Are they a major or regional pilot?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Boo-hoo

DK, do want sypathy or a handout? Just because you had to "do it the hard way" doesn't make you special. C'mon, I've been flying night freight (crew AND single-pilot) my entire career but you don't hear me crying. Try not to take your frustration out on everybody else... PLEASE.

DK pot calling kettle ....

I knew someone would jump up and crow and pound their chest.

You obviously were more fortunate than myself, and perhaps never had to pay your dues

Nobody is entitled to jack - not even your next breath. Nobody owes you a job no matter how many years you suffered at a regional or how many trips to the desert you've made. Scope may be BS, but it is there - if you wanna fly heavy metel, apply and interview. If you like where you are but want more pay, go on strike. In any case godspeed, but don't compare your suffering to others and demand more from life - it doesn't work that way.

Well, I guess I was a little hot headed when I replied.

So the whole darned point was missed.

What I am saying is that all pilots need to be treated with respect.

All of them.

The more we fight each other, the more the battle is lost!

This is not about egos, or who has how much time, or who flew where. It is about recognizing there is a big shift in the industry, and those who work together, will be the most successful.

Be Professional! Fly Safe everyone!

I will add my input based on personally assisting/consulting almost 600 pilots from every conceivable flying background:

It is my honest belief (now) that no one really had it "harder" than anyone else. Each track to a professional flying career has its good and bad sides; each track has its challenges and rewards. You just can't draw a consistent comparison.

Each of my clients (and myself!) experienced the same "kinds" of negative and positive things on their route to a major airline career. The airplanes may have been different, the flying environments may have been different, the "companies" may have been different. But the experiences are often very similar in nature. Pilots from differing backgrounds are not as different as many folks like to believe.

As for who has an advantage in the job market: Like most things in life, being in the right place at the right time often supersedes everything else. You can be the greatest, most experienced pilot in the world, but you still need some breaks to get where you want in aviation. Sometimes that means having folks helping you get your foot in the door; sometimes that means hitting a hiring boom at the right time; sometimes that means interviewing at an airline that prefers your previous flying experience. I can tell you with absolute certainty that some folks recently turned down by an airline (SWA, jetBlue, Fed Ex -- take your pick) would have been hired two years ago. No doubt in my mind!

Is life fair? Rarely. Can you have the biggest effect on your career path? Absolutely! Will you accomplish your goals if you give up? Never!!

No matter where you end up, someone will always have it better than you. Someone will always be senior to you. You can be bitter about that, or you can do what is within your capability to improve yourself and appreciate what you've achieved. Of course, sometimes that is easier said than done. No one is perfect. And we all know that pilots have to bitch every now and then!! :)

Lastly, before I jump off my soapbox and run for cover, a pilot's background has very little to do with how good an airline pilot he eventually becomes. In my opinion, the best airline pilots are the ones who have a desire to continue learning and improving; the ones who don't think their sh*t doesn't stink; the ones who still enjoy flying airplanes; the ones who treat ALL fellow employees with respect and dignity. Background has virtually nothing to do with these things. It goes a lot deeper than that....

Last edited:
Well said Rob!

It all comes from within.

We can choose to be happy or we can choose not to be happy...

Make the best of what you got!!

I know that we are all a bunch of Stud Pilots (or at least we all think that we are) but what it all really comes down to is 50% LUCK.

We can all do our best to get as marketable as possible but none of us can help recessions, furloughs, good airlines gone bad in a hurry (Pan Am and Eastern), bad mergers (ask the republic guys), an interviewer in a really bad mood, 9-11 happenings, or a whole slew of other bad things.

Cargo, Millitary, Civie regional guys, or any other PILOTS all have to wade through bad times to get to good ones.

Screw the checklist for success..... Be a great person, work hard, keep your nose clean, be persistent, and hope that you find a little luck (hell... look for all the luck you can find!!!) And when you find that dream job, help all the good people you can to obtain their own dream job.

That's just my opinion... I could be wrong.

:cool:

Latest resources

Back