• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Army Reserve

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What differences are you talking about? Money? Deployments?

When I have been overseas, there were reserve component folks there with us attached to the task forces.

In fact my unit was replaced by an ARNG unit in the last place. They were very good too. Although they were activated an excessively long amount of time and spent a while away from home.

Last edited:
Others will look at you as a substandard pilot...they do not know of the very complex night vision, navigation, and weapons systems that you will have to deal with.
I don't know about that statement, I know a thing or two about night vision, navigation and weapons systems.
Helicopters have very important mission. I think I saw some on T.V. once, the show was called M.A.S.H.

;) (just kidding).

CC,

Take my whole statement into account and re-read it.

I wasn't saying that you know nothing of Nav, NVS/NVG, Weapons systems. I was stating that most people think that helicopters are set up like the Huey's of 1968 and the pilots aren't exposed to complex systems operation.

I can give you multiple examples of 'tudes and ignorant statements made by those not connected with helicopters in any way.

I am not whining or overstating anything. Just simply letting the person know what they are getting themselves into.

psysicx said:
I would imagine that there is a difference between AD and the reserves.

There are differences, but right now you probably won't like them.

As a part time reservist or guard member, you will probably fly even less than the active duty guys do, which as noted by others isn't a lot compared with your civilian counterparts, or with the other services.
As either a part timer or a full timer, you will deploy -- for sure -- for a one year tour, and you may even get to do it twice in two years to different garden spots. Although you say this doesn't bother you, you may want to wait until you try it before offering an opinion.
In an undermanned unit, you may work as much or more as a part timer than a full time guy, get paid less for doing it, and not recieve the same benefits (e.g. mil leave, medical, etc.) depending on your status.

If your goal is to be a soldier, then you're exactly what the army is looking for. If you're thinking primarily of the college money and flight time, you're about to get a hard lesson in economics, e.g. "there's no such thing as a free lunch."

Hope it works out.

Last edited:
Hobit said:
...but 5 years into it, when you are laying on a cot in a tent at 2 pm in lower Louisiana in the middle of the summer and brushing the fly's away in 90+ deg. heat while 'resting' (desperately trying to sleep) for a midnight launch to got out and fly NOE with a poor FLIR picture...
There's some guys in the Cav laying in a berm at 2 am in lower Iraq after being in 100+ deg heat brushing the crabs away while resting for a midnight launch through small arms fire and RPGs to fly through another brownout who would give anything to be in Louisiana about now...

I would like to fly and go to college. Deployments don't bother me.
How long do you want to take to finish college? Deployments don't bother you, until you want to finish that semester you were so close to finishing. I wonder how much longer it takes a Army Reservist to finish a four year degree? These days, I'd say at least 3 to 4 more years. Going to college as a part-time student is not fun. Here is something else to consider, once you're Army you will remain Army until your commitment runs out. They don't like in-service transfers. Don't think you'll just transfer to the AF, otherwise half the Army would have left by now. One of the only ways I know to transfer is if you're in ROTC.

One last thing to consider, do you think we're done in the Middle East? Oh no, we've got some unfinished business with a couple of Iraq's neighbors. Did you catch the State of the Union address? If you join the Army, you WILL see action.

No offense to helo drivers, you guys do a great job, but like Hobit alluded to; you want helicopter time, what are you going to get you degree in, basket weaving?

Birdstrike,

When I was in Afghanistan at 50+ degrees Celcius (HIT check temp was 51, thermometer was pegged) all day I still would rather be there instead of Ft Polk (did 3 MRE's there in 18 months ).

I didn't want to bring the whole combat thing into it. I thought it may look over the top. But if you think the young man would be better served by that info (shooting,taking fire etc), I can do that too.

CC,

Excellent post. Hopefully he'll listen to you.

Thanks for the help.I know deployments are high for everyone but won't it calm down after the war.And I talked to the guy in the unit and said that you need 4 to 5 days to maintain currency and you show up and fly.You only have additional duties if your full time.

psysicx said:
Thanks for the help.I know deployments are high for everyone but won't it calm down after the war.And I talked to the guy in the unit and said that you need 4 to 5 days to maintain currency and you show up and fly.You only have additional duties if your full time.

Sounds like me when I was 19. If the advice already given doesn't dissuade you, have at it.

Let us know how it goes.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back