• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Not a game, not a game... We're talkin bout practice"
Love it- only "both teams played hard" Sheed competes
;-)

I agree with what pretty much everyone is saying. I will add that a good pilot will get the automation clicked off more often, not for practice necessarilly, but because it's just easier. If you know what you're doing, it's way easier to recover from a bad vector at the marker with everything off...turn it off...make it pretty for the A/P...and then turn it back on.

My beef is with the fact that I believe that the accidents that they are referencing have more to do with pilots complete LACK of skills as opposed to the RUSTY skills that we are talking about.

The distinction seems fine/nit-picky, but is important, as the solutions for each of the problems are completely different.

WHERE IS ALPA!

These kind of articles infuriate me.

In order for pilot skills to get rusty, YOU HAD TO HAVE HAD THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE!

What about the 300 hour wonders that airlines like Colgan hire because they are cheap...give them 2000 hours at FL250 in a turbo-prop, make them a Captain, then act surprised when there pilot skills don't magically appear at the OM when there airplane is stalled.

WHERE IS ALPA?

I know everyone hates Gulfstream but as I have been saying its the best place to step up to the airline flying. No auto pilot, hand flying in north east and west mountain areas, ice, snow approaches to nothing many times. If the captains are trained correctly its not a hazard as the 1900 is a single pilot rated plane, which provides another layer of safety. Best environment to learn the airline business. And now that we are no longer PFT its not the cancer to the business that it once was. Just my thoughts

I am also a huge believer in aerobatic instruction. Not necessarily to teach 8 point rolls or tumbles, but once you are comfortable being upside down it never leaves you. When you hit wake that is strong enough to leave you past 90 degrees this training will most certainly help the outcome.
++

I don't see how flying with pax with a/p off would help the pilots in the stalling airbus or the 737 hardover rudder unusual attitude. You've got to fly stalls of all kinds at all altitudes, and recover from out of the envelope attitudes, to get these skills. 45 nose high, 60 bank, airspeed rapidly decreasing through maneuver speed is not the time to figure out what your first move should be.

Last edited:
I know everyone hates Gulfstream but as I have been saying its the best place to step up to the airline flying. No auto pilot, hand flying in north east and west mountain areas, ice, snow approaches to nothing many times. If the captains are trained correctly its not a hazard as the 1900 is a single pilot rated plane, which provides another layer of safety. Best environment to learn the airline business. And now that we are no longer PFT its not the cancer to the business that it once was. Just my thoughts

One should likely check the pedigree of the captain whose actions sparked this discussion before making such claims. Or that of a couple of other infamous regional accident pilots, for that matter.

That type of flying, yes. That company, no. One of many sad truths in this mess is that jobs which regularly demand and reinforce the bedrock principles of aviation are all but disappearing. Those that remain are almost exclusively the domain of companies that make an RJ gig look cushy by comparison. An honest question: With general aviation dying on the vine and airline companies taking the "pass him or we've wasted our dough" approach to pilot training, where do neophyte pilots learn these skills if not in the cockpit of an airliner?

Last edited:
++

I don't see how flying with pax with a/p off would help the pilots in the stalling airbus or the 737 hardover rudder unusual attitude. You've got to fly stalls of all kinds at all altitudes, and recover from out of the envelope attitudes, to get these skills. 45 nose high, 60 bank, airspeed rapidly decreasing through maneuver speed is not the time to figure out what your first move should be.

Got to walk before you run.

Handflying is absolutely essential to those greater skills and a ridiculous amount of us do not have the simplest feel for the airplanes we fly. And there is no good justification for it.

Last edited:
If you are not comfortable hand flying whatever A/C you are on with both the automation on and off, you need practice. The best way to do that is to hand fly the airplane. If you can't do it smoothly you need to find a way to improve your flying skills on your days off.
Anybody who cannot smoothly and comfortably fly their A/C in all regimes they operate in and is unwilling to rectify that is in the wrong line of work.

++

If you have good hand flying skills you are less likely to get into a bad situation and if you do because of a mechanical problem you are more likely to be able to fly out of it.What's so complicated about that?

Latest resources

Back