Are they a major or regional pilot?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dk33497

Now that the furloughed mainline pilots at USAir will now be flying the RJ, albeit at the captain pay level for both pilots, does that make them regional pilots? Or are they still considered major airline pilots?

Is Potomac Air a Regional airline? Or a major airline? Will those furloughed mainline pilots flying the regional jet, now be considered lesser pilots, therefore not deserving of the same respect they would have had as a USAir pilot? Is someone going to just decide they aren't as "special" even though they are still basically doing the same job they gave up?

Or is someone going to give them special status since they once worked for a "major" airline, even though they are now flying a "regional" airplane. And one more thought. If the "majors" would have decided to fly those "regional jets", would that make those pilots better pilots, than the pilots flying them now?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

The term "regional" is outdated. For example at airlink we fly MSP-JAX, and will soon start MSP-RIC. There's nothing "regional" about those routes.

Just an Airline Pilot

I flew for the Regionals, or Commuters as they were called in the 80's for almost 18 years before I went to mainline US Airways. Over my career I have flown... well look at my profile. I will be very pround to fly an RJ if I get the chance. They are here to stay. We should have had them a long time ago. Scope clauses are a joke.

I spent last Friday at Bombardier. A very impressive operation! I look forward to the training and getting a 7th type rating. I would love to instruct in one also.

I will fly it proudly just like I flew the Airbus because I consider myself and anyone else that flys an RJ for a living "just an Airline Pilot"

Good Luck

No Slug,

That was not a flame bait question. As a vision impaired pilot my career was severely limited until just the recent years. I worked hard like everyone else, but the doors were absolutely closed to me.

What I am saying is that for various reasons some of us are at the regional level through no fault of our own. We work very hard, try to do the best we can, and only want a fair wage for a day's work. Just like you.

You obviously were more fortunate than myself, and perhaps never had to pay your dues at the regional level, or had good vision which did not hold you back. You should feel fortunate. Not all of us are that lucky.

There are two sides to every story. The beating regional pilots are taking for just doing what we have been handed is not right.
I am not bitter at all. I work for a great company. They don't pay me enough, but they treat me like a valued employee. I appreciate that. I know that is not the norm for the industry, especially at the regional level.

What I am saying is that as pilots we all must start treating each other with the respect EVERY pilot deserves. We are doing the same jobs. Maybe it wasn't that way in the beginning, but this is a new aviation world we are living in. Our jobs are identical.

So why don't we all try to start working together? This nation was built by people who knew this important principle. "United we Stand, Divided we fall". The industry will let us pummel each other with glee. The less united we are, the weaker we are.

I know those USAir pilots were in a bad spot, who worked for a bad crowd. It was evident that their well-being was not a top priority for their management. Oh that is awful.

But kicking the guy below doesn't fix the problem either.

I appreciate the two who responded thoughtfully.

We need level headed, fair minded discussions. There is a solution to everything. No one is a better pilot than the other.
Those attitudes need to go. It is the mark of an insecure person that has to cut down someone below him, to make himself feel more secure.

Those that belittle the regional people only show their true colors of insecurity themselves. Most major pilots who come from regionals and have paid their dues, know this. Many are my closest friends.

From one airline pilot to another.

Fly Safe.

Last edited:
Slug

You obviously were more fortunate than myself, and perhaps never had to pay your dues at the regional level, or had good vision which did not hold you back. You should feel fortunate. Not all of us are that lucky.

Slug didn't pay his dues at the regional level. He paid them in the Desert, during Kosovo, and in every other god-forsaken part of the world Uncle Sam thought he could help defend our freedom. Not all of us are that lucky.

Oh. I was waiting for that.

I knew someone would jump up and crow and pound their chest.

See, that is what I am saying. Those that pound their chests to prove how great they are, and what sort of dues they paid, never paid dues doing the other kind of flying.

I am all for "supporting our troops". But let's face it, you guys get quite a payoff, when you come home, and those of us who weren't blessed with perfect vision, so were disallowed to even try to attempt to serve our country that way, had to go the harder way.

Don't snivel to me about how you did "Desert Storm" or this and that. You have no idea what sort of flying I HAD TO DO! You know, single pilot IFR in crummy airplanes to hair-raising places.
Or the hour after hour, no matter what the weather, of getting the folks to and fro.

No don't pound your chest to me. Not until you have walked in my shoes.

For those of you military guys who don't pound your chests. My hat is off to you. YOU are the pilots I respect. I don't respect those who speak out without knowledge of the other side of the coin.

Fly safe everyone.

CHILLLLLLLLL!!!

Dk33497 said:
Oh. I was waiting for that.

I knew someone would jump up and crow and pound their chest.

See, that is what I am saying. Those that pound their chests to prove how great they are, and what sort of dues they paid, never paid dues doing the other kind of flying.

Dude you have got to chill out. You are starting to sound like you have an inferiority complex. By the way, i am the best pilot on this planet. Just ask me!!
bart-moon.gif

Flame bait

Slug,

I guess the major vs regional flame war didn't start, so he switched to mil vs civ...

Hey Dk, as long as you're trying to start useless arguements, I vote for flying cargo vs passengers next...

:)

T1bubba

You're right

You guys are right. I should not have allowed myself to be drawn into this childish argument.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back