Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Are SkyWest Pilots Hurting The Industry?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When you buy something for cash, it costs just what you pay.

When you finance something (house, Car, Boat, AIRCRAFT) over 10 to 30 years, you will pay for it ATLEAST twice.

RICH PEOPLE PAY LESS FOR THEIR STUFF!

I believe DAL Backed the orders for SKW and had the option when the orders were placed to use take them for Wholly owned. Problem is, they owe SKW money for the bump.

Another Brain Child wrecking the system now and hoping to "get through" to fix it later. If Ch11 comes about, SKW will go to the back of the line.

Maybe General Lee can verify this.

My data is a little dated.

100-1/2

Goose Egg said:
Granted, this is coming from a CFI flunky who really doesn't know what the heck he's talking about, but SkyWest is really the only regional that I'm seriously consider going to.

You said so yourself, so be it.

Goose Egg said:
(Now, it should be mentioned that this preference of mine has little to do with union vs. non, (I just don't have any great desire to go to a regional, period, but SKW would get me closer to home) but the fact that SkyWest is non-union is what I'd consider "icing on the cake."

Have you saved enough CFI money to survive during your initial SKW training during which you will receive $0.00? Even Pinnacle has started paying their pilots (hotel too) during inital training.

"SkyWest student pilots don't have any money to buy bread? Let them eat cake. With icing on it."

English said:
The industry is hurting the industry.

Airlines(Regional and Majors) need to fly to make money. Public wants cheap travel (priceline, orbitz, etc.). In order to fly, airlines need to be cheap, they cut fares and make low price bids to majors to the point where "Oh shoot, our expenses exceed our income!" So what do they do? Raise ticket prices to where they belong??? Noooo Waayyyy, everyone else will be cheaper, and we will lose flying, Soooo what is the only other choice? Cut Costs! Whats the easiest way to cut costs? Threaten pilots with the thought of losing their jobs so that they will work for less.

This cycle has been going on ever since Expedia and other "money savers" started, the prices started dropping... Well, prices can only drop so far.

Point is, pilots aren't too blame for this. I'm including all pilots, from the best to the worst regionals or majors. The industry just couldn't, and still cannot find a balance and it is turning pilots against airlines and now, especially on this forum, pilots against pilots.

Something big needs to happen, the industry needs to change, hopefully it happens sooner than later.

c-wood75 said:
They are like the welfare reciepts that sit at home and watch jerry springer all day, eating twinkees and potato chips, and getting paid. While everyone else is out there working hard to support them.
Cwood,
You know, this is a public forum, so I support your right to express your opinion even if I don't agree with it. What I don't like is your negative attitude that is reflected in almost every post you have made on this board. Ok, so you don't like me or the rest of my fellow pilots at SkyWest. Fine. Don't attack us personally, though. In fact, don't attack anyone on here personally. It is not civilized. State your case, present facts or even just your opinion, but do not trash a pilot group, especially mine, with childish comments. You know, the moderators will throw someone in the penalty box for a racy avitar or for cursing. I think there should also be penalty for excessive negativity or failure to contribute anything of value. Take stock of your life. find out why you are so unhappy.

BTW, I'm trying to show restraint because this is an anonymous board. I would however, say the same thing to you in person. I sincerely hope that you use this forum to mouth off and you do not spout off like this in public. Because if you continued to talk like this to many people, me for example, it would not be pretty.

My Grandfather used to always say, if you're gonna be stupid, you've gotta be tough.

Stop the trash talk and start contributing to this board.

Oh yeah. I eat donuts, not twinkies.

Crossky said:
Have you saved enough CFI money to survive during your initial SKW training during which you will receive $0.00? Even Pinnacle has started paying their pilots (hotel too) during inital training.

If it's in SLC, I could stay with family so my hotel bill would be approximately $0.00. (Remember, the whole reason I'd want to work for SKW is to be closer to family.) And speaking of CFI money, I'll probably be taking about a $10,000/ year pay cut to be a regional FO.

In other words, yeah, I think I could swing it. But I don't think that was your point.

Edit: Perhaps I was a bit hasty by saying SKW was the only regional that I'd consider going to, because that is not really true. On the other hand, you can't blame me for being selective as to where I'd want to work--I thought that was the problem with the industry.

-Goose

Last edited:
Goose Egg said:
If it's in SLC, I could stay with family so my hotel bill would be approximately $0.00. (Remember, the whole reason I'd want to work for SKW is to be closer to family.) And speaking of CFI money, I'll probably be taking about a $10,000/ year pay cut to be a regional FO.

-Goose

Good reasons, can't blame you there really, I'd like to live where I'm based someday.

Latest resources

Back