Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

igneousy2

From the ALPA update...

It was recently brought to the MEC’s attention that a FODO who was right seat qualified flew two revenue flights in May in the First Officer position. Management’s explanation of the assignment was that it was required because of a staffing shortfall due to an abnormally high number of sick leave calls. Especially in light of the fact that there are 93 pilots currently on the furlough, we will be challenging any attempts to permit check airmen to fly in the right seat other than when conducting mandatory training, as well as the similar assignment of other non-flying and supervisory pilots such as FODO’s.

Both the MEC and management agree that when they bid for and fly a regular monthly line, the abovementioned pilots are restricted to their permanent bid seat position. Where the MEC disagrees with management is on the application of Section 10 (Non-Flying or Supervisory Duty) and on the portion of Section 25 (Scheduling) that addresses the assignment of open flying time.

Your MEC officers met yesterday afternoon with Chief Pilot TK to address the issue. In response, he directed the scheduling department to refrain from using FODO’s and check airmen in right seat flying assignments (other than for mandatory training events) until further notice and has agreed to refer the issue to the Scheduling Management Group. We are fully prepared to grieve this matter if necessary, but at the same time we recognize Captain K’s actions as a positive step in trying to resolve the dispute ahead of the grievance and arbitration process.

We will continue to keep you updated as more information becomes available and will also inform you on the outcome of the Scheduling Management Group’s meeting to address this very important issue. In the meantime, if you have any questions about the application or enforcement of your CBA, please contact your Contract Compliance Committee.

They are just practicing for what will be a busy summer from the right seat!

It's already stopped. TK is on our side, so they say. I have a better idea - RECALL!!!
I'm off to start ANC in 2 days. F!

Baja.

I don't understand why AS needs to do this - I mean most pilots aren't anywhere near the FAR max . . .:smash:

This has been happening for while. TK is a good guy and I bet/hope that he sticks to this. Now the recalls needed should come but they are trying to nickel and dime everyone to death. Now if everyone stops picking up open time then we can show them. I know that BH, JF and others have been doing it for while.

?? meaning that they can pick it up or reserves should be able to cover it?

Meaning I don't think the contract should have been voted in when it allowed for VSA and furloughs.

It's already stopped. TK is on our side, so they say. I have a better idea - RECALL!!!
I'm off to start ANC in 2 days. F!

Baja.

While I would agree that TK has thus far taken the high road on this issue...I would not go so far as to say he is on "our side"

The companies response stated that the MEC questioned the "past practice" of letting check-airman flying the right seat...read between the lines...and it means we can do this because we've always been doing this.

TK also did not say they won't do this anymore...he is simply stopping until the SMG is able to meet.

What do you want to be that the SMG will meet and not agree.

Furloughs are not back because of the amount of open time guys on vacation are picking up (approx 15hrs per person avg), vsa, and premium trips. The rich get richer and the furloughs last longer. The flipside is that guys are trying to 'make up' from Kasher what they lost.

This summer should be 'interesting'....
Mookie

The root of all this evil is the "gummers". You listen to these guys for 5, 7, 10 years say how much they can't wait to retire - then they turn 60 and stay. If the "gummers" were gone, there would have been no furloughs. It is like a giant 5 year pause button on all our careers.
The good news is that it will make our pension more secure because most of these guys will die a lot younger. Statistically every year you work past age 60 costs you two years in life expectancy.
The other good news is that most of these guys won't even make it to 65. They will try to, but they won't make it. Very few of them that I have flown with have the health to make it 5 more years. They will medical out soon.
So lets looks forward to some better days, getting the old guys outa hear and getting our furloughs back!

Latest resources

Back