Asa - 22 Crj900

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
General Lee said:
Are you sure we won't get them? Really? We'll see there chief. You may get some more CR7s, but I don't think anything bigger than that. Time will tell, but Dalpa just offered some CR7s, nothing bigger, and the judge noticed that Delta's 79 seat proposal "outsourced" Delta pilots. She figured it out, and she may be the one who decides this whole thing.

Bye Bye--General Lee
Am I sure? Hell no I'm not sure. I'm not sure I'll have a job to go to next week. I'm not sure what the industry is going to look like tomorrow, next week, next year or 20 years from now when I retire. Its just an opinion. I don't think mainline wants to fly our "light twins" that you guys seem to think are so far beneath you. I don't think your "heavy" ego's will allow you to stoop to our level. Its too bad you guy's blew us off before when we tried to get some kind of flow through and put all this under one house.

I don't wish anything bad on ANYONE but, you guys are trying to limit my future and the truth is you don't give a dang what happens to me as long as you get what you want. You think I'm going to fall on a sword for you? Not going to happen. Not when I know (because you've proven to me more than once) you would NEVER do it for me.

I don't get to make any of the decisions about what direction this company goes or what we fly. You can rest assured though that I'll welcome any new planes that come to us and the bigger the better.

Will you get everything over 70 or 100 seats? Maybe. I doubt it though. I still believe you guys are going to do International, long haul domestic and very high volume domestic with really big birds. We'll do the rest.

Just my opinion.

~~~^~~~ said:
General:

The Judge has made it obvious she wants ALPA and Delta to work something out so she will not have to rule on this complex issue. From the bizzare comments she has made to suggestions that she is favoring one side or another, it is all created to generate uncertainty in both parties and force them to a negotiated resolution.

I do not expect ALPA to cross the arbitrary 70 seat line in the sand. So again, I think ALPA is going to force Delta into ordering an airplane that is not best for the Company as a whole. Delta is not going to start an RJ program at mainline for a small fleet of aircraft.

Of course, the other issue is whether or not SkyWest wants to fly a 70 seater when better airplanes are available that they might use in a post Delta World. SkyWest might still get the 90 seaters and put 70 seats in them. I think the operational costs are very close, within 5% (same wing and engines, slightly more weight, less range)

Michael, I hope the pensions, or some part of them, will remain in effect.

Fins,

First of all, I saw on the news tonight that Verizon Wireless, a healthy company, is dropping their defined benefit plan in favor of a Difined Contribution plan. The days of "knowing your pensions checks will come every month" may soon be over for everyone. We have $10.6 Billion in obligations, and it doesn't sound like the company wants to pay for any of it.

As far as the 70 or 79 seat deal, I think there are some planes out there that could help us out in that arena. Are you familiar with the Air Canada situation? They went through bankruptcy and then came out ordering 15 777s and 18 787s, and also got Emb175s and Emb 190s, and all flown by mainline. The Brazilian manufacturer is supposedly looking for buyers, and the EMB product is a lot better than the Canadair version. The EMB is also cheaper than the 737-600 or -700, and probably just as comfortable. I believe our furloughs and junior folks would LOVE to fly them(I'll fly it left seat for sure), and as far as the rates go, we would try to get a fair rate (like AWA/USAir did--a bit better than the Jetblue rates), and would work on better rates for the next round. We'll see how it goes.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
ohplease! said:
Am I sure? Hell no I'm not sure. I'm not sure I'll have a job to go to next week. I'm not sure what the industry is going to look like tomorrow, next week, next year or 20 years from now when I retire. Its just an opinion. I don't think mainline wants to fly our "light twins" that you guys seem to think are so far beneath you. I don't think your "heavy" ego's will allow you to stoop to our level. Its too bad you guy's blew us off before when we tried to get some kind of flow through and put all this under one house.

I don't wish anything bad on ANYONE but, you guys are trying to limit my future and the truth is you don't give a dang what happens to me as long as you get what you want. You think I'm going to fall on a sword for you? Not going to happen. Not when I know (because you've proven to me more than once) you would NEVER do it for me.

I don't get to make any of the decisions about what direction this company goes or what we fly. You can rest assured though that I'll welcome any new planes that come to us and the bigger the better.

Will you get everything over 70 or 100 seats? Maybe. I doubt it though. I still believe you guys are going to do International, long haul domestic and very high volume domestic with really big birds. We'll do the rest.

Just my opinion.

You're right, there is a lot of confusion out there for both of us. But, we will NOT accept your strategy of flying only long haul or high volume stuff, along with INTL. It would BEHOOVE you to want us to fly more, since it could allow you an avenue out of DCI. More jobs with better benefits and pay is GOOD for the industry. It is guys like you with your shortsightedness that plauge this industry. It is time for you to FOCUS. Come on, try it, FOCUS. I don't want you to fall on a sword for me, but you better hope we don't fall on a sword ourselves---because you will come along with us. Sounds like you have SJS. Bigger is better-----that is something you should say to your wife, not your company when your pay is the same. And, who says the CR9 or E175 is "beneath us?" We never said that. The E190 and even the E175 is as big as a 737-200, and that is the airplane type that would be replaced. We won't lose that shorthaul domestic flying if we don't have to, and the judge seems to agree about the "outsourcing of Delta pilots." We will see.....

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee said:
You're right, there is a lot of confusion out there for both of us. But, we will NOT accept your strategy of flying only long haul or high volume stuff, along with INTL. It would BEHOOVE you to want us to fly more, since it could allow you an avenue out of DCI. More jobs with better benefits and pay is GOOD for the industry. It is guys like you with your shortsightedness that plauge this industry. It is time for you to FOCUS. Come on, try it, FOCUS. I don't want you to fall on a sword for me, but you better hope we don't fall on a sword ourselves---because you will come along with us. Sounds like you have SJS. Bigger is better-----that is something you should say to your wife, not your company when your pay is the same. And, who says the CR9 or E175 is "beneath us?" We never said that. The E190 and even the E175 is as big as a 737-200, and that is the airplane type that would be replaced. We won't lose that shorthaul domestic flying if we don't have to, and the judge seems to agree about the "outsourcing of Delta pilots." We will see.....

Bye Bye--General Lee

SJS? cute phrase. Yeah thats me.
Bigger is better for me because the guys above me will think they are so much cooler because they fly the newest or the biggest thing we have. That'll make my QOL continue to go up. I'll stay right here on my 50 as long as QOL stays good. Hell, I'd gladly go back to ATR if their lines were better. I really don't care what I'm flying.

More jobs and better pay/benefits are always better. I agree. My avenue out of DCI isn't there. Not going to happen for me. No 4 yr. degree and I'd rather spend time with my children while they're growing up than go back to school and chase mainline. By the time they're gone, I'll be 50+. Even after crossing all the t's and dotting all the i's, the odds of getting the job are just too slim for me to bet that much on. If Airtran calls, I'll gladly go there but, thats about it for me.

You may not have said it but, your actions SCREAM it.

Dave Benjamin said:
If I'm reading your profile correctly you left SkyWest for a 727 job. Are you saying that being furloughed is better than being a senior captain at SKYW? That's an interesting perspective.

For the most part you are correct. One thing I have learned is that things happen for a reason. Staying at SW would have been a very complacent for me. Bouncing from f/a to another. Same routes and $55k a year if I had stayed. Now even with the growth of SW I still wouldn't have left Diego. So it would have been the same old thing - four on three off, no pension, and no upward movement. The top 10 senior guys still have over 10 years with the CO and are going NOWHERE fast. Don't get me wrong - it was the most fun job I have ever had - great people, owners.

Once furloughed I was able to really live and do things that I would have never been able to do or would not have done: 4month trip to Baja Mex, get married with three month honeymoon in Asia, have a daughter and stay home to help raise her and watch her grow. And devote all the time I want to for the family business. Enough of that - SKyWest is a great Co but not a career for me.

ohplease! said:
Bigger is better for me because the guys above me will think they are so much cooler because they fly the newest or the biggest thing we have. That'll make my QOL continue to go up. I'll stay right here on my 50 as long as QOL stays good. Hell, I'd gladly go back to ATR if their lines were better. I really don't care what I'm flying.

More jobs and better pay/benefits are always better. I agree. My avenue out of DCI isn't there. Not going to happen for me. No 4 yr. degree and I'd rather spend time with my children while they're growing up than go back to school and chase mainline. By the time they're gone, I'll be 50+. Even after crossing all the t's and dotting all the i's, the odds of getting the job are just too slim for me to bet that much on. If Airtran calls, I'll gladly go there but, thats about it for me.

Well, you have set your future in stone. It is great that you want to spend time with your kids, and don't plan to go online to get a degree. That is your decision. But, your narrow minded view is ruining it for everyone else, and you could easily turn that attitude into an RJDC commercial. Most guys who think they are "stuck" get desperate, and start thinking irrationally. That's fine, enjoy your life.

Bye Bye--General Lee

GL....

Once again your posts smack of arrogance and elitism, which is why so many on this board detest you! Why does one have to fly at the Majors to be rational, and thinking clearly. Why does the Majors have to be the pinnacle that we all seek to obtain? Yes, I understand that pay and work rules and retirement and other benefits were superior there, but much of that is eroding.....and that IS NOT THE FAULT OF THE RJ OR ITS PILOTS! Many fly a King Air or Beech Jet as their career pinnacle, and are quite happy! Why would they choose this and not aspire to reach the lofty heights of 'Major Airline' pilot??? Some are Challenger or Gulstream pilots for charter or part 91 for a corporation. Some fly Citations, or Lears or Hawkers for a fractional, and this is what they want for their career! And yes, some are happy to call a "Regional" the final stop of their airplane driving career!!!! Why, the reasons are many, and I wont attempt to list them here. Not all of them have DUI's, lack the college degree (Online or otherwise), or have an accident or incident on their record. Quite contrarily. I fly with many of these pilots on a daily basis. They are good pilots, most worthy to fly your big iron. But they dont, or dont care to. This does not make them lazy, or lacking ambition as you seem to tend to believe. They are happy with where they are at, and there IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT! You seem to think that every pilot wants to, or should want to be a pilot at Delta, American, etc....Well, not all do! But to you, anyone who does not is lazy and wants their company to grow (with bigger planes or not) because they lack the ability or drive to get to "the big leagues"! Enough with that already!!!!
There is nothing wrong with wanting your company to get more and larger airplanes to enhance their QOL at that company! Much like the guy flying a Citation I may hope his company buys a Citation X or a G-V. Whats wrong with that? Oh, but they must all be RJDC supporters too, because they are lazy! Well, the pay, rules and bennies at the Majors has really taken a hit, and a life at a "Regional" or LCC looks even better in this post 911 era. Many still want those careers at the Majors, and many dont. But quit looking down at those who do not!

Last edited:
79%N1 said:
GL....

Once again your posts smack of arrogance and elitism, which is why so many on this board detest you! Why does one have to fly at the Majors to be rational, and thinking clearly. Why does the Majors have to be the pinnacle that we all seek to obtain? Yes, I understand that pay and work rules and retirement and other benefits were superior there, but much of that is eroding.....and that IS NOT THE FAULT OF THE RJ OR ITS PILOTS! Many fly a King Air or Beech Jet as their career pinnacle, and are quite happy! Why would they choose this and not aspire to reach the lofty heights of 'Major Airline' pilot??? Some are Challenger or Gulstream pilots for charter or part 91 for a corporation. Some fly Citations, or Lears or Hawkers for a fractional, and this is what they want for their career! And yes, some are happy to call a "Regional" the final stop of their airplane driving career!!!! Why, the reasons are many, and I wont attempt to list them here. Not all of them have DUI's, lack the college degree (Online or otherwise), or have an accident or incident on their record. Quite contrarily. I fly with many of these pilots on a daily basis. They are good pilots, most worthy to fly your big iron. But they dont, or dont care to. This does not make them lazy, or lacking ambition as you seem to tend to believe. They are happy with where they are at, and there IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT! You seem to think that every pilot wants to, or should want to be a pilot at Delta, American, etc....Well, not all do! But to you, anyone who does not is lazy and wants their company to grow (with bigger planes or not) because they lack the ability or drive to get to "the big leagues"! Enough with that already!!!!
There is nothing wrong with wanting your company to get more and larger airplanes to enhance their QOL at that company! Much like the guy flying a Citation I may hope his company buys a Citation X or a G-V. Whats wrong with that? Oh, but they must all be RJDC supporters too, because they are lazy! Well, the pay, rules and bennies at the Majors has really taken a hit, and a life at a "Regional" or LCC looks even better in this post 911 era. Many still want those careers at the Majors, and many dont. But quit looking down at those who do not!
very well said.

ohplease! said:

Please do this Auburn grad a favor and change your avatar. Embarrassing.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back