• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AS management pilots flying as First Officers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey AK737FO, relax and let it go.....as a bottom feeder on the list myself, you need to let it go. Who are YOU to determine when someone should retire? If they can't pass a medical then they will go but I don't get it when people try to tell someone else how to work and live. Trust me, when YOU are 60 something you will be the one saying you have to stay....do your job and it will come!

Actually, if my financial planer does his job, as I suspect he will, I should be able to punch out at 57 or 58 - that's the goal at least. More time to spend my hard earned money, more time to hunt and fish, more time to do all the things with my wife that we never got around to doing just yet. Driving jets 15 days a month is cool but there is a whole lot more to life for me. This company has way to many guys who have no hobbies, no aspirations, no life - except to drive the jet. Personally, I pity them, but it is indeed their life to live however they choose.

As to our furloughs; it can't be denied that there would be none if the age 65 had not become law. That's all I'm saying. The Govt got in the mix, old guys got to work longer, and young guys got the curb. The men that have influenced me the most at this company, the top notch quality guys who really had an admirable handle on life, all retired early (pre-60). Today they are all living large and have no regrets.

Every summer a common cockpit conversation here is that is it going to be "an interesting summer". This year, I think I might actually believe it. We seem to be short, way short, and it's not going to get any better as the summer progresses.

I love to hear about how quickly some of these guys upgraded to CA. 4 years is a pretty nice number. Unfortunately it's not right now.

4 year upgrades - don't we wish! 14 is the new 4!

The record as far as I know is one guy who went from FE to FO to Captain in 11 months - all while still on probation! He also retired at age 59 and was a wonderful man to work with.
We have lots aroung here who were hired at 24 to 26 and were 727 or 737 Captains by 29. Those were the days! It would have been something to see!

There were 1996 hires who upgraded in 4.5 years. Of course they complain about being on reserve this whole time.

Last edited:
It is not easy to feel some sense of disgust at the gummers. Just take the number one guy on the list. He's over 60. He sits on the board of directors for a large health provider in the Bay area. Google it. His grandfather was one of the wealthiest industrialists in our nation's history. Here is a guy that could have retired at 60 (or 50 for that matter) and been well-regarded. Now he is a pariah and always will be.
I have furloughed friends that are literally just trying to feed their families and a guy like that sticks around. It makes me sick.

It is not easy to feel some sense of disgust at the gummers. Just take the number one guy on the list. He's over 60. He sits on the board of directors for a large health provider in the Bay area. Google it. His grandfather was one of the wealthiest industrialists in our nation's history. Here is a guy that could have retired at 60 (or 50 for that matter) and been well-regarded. Now he is a pariah and always will be.
I have furloughed friends that are literally just trying to feed their families and a guy like that sticks around. It makes me sick.

So, if he retires tomorrow, will they bring back one furloughee?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back