• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA and Greencards

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
While I sympathize with the hoops a green card holder has to jump through to get a job in the US, the green card pilots have yet to answer a single question...if trained and capable Americans are out of work in a certain field, then why isn't it the right of the host country to restrict employment in that field?

Our Immigration policy is so fcuked it can't take a bus to fcuked. Additionally, I have no quarrel with the individual pilot/nurse/computer programmer who swings a green card to work in Los Estados Unidos.

I do not however, repeat, don't like people to piss on me and tell me it's raining. Our immigration situation is divorced from foreign content of imported goods, our Treasury debt or any of the other thousand red herrings that have entered this thread.

It's about the fundamental unfairness to the American taxpayer who played by the rules and finds himself unemployed while the .gov says its ok to have a foreigner come and take a job.

the green card pilots have yet to answer a single question...if trained and capable Americans are out of work in a certain field, then why isn't it the right of the host country to restrict employment in that field?

Because there are more the plenty flying jobs out there. Just have a look at all the different pilot job employment boards out there both online and printed. Granted, a lot of these aren't good flying jobs, but that is just the way this industry is.

But fact is, if you are not picky, you can get a flying job. people that complain that they can't get a job, need to take a good hard look at them selves as to why that is.

Again, illegal immigration is an issue that needs to be addressed immediately. But do you guy's know how few legal immigrants make up our total population? Get over it. It's nearly nothing!

Last edited:
Dear sir,

You raised some valid questions. Let me (try to) answer them one by one.

AceCrackshot said:
While I sympathize with the hoops a green card holder has to jump through to get a job in the US

Well thank you sir. 3 years down, 3 to go. Then 3 more to citizenship.

AceCrackshot said:
if trained and capable Americans are out of work in a certain field, then why isn't it the right of the host country to restrict employment in that field?

It sure is and should be the right of this country to restrict employment in that field! Therefore, right now, there is NOW WAY on earth ANY 121 carier would even consider sponsoring a foreigner for his green card or temporary work permit (H-1) as a pilot. On top of that, how many furloughed pilots are willing to take that sh*ty 135 job anyway?

AceCrackshot said:
Our Immigration policy is so fcuked it can't take a bus to fcuked. Additionally, I have no quarrel with the individual pilot/nurse/computer programmer who swings a green card to work in Los Estados Unidos.

“swings a green card” If only you would know my friend. www.ins.gov start reading

AceCrackshot said:
It's about the fundamental unfairness to the American taxpayer who played by the rules and finds himself unemployed while the .gov says its ok to have a foreigner come and take a job

Sir, you do not seem like a stupid person to me, so please start reading into the subject before you start talking about it. It is simply NOT possible for a foreigner (legally) to come over and get a job that requires skill (ie: commercial pilots, dokters etc etc ) if there are unemployed US citizens sitting at home waiting at home for those jobs to take.

Getting a temporary work permit (H-1) requires AT LEAST a 4 year degree + additional skills. After obtaining your H-1 you are only allowed to work for your sponsor for a period of 3 years. You pay tax into the SS system, without being eligible to benefit from anything. (Unlike our friends from Mexico who jump over the border without any education only to receive free schooling and medical care in the US… Only to end up b*tching about this country and its citizens -- in spanish!.. )

After 3 years you are allowed to start the Green Card procedure which is a 3 phases procedure thing…. Phase 1 one being a authorization from the department of labor. Guess what… Yo won’t make it thru that phase if there are US citizens for that job. In general it takes up to 3 years (which brings the total to six) for western Europeans to get their Green Card interview… 7/8 years for people from further east most of the time. After that it’s another 3 years to obtain your citizenship. Total cost for me (after 3 years) is 15.000 USD in legal fees. I am paying tax, learning the language, without any bitching or complaining since it was my own choice to come over here and play the game by it’s rules.

Let me know if you have any more question, I would be more then happy to (try to ) answer them for you, or give you my lawyers phone # who would be more then happy to explain a few things about immigration policies to you.

I also would like to add that I find it amazing how many ignorant and uneducated people walk around here. Do yourself a favor and start talking to (American) pilots at Cathay Pacific, Dragon air, KLM, BA, Emirates, Nippon Air Cargo etc etc etc. Then again, you won't meet them at Lincoln reg airport I guess...

Being a commercial pilot, one would think you would have somewhat more of a "worldly" (if you will) view and perspective on things.

If you are lucky I will give up the endless fight with the INS in a year or so and go back to the old country to get a flying job at Netjets, KLM, Ryanair or British Airways where I will be (and more then happy to) flying with many (skilled) Americans.

I will however steel one of your US women and bring her with me to Europe. But for whatsoever strange reason a lot of women over here want to go over to Europe as bad as I want to stay here. Oh well, grass is always greener on the other side of the fence I guess!

PS: Do you fly for COEX? one of my best (american ) friends over there would be more then willing to talk to you about all the sh*t I had to go thru for the last 3 years with at least another 4 years to go.

fareview said:
So along the lines of America first would you also suggest that foreigners not buy OUR products after all what’s good for the goose is good for the gander, non?

I wonder how successful the co. that manufactured the 727 that you fly would prevail if foreigners took a page out of your book or Microsoft or GE or ...oh never mind

Remember we were instrumental in winning facism (WW1, WW2) communism (the Cold War) authoritarianism (Panama, Haiti, The Balkans, Grenada, etc) and eventually we will beat Jihadism (this one will take time – perhaps generations – but the result will be to our benefit)

What does ...ism mean? Its an idea and the only one that works is capitalism
Why because the premise of other systems are fundamentally flawed – and in the long run they are doomed to failure

China and India are embracing the free markets in good ole’ American fashion and look at the results...why? Because the premise of their old systems are fundamentally flawed...are you getting it yet? Its called globalization

How does that relate to greencards?

The one area where this country is unassailable is our economic model. The US accounts for (roughly) 5% of the worlds population but 20% of the worlds GDP...BTW China is roughly the inverse.

If we close our borders how will we spread this message? Who will fill the ranks of our graduate schools along with Americans? How will we create an environment where our wares will be purchased overseas if we become isolationist.

My friend ...
May I remind you that here in the US the unemployment rate is around 5%. If you have ever studied any basic economics you would know that that is considered virtual employment due to transience and the fact that some people will not get up and go to work out of choice i.e some Americans...cue the ambitious immigrant who will work hard, procreate and instill that ethic in his or her AMERICAN offspring making this country better off (higher tax revenues...Sherlock).

Do us all a favor will you...get a clue and while you are at it go pick up a book and read about isolationism and how it works... need a hint on where to start. Pyongyang.

Respectfully,

Great post my friend.

Ace and Piper, back to you guys..... (can't wait)

Yours,
FD

Last edited:
While I sympathize with the hoops a green card holder has to jump through to get a job in the US, the green card pilots have yet to answer a single question...if trained and capable Americans are out of work in a certain field, then why isn't it the right of the host country to restrict employment in that field?

I do not however, repeat, don't like people to piss on me and tell me it's raining. Our immigration situation is divorced from foreign content of imported goods, our Treasury debt or any of the other thousand red herrings that have entered this thread.

It's about the fundamental unfairness to the American taxpayer who played by the rules and finds himself unemployed while the .gov says its ok to have a foreigner come and take a job.

Go back to watching FOX news...

The_Russian said:
Please come to the US to work! I need some more people to make fun of on the radio!

rojer!

So true. Half the guys I hear on the RJ aircraft sound as if they are speaking from an Afghan ESL booklet.

AceCrackshot said:

To add to FD's list of airlines where Americans have been or are working:

EVA, JAL, Air Japan, Gulf Air, Qatar, Korean Air, China Airlines, Etihad, Jade, SIACargo...

SIA mainline, Easyjet, Ryanair (DEC 737), Qantas, Air NZ....

Oh well, enough of this cr*p for this guy. Im gonna get me some beers!

Later.

Flyingdutchman said:
SIA mainline, Easyjet, Ryanair (DEC 737), Qantas, Air NZ....

Oh well, enough of this cr*p for this guy. Im gonna get me some beers!

Later.

How many American pilots does British Airways, Air Canada, Virgin Atlantic, Lufthansa, Alitalia, KLM and various other top tier carriers employee? How many flight schools in the UK are hosting American pilots learning to fly?

Are you just stupid or am I just smart?

Have you seen gas prices lately?? Or what it costs to pay for your JAA licenses compared to your FAA tickets? Why would any American want to go to flight training in the UK?

Great question there buddy.....

Flyingdutchman said:
Are you just stupid or am I just smart?

Have you seen gas prices lately?? Or what it costs to pay for your JAA licenses compared to your FAA tickets? Why would any American want to go to flight training in the UK?

Great question there buddy.....

You crack me up man.:)

Latest resources

Back