• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Army Reserve

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Maybe they will calm down, maybe not. Things change everyday. Best advice to you is, if you want to go to college, go to college. If you want fly in the Army, join the Army. Whatever you do, don't join the Army to go to college.

It used to make me sick to my stomach when people at basic training and Warrant Officer Candidate school were asked "Why did you join the Army" and I would hear "for the college money" or "for the bonus".

Yes, there are benefits when you join. The pay is actually pretty good for an officer. Heck, I made $40,000 to get $100,000 in ratings over a year in flight school. When you think about what you get out of the deal it isn't bad, but you have to have good motives for doing it, because there is alot of b.s. you have to put up with at the same time. But, it does make me smile when the guys accross the street at the helicopter school come in and tell me they spent $60,000 for a commercial rotorcraft instrument rating. I think I paid the DE $80 for my FAA equivalent!

The guard is another option. Oh don't worry, you'll get combat time there, but the chance for you to go to college and get it paid for is much better, after you get your wings anyway, due to the time you'll have when not at your unit. Just understand, if you get called up, you can bet on 1-2 years for a deployment.

Best of luck with your decision.

You only have additional duties if your full time.

BS ALERT! The only difference is in the Reserves you wont get paid for the time you spend doing your extra duties!

Guard has chain of command that goes through the state govenor. Reserves are federal. They don't fall under any state. Activation is easier, because they don't have to go through the state.

Don't believe the crap about extra duties. Everyone has extra duties.

psysicx said:
Thanks for the help.I know deployments are high for everyone but won't it calm down after the war.And I talked to the guy in the unit and said that you need 4 to 5 days to maintain currency and you show up and fly.You only have additional duties if your full time.

Can't speak for the reserves but I did 10 years active (Guns) and 10 years Guard (Hawks). I retired as a W4. I saw more time deployed as a Guard pilot (and I had a full time job outside of the Guard) than I did as an active duty pilot. My unit went to Saudi, Bolivia, Bosnia, NTC and JRTC multiple times.

In theory you do one weekend a month and two weeks a year. Try and maintian currency with that schedule much less proficiency. My Guard uit was structured the same and trained to the same standards as did my active duty units. Difference is you have to make a living somewhere else as well unless you can survive as a Guard Bum. I've seen it done. As for flight time, I did fine (between 100-200 a year) because I was senior and did a lot of AMC stuff. Just remember that 200 hours a year for a part time Guard/Reserve pilot is usually a lot. Deployments of course can change that number significantly. Also, when you're new it's all about RL progression and PC status so your time will vary.

Hobit and I have the same sentiments. I believe Army Aviation is a vital part of this nation's defense and consider myself lucky to have had ther opportunity to have a small place in it. But....... the fixed wing life will always have it beat unless you really like the idea of living like and with the infantry. On deployments your standard of living can vary and will be directly influnenced by the unit you are supporting. Many years ago when aviation became a branch, I thought things would change for the aviators, but it just got worse. The Army is all about putting steel on target and men on the ground to control it, so the life will never be easy.

As for complexity, jees I was glad to get back into the fixed wing world, leave a runway, do what you're told and go to another runway. One would have to experience life under goggles (Hobit remember the PVS5 full face?) NOE landing with 16 other birds into dusty/snowy LZs to appreciate the difference.

My heart is with our brothers in the sandbox. Godspeed to you all.

**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** theres a great bunch of info here. Birdstrike I am in the same boat as you were. I have about 600 fixed wing time and I took a flight in an R22 and loved it. Helicopters are badass. I did it just out of curiosity and it made me consider joining the Army but its always been the dream to go AF. I researched it and it sounds like I should just stick to the AF. Problem is my vision is 20/10 corrected but like 20/200 uncorrected so I dont think the military wants me. Ive taken all my AF officer exams and was applying for a C130 spot with a guard unit but I stopped b/c I dont have my **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** together enough to make such a commitment yet. Anyway anyone have any opinions on what to do? I have a decent ferry pilot job now but it involves a lot of bs like cleaning airplanes and stuff. I get like 30 hours/ month in a wide range of planes, some twins. Time is coming but slow, and living in Kansas just isnt fun.

psysicx said:
Is there a difference between the Guard and Reserves?

just beg, borrow and steal to get your 4 yr degree now, then go in AF and fly neat jets. the world will still be there when you finish. quit farting around :)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back