Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Are SkyWest Pilots Hurting The Industry?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
KO King said:
Right......SkyWest is "hurting" the industry because they are non union......get a life dork.

I don't think union vs non union is the issue, I think agreeing to fly 70 seat RJs for 50 seat pay is the issue.

The problem with a "short term" lowering of the bar to get the growth is that it NEVER turns out to be short term.

YAWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNN

This place is getting so freakin boring hearing the same ol crap being talked out..How many times can a dead horse be flogged..

You know what really hurts? Getting kicked in the nuts by a mule.

Major Metalhead said:
You know what really hurts? Getting kicked in the nuts by a mule.

"Ya know what it's like to fall in the mud, and get kicked, in the head!... by an iron boot?!... 'Course you don't. No one does. That never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question; skip that."

-Robert Stack, Airplane

YES. They took growth for 50 seat wages on anything up to 99 seats. Shortsighted for sure. That agreement set the benchmark, until Jetblue did with their new 100 seat rates. Those rates will be with all of us for years to come, until Virgin America starts up.

Bye Bye--General Lee

BigHangar said:
They are low cost because they have no contract which is generally more expensive and helps raise the bar throughout the industry.

A main reason SkyWest can offer a "low cost" in a bidding war is because of the large amount of cash it has in the bank. Skywest gets by-far the lowest rates when aquiring new a/c. Secondly, look at "the bar" for our competitors for UEX flying...ie. Go-Jet, Mesa, Chautauqua, Trans States. We have managed to keep low bids without making the pilots lower the bar near or below them.

We are ALL guilty for many of the things that are happining right now. And when I say ALL, that includes both the regional and mainline pilot groups, regardless of company.

So yes, let's continue to reduce our wages, work rules, time off, and above all our respect down to nothing, so we can have the privledge of working at these airlines. I think it's hilarious when people try to blame one demographic for the ails of this industry right now, thinking they are somehow exempt from any blame. Give me a break. We are all f*cking up, and have been for years.

It's all our fault man. We all new 12 years ago what would happen in the future. We knew that the whole industry would be in turmoil and we were so freaking smart that we thought we would just sit back and capitalize on the whole thing. Dang we're smart.

DCMartin said:
Skywest gets by-far the lowest rates when aquiring new a/c.

I doubt it. They do get there DL aircraft thru DAL. Skywest was going to get 7 aircraft recently but DAL moved them over to there subsdiary.

Latest resources

Back