Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Are SkyWest Pilots Hurting The Industry?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You know, a union is not needed when a work group is not abused by their management. Maybe that says something about Skywest's management.

DGdaPilot said:
You know, a union is not needed when a work group is not abused by their management. Maybe that says something about Skywest's management.

You may be correct.

I guess they asked for the abuse when the pilots signed off on the LOA for the 50, 70 and possible 90 seat rates without a binding arbitration clause.

So is that called self mutilation?

skywest benefits from everyone elses hard fought union contracts, then jumps in and takes what other union members have paid and worked hard for.
We set the bar and skywest ducks under it.

They are like the welfare reciepts that sit at home and watch jerry springer all day, eating twinkees and potato chips, and getting paid. While everyone else is out there working hard to support them.

Sapa and skywest pilots are the biggest threat to this whole industry. What a joke they are thinking they have any power at all as they take everyone elses job.

Granted, this is coming from a CFI flunky who really doesn't know what the heck he's talking about, but SkyWest is really the only regional that I'm seriously consider going to. (Well, that and Cape Air, but I don't really consider them a "regional" in the traditional sense.) Sure, there's no way to know whether I'll actually get that job or not, but I suppose I can cross that bridge when I come to it.

Now, it should be mentioned that this preference of mine has little to do with union vs. non, (I just don't have any great desire to go to a regional, period, but SKW would get me closer to home) but the fact that SkyWest is non-union is what I'd consider "icing on the cake."

Goose,
insolent youngster

Last edited:
I thought that intelligent was a link and you were going to give us the definition. Tried to click on it, oh well.

FlyChicaga said:
We are ALL guilty for many of the things that are happining right now. And when I say ALL, that includes both the regional and mainline pilot groups, regardless of company.

So yes, let's continue to reduce our wages, work rules, time off, and above all our respect down to nothing, so we can have the privledge of working at these airlines. I think it's hilarious when people try to blame one demographic for the ails of this industry right now, thinking they are somehow exempt from any blame. Give me a break. We are all f*cking up, and have been for years.

Very well thought out and very well expressed. We are all to blame for our lack of solidarity in dealing with the management types. But it all really boils down to the simple laws of supply and demand. There is such an excess supply of pilots that we are unable to demand reasonable work rules, wages, etc. as someone else is always willing to do it for less. What a crazy industry this has become. . .

Texx said:
I doubt it. They do get there DL aircraft thru DAL. Skywest was going to get 7 aircraft recently but DAL moved them over to there subsdiary.

SkyWest does get have some of the best financing rates in the industry, but your right a part of the DAL contract calls for DAL to be responsible for the airplanes, meaning if SkyWest loses DAL flying, DAL is responsible for taking the over the leases on the airplanes.

s.o.sJTB said:
SkyWest does get have some of the best financing rates in the industry, but your right a part of the DAL contract calls for DAL to be responsible for the airplanes, meaning if SkyWest loses DAL flying, DAL is responsible for taking the over the leases on the airplanes.

Could that be changed in Chap 11? What did United do to their carriers in Chap 11? It could be a whole new ball game. Mesa could move into SLC soon afterwards. You never know.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Actually, it's only half-truth. We do our own financing and deliveries, but we only take them and put them into service if a major partner is willing to accept the risk by: 1) entering the fee-for-departure on the additional flying undertaken, and; 2) by asusming the risk for lease payments (a large majority of ours are LT operational leases) and aircraft pending dissolution of contract flying. Neither major partner has anything directly to do with financing or ordering, just subsequent route placement. I suppose the current 'outs' could be addressed in bankruptcy. Everything is, at all times, negotiable--especially legal contracts.

Aside: So I've been lurking for two years--what spurned me to start posting over the last few days? Engaging in self-directed rhetoric here...

Last edited:
English said:
The industry is hurting the industry.

Just wait it out.

The important thing to notice here is that English is now a MODERATOR!!!!!

So, all you dudes better watch your manners and cuss words!

English: For what types of filth are you willing to ban a dude?!:D

C

Latest resources

Back