• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Arrogant/cocky first officers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've flown with some low time FO's in the past and have never had to take the controls. You're not a CFI anymore this is an airline and the pilot sitting next to you isn't doing touch and goes, so try to work together. If you're taking the controls from your FO I think you're the one with the problem.

Boy isn't that the truth. Back in February, I flew with this captain who used phrases like "this is my airplane" and "this is my cockpit". Wow, does THAT ever promote the crew concept. He'd just upgraded and I think his hat was now way toooo small. Because he was former military, he'd yell whenever something happened that he didn't like or prefer to be done. 'Called it "had to get on to you about that" later in the trip with a wry smile and a giggle. He'd also jump to conclusions that were startingly amazingly unbelievable. Like the time my right foot slipped off of the brake and we started towards a high speed, "I have the flight controls!! I'll decide when we get off of the runway, that's not your job!" I wanted to meet him in a dark alley when he couldn't hide behind that 4th stripe. 'Then again, I just pitied him. After talking with other FO's who flew with him later, they all said the same thing "he has issues".

In short, I agree with other posters who said that you should learn from every captain. With this guy (idiot), I learned a ton about what NOT TO DO when I become captain. When I'm there, I will respect my FO and listen to what he/she has to offer. I won't tell them "don't touch the A/C without checking with me first", that's for certain.

I am confused

I have seen low-time FOs who are very confident in their knowledge and skills, and try at all times to offer suggestions or opinions on courses of action.

profile says:
Ratings: CPL ASEL/AMEL INST CFI CFII MEI

Current Position: Unemployed, golfing a lot

Total Time: 370
-----------------------------------------------
I assume your profile is needing updating or something... I am pretty confused, but I see you post a lot.. Were you in another capacity at an airline at some point?

Sorry to interrupt the thread, but I was confused.. (I didn't see BE1900 so I don't think you Gulfstreamed)

Just curious on my part...

Last edited:
Hhhmmm,

I'm sorry. I must not understand what the "crew concept" is. I must completely misunderstand the concept. Lordy, that might make me one of those dreaded, evil FO's with the small pecker and big head...

Guess briefing where you'll exit the runway is not part of your approach brief protocol.

I guess there's just many "tools" in the box today!

Interesting Thread.

I was just in a conversation yesterday with a fellow pilot about this same situation in reverse.

We called it. "Fearfull flyers".

There are alot of Pilots out there that can fly the aircraft just fine, but they are still fearful. These are guys/gals that when they are unsure of a situation, take control of the aircraft. It is simply due to a lack of solid skills that cause this. I think that CFI's reading this will understand what I am talking about.

Captains that trust their own abilities, but are still a bit unsure will be the first to jump on the controls when the least little thing goes different than they had planned.

Love to hear anyone else's view on this. Anyone else seen this before?

I had an F/O a few months ago who told me one of those "I am the captain, this is my airplane and you will do exactly what I say" stories. I won't elaborate due to length here, but I told him my 'opinion' was that the next time a situation comes up with one of those type of individuals, he should gather his things, not say a word, get off the airplane and go tell the cp that there is a plane out there who needs a different F/O and why. It is amazing there are STILL those kind of jerks out there today.
It is those kind of captains who really make this job for new people or even very experienced F/O's miserable. In all the years of CRM now, I think it is a danger to all that those kind are still flying.

upncoming said:
Because he was former military, he'd yell whenever something happened that he didn't like or prefer to be done.

BECAUSE he was former military, he would yell?

what does being in the military have to do with it?

while this guy didn't sound very enjoyable to fly with, don't stereotype all miltary guys because of this one experience.

i've flown with all types and i can assure you they can all be a-holes and screamer types. being in the military doesn't have anything to do with it.

Geting off the subject sorry...

My question is for MetroSheriff and Trainer Jet.

No offense, BUT

Do you guys ever fly?

With that number of posts I don't know how its possible unless your wireless laptop works at FL310?

All in good fun-
-TC
:cool:

Latest resources

Back