your time at ASA.

If an airline has 5 airplanes and gets another 5, it has doubled in size and everyone becomes a Captain. If an airline has 160 airplanes and gets another 5, it really doesn't mean much to the new hires.

We do not know how many people will leave ASA. The number will probably accelerate. But, there are quite a few pilots ( current seniority 800'ish ) that seem to be pretty comfortable. Most of the folks leaving the airline have been First Officers, which speaks volumes about how they see quality of life and upgrade times.

As for schedules, it is true that new hire FO's could probably hold a decent CDO line, or 4 on, 3 off over the weekends after 6 months to a year. The FO side of the list has been moving along at a good clip. I am guessing many FO's did not feel it was worth the move from Dallas to Atlanta.

And Atlanta is the junior base. It is taking about 6 months to hold the SLC FO bid.

~~~^~~~

General Lee said:
Well, I think there could be some restructuring in the future.

Bye Bye--General Lee
Really? You think?

Northwest and Delta? Whoo Hoo what a labor love fest that would be. I would pay my own way to attend that Executive Board Meeting. Flightinfo had better get a faster server. Just remember, if you strap together two one legged men, the result is rarely a track star.

Right now, Delta does not have the cash to make through the third and fourth quarters. Skywest and others may have sniffed at ASA and decided it was not palatable. Investors are so busy remodeling houses that finding silly folks that would put money into a private, or public, equity offering for ASA, or Comair will be difficult - unless Delta does something to make them "sexy." The RJ order was sexy and got ASA's President all kind of accolades for running the best regional back in the day.

Delta needs to sell ASA and Comair to raise winter survival cash. Some sort of equity offer would probably work. Parts of the investment community are awash with cash ( hence the below real market mortage rates ).

Last edited:
SouthTex said:

The ONLY reason ASA didn't furlough after 9/11 was for economic reasons. It costs the company more to do a short-term fulough (with all the retraining) then to keep the bottom people on property (Drew admitted this). If there had been an economic advantage to dumping the bottom X% of pilots, then you had better believe ASA would have furloughed.

Also, there is no way DAL will continue in it's present form. Mainline will continue to contract, and more and more flying will be farmed out to contract carriers (at .10 cents on the dollar). I think DAL will survive, but it will be MUCH smaller, with only the largest planes doing trans-con, and international flights. Everything else will be contract and ASA/CMR (who may again become contract carriers with a sale.)

From a business perspective, this is probably a good thing.

flyhigh2610 said:
6 years to upgrade??? dude you and i must not work in the same ASA...new hires are holding 3 on 4 off and still in probation. I say 3 year upgrade...hell it took 4 years for me 9/11 and all...and the ATR seems to be way junior. Based on just upgrade time...American Eagle is way worse. Honestly...i think most regionals are the same except for Mesa. is there really a difference besides location? Contracts change...work rules change...in the end, i think its all the same.

Dude, you and I must work for a different ASA.......I have been here 3 years, I cannot even hold a line on the 70, and there are 240 FO's senior to me to upgrade. Thats about 50 more aircraft ASA needs to add until all those FOs upgrade, minus those that pass upgrade or leave, of course. Anyway, upgrade is over 5 years at ASA, based on the numbers I see.

Also, I'm calling B.S on 70 pilots quit last month. I moved up 55 numbers from Jan-Julys seniority ---- and that was when everyone was going around saying 20+ pilots were leaving every month. If so, I should have moved up over 100.

Most of the pilots leaving ASA are relatively junior FO's. They see greener grass on the other side! I moved up 40#'s in 7 months.
As for upgrade it is just under 4.5 years.....that's a fact! Look at the class dates and awards............

79%N1 said:
Dude, you and I must work for a different ASA.......I have been here 3 years, I cannot even hold a line on the 70, and there are 240 FO's senior to me to upgrade. Thats about 50 more aircraft ASA needs to add until all those FOs upgrade, minus those that pass upgrade or leave, of course. Anyway, upgrade is over 5 years at ASA, based on the numbers I see.

Dude, you are on the 70... that's why. He's talking about the 50 seater. Bottom line at ASA the 50 seater guys are generally happy (except for senior capt's who are never happy). The ATR and CR7 guys are always complaining and rightfully so. Crappy schedules on both, and the 70 is way senior (people thinking a few bucks an hour more per hour is worth the crappy lines and sitting reserve for years.. go right ahead!)

It's true, probation pilots are holding 3 on 4 off. Barely, but it's happening.

JDREsquire, for your sake, I'm really hoping those aren't your real initials. If they are it'll probably take the fine people at ASA about 5 seconds to figure out who you are: the CFI with your initials and 1005 hours. Is that post the first impression you want the interviewers to have of you? It wasn't too bad, but neither was it the boot-licking, sycophantic, "I'd like to work at ASA for the rest of my career, sir.", kind of kiss-up drivel interviewers are used to.

Maybe I'm being a little paranoid, but I wouldn't want the interviewers thinking about:
JDREsquire1224 said:
I've heard ASA likes to jerk pilots around, esp. young ones, but what regional doesn't like to get the most from what they have? I might have a really good opportunity at Pinnacle as well, and I don't want to pass it up for an ASA job.
when they ask you, "So, why would you like to fly for ASA?"

Unless you want every post you make available to any interviewer you will face, I recommend changing your screenname. Interviewers often frequent these boards and many consider it a fun challenge to figure out who is asking the questions. Welcome to flightinfo.

Last edited:
Sinca3 said:
Most of the pilots leaving ASA are relatively junior FO's. They see greener grass on the other side! I moved up 40#'s in 7 months.
As for upgrade it is just under 4.5 years.....that's a fact! Look at the class dates and awards............

Yea, Sinca, I dont dispute that.....BUT, those are the people hired in early 2001, hence 4.5 years. People hired in late 01, 02, 03, 04, and 05 I'm afraid will wait MUCH longer than that! Like I said, I've been here 3, and I'm NO WHERE CLOSE. That too could change, but who knows. It could go longer even.

Latest resources

Back