• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ever heard of the term "captainitis"

anyone ever hear of the malady known as captainitis:

A condition whereby a newly upgraded captain displays
signs of paranoia, insecurity, channel surfs with the radar
in level one crap, runs the checklists three times, cusses
all the rampers, tells me i'm not flying the plane right,
and gets squirrely on even a gentleman's ILS?

Also, the important sign someone has the dreaded affliction:
They like to refer to themselves as "Captain" in social settings.

acaterry!!! I guess I am confused about your reply to my message. Did you say you are an idiot?

If you meant me I guess I was an idiot for leaving Eagle for ASA, upgrading to captain on the Brasilia, and all of this when I was 23, and I never had to PFT anywhere. Oh, yeah with a 4 year degree too. I guess I am an idiot, well I will just go out and buy my 3rd house and rent it out like I did the other one. What do I know anyway.

Everyone else, who cares about the CP vs. FO thing. Don't take yourself too serious!

It is real funny when people have an ego trip about being an RJ captain. Who cares... 757 captain..cool, RJ...big deal, that is where you should at least be anyway.

BIOF

SFR,
No, no son. What I am saying is that more often than not, the problem lies within the FO who is saying the CA is the cocky bum. I have only had 2 CA's in my life that I hated flying with. But I have had some 15 or so FO's who just thought they were the Captain. Hell, as a 23 year old CA you HAD to experience that.

I do not agree that "not putting up with their crap" is how to handle it. You just do your job and follow standards. Nothing more, nothing less. That keeps the jerks quiet and usually sooner or later they would do something "their way" and look stupid when you catch them. Then their "Me CA, you nothing" act falls apart.
By being a high and mighty he-man who "does not take any crap" only opens a whole new can of CRM problems.

It's like I said: when I was an FO, I found that almost every time I was warned about a bad CA, I had no problems. Almost all the CA's out there know the importance and necessity of an FO, and they respect the guys as well as their input as a fellow pilot. But the FO's who comes in thinking they are so darn awesome are the guys who ALWAYS going to have trouble with the CA. What happens? They find their way to a thread that's about them and do not like hearing it. So we get what we have now.

Good FO's make good Captains.....a bad FO will rarely make a good Captain.

Each person needs to know their job thoroughly, and do it to the best of their ability. If one person is wrapped up in arrogance, or insecurity--all you can do is be as standard as possible and express any concerns for safety.

If one person wants to be an a$$hole, fine--we can sit in silence (except for callouts) for 1-2 hours at a crack.

Re: ever heard of the term "captainitis"

climbhappy said:
Also, the important sign someone has the dreaded affliction:
They like to refer to themselves as "Captain" in social settings. [/B]

Ah Nuts, I use to have "Capt" on my phone bill!

In Judo one uses the momentum of an attack instead of resistence to control the opponent. This method works every time with right-seat -captains. Just load em up with anything that keeps em busy, let them deal with pax, agents, wght+balance, etc. Let them makes decisions and think they are in a position that is not subordinate. By the end of the day, the wind to puff their sail will be greatly decreased.

I've been w/ my company for well over 1 year. I can remember flying w/ only 1 CA who was weak. He had great decision making skills, but his flying wasn't up to par. The airplane got ahead of him numerous times. I gave him advice, but he was so caught up with trying to get "ahead" that he wasn't listening. I actually had to push some "buttons" to get us out of a 5000'/min descent. Yes, 5000'. He was very thankful, thank God. As for cocky/arrogant CA's, I hear from FO's that this guy is this or that guy is that and to watch out. Maybe it's just me, but when I fly w/ these guys/gals I have nothing but fun. I do my job and they do theirs. They give advice and I listen, vice versa. There is a reason why they are CA. I have no shame in taking constructive critism as long as it helps me to become a better pilot. I actually prefer it. I'm here to do a job, to have FUN, and most importantly be safe. It takes 2 crew members up front for this to happen. So people have fun, enjoy your careers. Good luck and safe flying.

Hi, it's nice to meet you. And what do you do on your days off?

-I like to hang out ALL day on message boards. It's cool and it makes me feel (or pretend) to be really smart.

ok, just one note...

Mil guys are typically more laid back then most in the airlines I've found.........maybe it has something to do with that fact that their experience in the military gave them many situations to deal with.....and now, flying in an enviroment where everything is really done for you, they don't sweat the small stuff like some.....just my two cents....

I dont know about that military thing. I have met people from both worlds. I guarantee that if someone is laid back they will be that way regardless of mil/civ. Vice versa too!!

I am laid back and I am 100% civilian. SO that blows that theory out of the sky.

Smoke it by the bag yeah!!!!!!

SFR said:
acaterry!!! I guess I am confused about your reply to my message. Did you say you are an idiot?

If you meant me I guess I was an idiot for leaving Eagle for ASA, upgrading to captain on the Brasilia, and all of this when I was 23, and I never had to PFT anywhere. Oh, yeah with a 4 year degree too. I guess I am an idiot, well I will just go out and buy my 3rd house and rent it out like I did the other one. What do I know anyway.

I am wondering on how did you manage to get a job at Eagle building your time and going to college at the same time? Oh, also upgrading to captain in a Brasilia at ASA when you only had your ATP less than a year. 23 is the minimum age to obtain a ATP certificate.

You are typed in a Brasilia meaning you did upgrade to Captain but your profile also states you fly the CRJ700. You are an FO in the CRJ? Were you downgraded?

Sounds fishy to me.

:eek:

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back