Arrogant/cocky first officers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CRJPup-

Your post confused me. I was the FO in the scenario, it was the CAPTAIN who had the big head due to his recent upgrade, most likely. And yes, when someone uses the phrases "this is my airplane"/"this is my cockpit", then absolutely they have a CLEAR misunderstanding or blatent disregard for the crew concept. Don't know about the exiting the runway brief thing, 'never seen a captain do that until on the rollout, "we'll get off at X-ray" ... I maintain centerline as we slow while in reverse ... "okay I have the flight controls" ... "you have the flight controls" ... and we exit. That's how it's always been for me...

And Anaconda, don't be so quick to jump on me regarding the military thing. Yes, there are a few ex-military types who are a joy to fly with, I'll give you that. However, my experience has been the opposite, for the most part. In this particular case, when a guy says things like "you wouldn't make it in the <brand of service>" and "you're on notice, I only wish we were in the service" I gotta feel that his attitude and belligerence were/are related to his military experience.

Thanks.

CRJ puppy said:
Hhhmmm,

I'm sorry. I must not understand what the "crew concept" is. I must completely misunderstand the concept. Lordy, that might make me one of those dreaded, evil FO's with the small pecker and big head...

Guess briefing where you'll exit the runway is not part of your approach brief protocol.

I guess there's just many "tools" in the box today!

Everybody is "new" when they get to a new airline. I don't care if you flew the CRJ for 10,000 at a regional---the first day flying for Southwest, jetblue, etc will be a bad one. It takes a while to get use to the surroundings, and hopefully you have an understanding Capt that has been there himself or herself. It might take a month, but everyone will either get used to it or leave. Cocky FO's who call for checklists or who think they are the next Tom Cruise with the flight attendants will ususally screw up and get humbled quick. If not, they are just laughed at.

Bye Bye--General Lee:cool: :rolleyes:

I find that crm is the most difficult part of being a Captain. I personally have two different briefings to my FO's. You can tell right from the get go what type of FO you are going to have. You either have one that knows his postion or one that thinks they are entitiled to your postion as well. Have a briefing prepared for both kinds of FO's. By this I mean a brieing that establishes your authority when you are going to fly with an arrogant FO. It has always worked for me because then I scare them into reality. I myself favor flying with female FO's . Females are always easy to get along with and don't seem to have anything to prove. We need more of them. I guess they are just a nice offset.

ACE said:
I find that crm is the most difficult part of being a Captain.<snipped> It has always worked for me because then I scare them into reality.

Ace,
I'm not surprised you find CRM so difficult. LOL

I second that ACE You do seem to have a head problem with CRM.... This subject should be renamed arrogant cocky insecure with their insecurities captains.

god forbid...

God forbid if some of you on this thread/board ever ask a question rather than just attack everthing you see here. You remind me of the the insecure types that just go judgmental to cover your own insecure hide. Sad. Jeez, the guy was just asking for perspective.

(to those few) Try this. Assume the thread starter is venting or asking for constructive input. Then pause. That should do the trick. Reminds me of a bunch of old hens.

As to the original query, I aggree w/ an earlier poster. Sit back and let him humble himself because with that attitude, he most definately will.

that goes for both sides of the thrust levers.... And I myself to be redundant am very secure with my own insecurities..... hehehe

Best brief.... on CRM. We're just a couple of FO's they let loose in a cockpit. The aircraft just reuires on of us to have a type. Seniority most of the time dictates that.

If a Captain is so full of himself lets just see how strong he feels about his competence judged by how far he lets an FO go.

hehehe or hahaha

Cocky Captains are the same type of guys/girls that want to be line checkairman. What was that famous old saying? Never let a guy who wants to be a line check airman be one. Always find the guy/girl that gets along with everybody, and then ask them to be the check airman. People that start a brief with an arrogant tone have something to hide, usually bad piloting skills or major insecurities. Now at the same time, I don't want a lax Captain that is lazy. The best Captains at Delta that I have flown with are on top of their game, on top of the situation (with maintence items etc.) and nice to everyone, including the fuelers. But, every once and a while you get thrown in with a Napolean type who has something to prove. FO's can be dealt with quickly, but the Captains can be more of a problem. I just heard a story about an "in command" class given to new Captains, and the new Captain (probably on Delta Express and 30 years old) asked the moderator, "If I am so important to Delta Airlines, then why wasn't I given a first class ticket to come up here to ATL?" That is scary. I bet he is back in the FO seat now after the downsizing.

Bye Bye--General Lee:rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back