• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA and the USAir Hudson:

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Who wants to bet we'll get new TOLD cards with an added block for "environmental factors briefing."

-Birds in vicinity: Yes/No
-Bird escape criteria: Standard / Non-Standard
-Airport Elevation (again) and height above ground of birds in the vicinity: ______ / ______
-Pre-takeoff binocular departure path "bird-contamination" check: Complete/Incomplete

Not a bad policy, for an airline like ASA that has to play to their lowest common denominator. If such a policy had been in-place at USAIR, that airplane wouldn't be the newest trash-barge for NYC.

They didn't hit the birds until a minute or so after departure. Chances are they wouldn't have seen them from the runway to begin with, so it would still be the newest trash-barge for NYC.

There's a limited amount of things you can try to prevent on the ground before you take off. After that, you just have to rely on your training to get you and your pax out of whatever mess you find yourself in.

DAL already has one in effect. This morning, all DAL flight departing LGA were heard saying "Wind and Bird check?"

If we installed giant and glorious BH mustaches on the front of the planes, then the birds would be intimidated out of the way.

Mr. Pidgeon- "Hey Swift, what's that mean looking thing lining up on the runway?"

Mr. Swift- "I dunno, Pidgeon. But it has wrath from the looks of it. It seems to have a mighty mustache. We should move."

Mr. Pidgeon- "You're right. This stinks of Salt Lake. Let's go. Waddle off into the grass and lets not upset it."

Mr. Swift- "Yes. I need an adult."

That's how it would happen...every time.
I thought this was leading into a Chuck Norris joke.

Where's the love for the FO? The media is giving the captain a medal of honor, but it was a team activity, right? Sheeesh...
Agreed- this is bothering me too... Let's give the FO some love here. The FA I was flying with today mentioned how the FA's got no mention for their evac assistance... granted, what do you tell people... get out, er on the wing, NOW.

From the sounds of it, there will be nothing that the Feds can reasonably do to address this. 'Reasonably' being the key word.
And that GUARANTEES that the Feds will do something about it!!!!

I think you have just about run that one into the ground. Do you get offended when someone says "wind check"

No.

In fact, I've asked for one on the F-Terminal ramp in Philly, when DAL was still a presence on the opposing gates.

Will it be necessary to have 5 mi separation if "Heavy Bird Activity" is reported?

Latest resources

Back