ASA 700 Staffing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
and a 74 has double the capacity of the 320

Exactly, going by their theory lets staff mainline with 500 pilots, Capts paid 500k and FOs paid 250k and fly an A380 from the outstation at 8am and fly another A380 for the RON at 2100. Perfect way to run an airline!

None of that changes the fact that the plane holds DOUBLE what the CRJ does.

You're right. However, 3 rj flights uses about the same fuel (a little more maybe...negligible...), 1/3 the fa cost, 1/2 the ramp personnel cost, 1/3 purchase cost, 1/2 the Mtc cost & undoubtedly 1/2-1/4 the pilot cost...same # of people (actually more on 3rj's vs. a320) with 3 times the options

$40/barrel or $100/barrel, fuel costs the same for an rj and a 747.... the Larger planes didn't magically become more fuel efficient and the rj's less

What the world needs now is LOVE! The ATL world is about to get plenty of it and rj's should be the last thing on your mind!

You're right. However, 3 rj flights uses about the same fuel (a little more maybe...negligible...), 1/3 the fa cost, 1/2 the ramp personnel cost, 1/3 purchase cost, 1/2 the Mtc cost & undoubtedly 1/2-1/4 the pilot cost...same # of people (actually more on 3rj's vs. a320) with 3 times the options

$40/barrel or $100/barrel, fuel costs the same for an rj and a 747.... the Larger planes didn't magically become more fuel efficient and the rj's less

Actually, considering a 150 seat airbus burns ~2600/ side at .78, and the RJ if I remember was 1600/ a side... At .74... CRj burns about 9600lbs/ hr to carry 150 folks and the bus burns 5200. That's a little more then negligible.

Actually, considering a 150 seat airbus burns ~2600/ side at .78, and the RJ if I remember was 1600/ a side... At .74... CRj burns about 9600lbs/ hr to carry 150 folks and the bus burns 5200. That's a little more then negligible.

displaying those math skills and the sound logic demonstrated in your logic above, it's no wonder you were snatched up by a major. Sheer Brilliance.

displaying those math skills and the sound logic demonstrated in your logic above, it's no wonder you were snatched up by a major. Sheer Brilliance.

Maybe it's early and I'm missing something but where am I wrong...

CRj = 50 seats 1600/side = 3200/hr. to carry 150 seats 1 hr (3 ac) = 9600lbs/hr

A320 = 150 seats 2600/side = 5200/ hr to carry 150 seats 1 hr.

Am I missing something?

Yes, you get the ability to flex your schedule, but to get the same amount of folks from point a to b on a crj200 you burn almost twice the fuel. I have no experience with the 70 or 90, maybe it has a better burn.

Last edited:
Maybe it's early and I'm missing something but where am I wrong...

CRj = 50 seats 1600/side = 3200/hr. to carry 150 seats 1 hr (3 ac) = 9600lbs/hr

A320 = 150 seats 2600/side = 5200/ hr to carry 150 seats 1 hr.

Am I missing something?

Yes, you get the ability to flex your schedule, but to get the same amount of folks from point a to b on a crj200 you burn almost twice the fuel. I have no experience with the 70 or 90, maybe it has a better burn.

Unless you fly said 320 to a place that routinely only books 75 people... that's the only places RJs should be used. It's the only way they're worth the high fuel burn... places where you can't fill a larger airplane. Flying big airplanes with open seats increases seat mile costs. Small planes flown full justifies fuel burn. Get it?

Unless you fly said 320 to a place that routinely only books 75 people... that's the only places RJs should be used. It's the only way they're worth the high fuel burn... places where you can't fill a larger airplane. Flying big airplanes with open seats increases seat mile costs. Small planes flown full justifies fuel burn. Get it?

I get that, completely. I just think there are few markets that are worth serving that only board 75 folks. Hell, Ithaca ny has 3-5 flights a day to Philly with no competition, why not send 1-2 larger planes. I'm not trying to argue against the pilots, heck I flew an RJ for a while, i guess I can't rationalize the buisness case.

Latest resources

Back