• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AQ to DCA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
not yet, but are being put together for them. Zander couldn't end the meeting without at least 5 minutes worth of a carbon copy "cost structure" schpeel I must say sounded strangley familiar to me. The same evening we had previously been given a wonderful LCC comparison handout given to us by our MEC. The handout showed many things one of which is SOUTHWEST & JETBLUE, which have the lowest cost structures of any airline also have the highest compensation per hour for their pilots (among the LCC's) Even Hawaiian 767 Captains are finally making more the Aloha 737 cap's.

The actual dollar value per hour of an employee is hard to determine but ALPA's resources include an entire batallion of number crunching wizards in their EC&FA department who have mathematical formulas for everything.

Lines are being drawn, its nothing uncommon to airlines in the time leading up to fresh negotiations. I dont think it will get too out of control here at Aloha, anyhow, welcome to the airlines.

Shotgun on the jumpseat when Jjp and Dopps discover they are flying together!

Actually, I think Jjp has some valid points. One of the appeals of AQ to many employees and local customers is its Ohana local flavor. Something many mainland commuter pilots are oblivious to. Commuting is fine, so long as you get there on time. "Covering" for somebody would piss me off. Not sure I would risk my own career to do it. As for sleeping,well...

As for a base in OAK, seems to me SNA/BUR combo base is front runner now, especially with two dailys to DCA coming. As for a reserve only base? Who wants that? No schedules, hanging around in wherever 17 days a month taking a financial hit by getting paid for 71 with virtually no per diem or override. For FOs basically no movement left unless you come back to HNL. I've had guys tell me pipe dreams of how they'll be able to sit in their homes in SEA or LAS or wherever and jump seat down if needed. Personally I don't see the company ever biting off on that.

Now, a full blown base with lines and potential upgrade, and I know of many current non-commuters, including some born and raised in the islands, who will bid for it.

Slim Dusty said:
Shotgun on the jumpseat when Jjp and Dopps discover they are flying together!

Actually, I think Jjp has some valid points. One of the appeals of AQ to many employees and local customers is its Ohana local flavor. Something many mainland commuter pilots are oblivious to. Commuting is fine, so long as you get there on time. "Covering" for somebody would piss me off. Not sure I would risk my own career to do it. As for sleeping,well...

As for a base in OAK, seems to me SNA/BUR combo base is front runner now, especially with two dailys to DCA coming. As for a reserve only base? Who wants that? No schedules, hanging around in wherever 17 days a month taking a financial hit by getting paid for 71 with virtually no per diem or override. For FOs basically no movement left unless you come back to HNL. I've had guys tell me pipe dreams of how they'll be able to sit in their homes in SEA or LAS or wherever and jump seat down if needed. Personally I don't see the company ever biting off on that.

Now, a full blown base with lines and potential upgrade, and I know of many current non-commuters, including some born and raised in the islands, who will bid for it.

Slim, I really don't have anything against jjp. I just think he likes to embarrass himself, and he does make us laugh, that's for sure.

To answer your question regarding the "ohana local flavor." I am all for making all our flights, even if we get SNA-DCA slots to be done in that flavor. It sets us apart from the rest of the industry for sure. Our passengers get that atmosphere from our cabin crews which IMO are some of the best in the industry, and the buck should stop right there. How much "flavor" are you as a pilot adding to our flights? Beyond your regular PA's of smooth rides and seat belts, we really can't add much. As I said before, I want the most experienced pilots available hired here, and I really don't care whether they commute or live here. Our upgrade times have dropped off significantly. I don't want some inexperienced island wonder upgrade over here and have his baptism by fire in the winter storm weather with another inexperienced island wonder FO with my family onboard, do you? The flight ops realizes this, and hence the hiring of furloughed major pilots and other mainland guys. Absolutely nothing wrong with that... Let's just hope we can keep them.

JJP gripes about them showing up late due to their commute flight being late. OK, what about if there was a pile up on H-3?
If the captain always shows up late, then there's a problem - commuter or not, but if someone shows up late once in a great while, I wonder if JJP would bash them if they were local. If you read some other posts that jjp makes, he's constantly bashing on commuters.

Along the same note, I'm still waiting to hear if he'd be towel boy at Royal Hawaiian vs. looking for flying jobs in the mainland if Aloha ceased operations.

Sir English:

You are a gentleman and a scholor my friend. The fact that you apologized to that other person for your opinion - amazed me really. You are correct in that Aloha has a reputation for being a close group. I have noticed lately however, that there is a growing difference in opinions within the pilot group regarding many different subjects. The funny thing is, that some of these brainwashed suckers like the idiot that wrote that article in the Flyer a few months ago entitled "New guy bashing" is the very problem this company is facing today. He thinks he has all the answers when in reality he couldn't be more wrong on the subject. I think you know what and who I'm talking about. (I'd love to talk more on that subject if anyone is interested.)

But, back to the subject line..a base on the mainland may very well be what AQ needs if the plan to expand to the east coast is carried out over the next few years. Some people will live on the mainland, some in Hawaii....great! Everyone is happy.

I have to say : "Keep hiring the mainland / furloughed guys and gals!!" Hire the experienced pilots, not the Island Air/local professional VFR guys for the pure reason that they were born and raised in Hawaii. If you hire locals (which is perfectly FINE), hire the ones that paid there dues by leaving Hawaii and ventured out to fly for Mesaba or whomever and got some real experience. All we need is for two of these inexperienced types to end up together in a 700 heading to D.C. in the winter. Does anyone remember that little airline from Florida that once ended up on the bottom of the Patomic River on takeoff at DCA??

All I ask is that these die hard "Hawaii based" guys bring there heads out of their butts and see what is best for the company. Stop "talking story" about how it used to be, cause it's changing in many ways my friends....for the better.

hire the ones that paid there dues by leaving Hawaii and ventured out to fly for Mesaba or whomever and got some real experience.

3 winters in the Mid and Southwest. Lots of approaches down to mins in the snow and blizzards. I love it when the weather sucks! We should go to Co. Springs too.

Good stuff. I also miss the challenge of flying in diverse flying conditions. As great fun as this job is, sometimes it feels a bit too easy.

I want to add an example to the kind of experience I'm talking about here. I was flying with a Captain in the last few months when we encountered a snow covered aircraft when we arrived to the airport. We were de-iced and he swore up and down to me that the holdover time started AFTER they were done spraying!! Ok, this guy never flew anywhere but Hawaii, so he doesn't have any snow experience.....but he needs some REAL training from the company. He also needs to realize that his F/O's probably know something that he doesn't now and again.....but he wouldn't except that possibility. THIS kind of thing is what will KILL a plane load of people.

I just can't help it. One more thing, and perhaps the most obvious for Mister jjp on this whole "i hate our Aloha commuters" topic.

I have the perfectly obvious solution to your problem of having to "cover" for someone in the -700, and to your obvious disdain for the mainland and all of those that are living there and commuting - BID BACK TO THE -200. Then you can ride around with the local boys and bash us mainlanders all you want. Oh, yeah, and I'd do it soon because that interisland flying might not be around all that much longer and you may be based on the mainland and commuting yourself........

I am a 200 based pilot by choice. I have no desire to do US west coast long haul but the DCA flying really interests me for a season or two. I could dig crossing the rocky mountains a few times a month and doing overnights in DC... if I end up being senior enough to get those trips.

I got some good friends and ohana in DC and i could really enjoy just being a tourist over there in our nations capital. The bad weather gets me kind of excited too. I just dont get enough hard IFR anymore.

error

Just to let you all know, the post above that starts out....."I just can't help it"......was not written by me. There was obviously some sort of error in the system, and it tacked my name to someone elses post. (Not that I disagree with what the guy said.)

Latest resources

Back