• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA 700 Staffing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I swear ALPA needs to do a mass course on Airline Economics, Finance and Managing Expectations. Its severely needed.

Maybe it's early and I'm missing something but where am I wrong...

CRj = 50 seats 1600/side = 3200/hr. to carry 150 seats 1 hr (3 ac) = 9600lbs/hr

A320 = 150 seats 2600/side = 5200/ hr to carry 150 seats 1 hr.

Am I missing something?

Yes, you get the ability to flex your schedule, but to get the same amount of folks from point a to b on a crj200 you burn almost twice the fuel. I have no experience with the 70 or 90, maybe it has a better burn.

Don't forget that the a320 also has first class.

Actually, considering a 150 seat airbus burns ~2600/ side at .78, and the RJ if I remember was 1600/ a side... At .74... CRj burns about 9600lbs/ hr to carry 150 folks and the bus burns 5200. That's a little more then negligible.
Mainline CA @ 10yrs= $172/hr. vs. RJ CA @ 10yrs= $79/hr.
and
Mainline FO @ 2yrs= $86/hr. vs RJ FO @ 2yrs= $36/hr.
(not to mention the differences in contracts, benefits, training, A/C costs, blah, blah, blah)
and
Mainline FA's vs. RJ FA's (3 to 1) no idea the $
and
Mainline MTC...blah, blah, blah, blah.....

I guarantee its not the huge cost gap you have been led to believe.

ohplease! said:
I guarantee its not the huge cost gap you have been led to believe.

The delta (no pun intended) in fuel burn is 4400lb or 656 gallons; at the $3.11/gal average fuel price Delta paid in Q1'12 per the 10Q that's over $2000.

I'd say that more than makes up the difference in crew costs.

The delta (no pun intended) in fuel burn is 4400lb or 656 gallons; at the $3.11/gal average fuel price Delta paid in Q1'12 per the 10Q that's over $2000.

I'd say that more than makes up the difference in crew costs.
True, except you're only looking at the expense side of the balance sheet. You also have to look at the revenue--if only one Airbus a day flies out of the outstation (vs. 3 RJs at widely spaced intervals), I guarantee a large number of pax would never purchase tickets to begin with. If the schedule doesn't work for a passenger, he flies on someone else or he doesn't go. A market consists of both a city pair AND a specific point in time.

Latest resources

Back