Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

islandhopper

Clone War veteran
Heard a good one from Zander tonight at the MEC meeting. A press release should be out by Friday morning. 6 long range slots (over the 1,300 +/- cap) are being offered at DCA. Aloha is going after two of them. Actually 4 "slots" each slot is one segment but that would be for two round trips into there every day. An AM & a PM both stopping in SNA and continuing to Hawaii.

If Aloha gets the slots, this is where #'s 12 & 13 of their new 737-700's would be utilized.

should've been there

i knew i should've gone to the meeting tonight instead of playing golf. so now tell me about the t.v. commercials and the pay cuts. inquiring, yet absent, minds want to know.
mm

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040109/laf049_1.html

Press Release Source: Aloha Airlines

Aloha Applies for Service to Washington, D.C.
Friday January 9, 3:41 pm ET

HONOLULU, Jan. 9 /PRNewswire/ -- Aloha Airlines has today submitted an application to the U.S. Department of Transportation to provide direct service between close-in Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA) in the Nation's Capital and John Wayne Airport (SNA), Orange County, California, and Hawaii. The new route would provide the only nonstop service between the three Washington, D.C. area airports and Orange County. In addition, it would provide continuing single-plane service between the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area and Hawaii, via Aloha existing service between Orange County and Hawaii.
Aloha's application seeks to take advantage of new slots and long-haul route opportunities into DCA that the DOT can award; these new opportunities were enacted by Congress last year in the Vision 100 Aviation Reauthorization Act.

"Aloha is very excited about the opportunity to provide the traveling public with the convenience of direct service between our nation's Capital, Orange County and Hawaii," said Glenn R. Zander, Aloha Airlines President and Chief Executive Officer. "Clearly, this proposed service will be especially beneficial to business and leisure travelers who prefer to fly during the morning or evening hours in order to maximize their day." Aloha's new DCA- Orange County-Honolulu flights will begin July 1, 2004, assuming the DOT regulatory proceeding is completed by June.

In its application, Aloha proposes to provide two daily nonstop flights between DCA and John Wayne Airport. A morning flight would depart Ronald Reagan Airport at 8 a.m. and arrive in Orange County at 10:45 a.m. The flight would continue to Honolulu International Airport, departing Orange County at 11:50 a.m. and arrive in Honolulu at 2:52 p.m.

A second evening flight would depart Washington, D.C. at 5:05 p.m. and arrive at John Wayne at 7:50 p.m. The flight would continue on, departing Orange County at 8:55 p.m. and arrive in Honolulu at 11:57 p.m.

The first flight would make its return overnight, departing Honolulu 10:51 p.m., Orange County at 8:05 a.m. the next morning, and arrive in Washington, D.C. at 4 p.m. The second flight would depart Honolulu at 7:15 a.m., Orange County at 4:30 p.m. and arrive in the nation's capital at 12:25 a.m.

In its filing to the DOT, Aloha noted that it is a unique niche carrier, which provides essential transportation services within the islands of Hawaii and between the State, the South/Central Pacific, the West Coast and Canada. It said the current situation provides Aloha and the DOT with a unique opportunity to provide (1) new service to the DCA area, (2) expand and diversify competition with the inclusion of a brand new but proven player, and (3) enhance transportation services to the flying public in several important, heavy-traffic flight corridors.

Aloha Airlines is Hawaii's leading provider of interisland air transportation services for passengers, cargo and contract services. The airline has operated in Hawaii since 1946. Aloha's sister airline, Island Air, provides daily service between Honolulu and smaller airports on Maui, Molokai and Lanai. Aloha also operates daily transpacific flights between Hawaii and California, Arizona, Nevada and Canada; and daily flights between Reno and Orange County, Phoenix and Orange County, Sacramento and Burbank, Las Vegas and Burbank, and Las Vegas and Oakland. Aloha also serves the Pacific, providing service to Majuro and Kwajalein in the Marshall Islands, Rarotonga in the Cook Islands, and Pago Pago in American Samoa.

Aloha Airgroup Inc., the parent company of Aloha Airlines and Island Air, is a $450 million Hawaii-based aviation services corporation. Founded in 1946, Aloha is Hawaii's largest provider of air transportation services.

Thank you! I was just beginning to look for that.

Wow, sounds like an interesting deal they got going!

Please oh pretty please...SNA base, perhaps???

English said:

Pat Tanaka said they're looking at a reserve base on the mainland. If we get the slots for DCA, I just don't see how they can get away with HNL-only base.

English said:

I just got to ask. If you want to live on the mainland so bloody bad why on earth did you take a job at Aloha? What is it about Aloha that made you think there would ever be a base on the mainland? Did you not understand that this airline is based in Hawaii?

I'm sick and tired of you whining schmucks.

My sincere apologies if my lightheartedness offended. I have been hearing rumors of a SNA base and expansion eastward from SNA for about a year now. I happen to live near SNA and this would make my life a little easier. I chose Aloha because of its reputation for a family-type environment, not because of current bases or route structures. Airlines change - they have to change to compete. I used to work for AMR, so being happy at work and having a decent relationship between pilots and management is very important to me. Most pilots seem happy working at Aloha. I was also very interested in flying a 737. So, I did not choose Aloha because it is a Hawaiian airline, but chose it because the employees are friendly and mostly happy working there. Yes, I understand that Aloha is a Hawaiian airline, but I also understand that Aloha has been interested in SNA (perhaps picking up where US Airways will pull out) and picking up intrastate routes a la United Shuttle. Route additions means growth. Growth is good for me because it means less time on reserve and sooner to hold a line. In other words, a better quality of life. I hope that clears it up for you.

If I came across as whining, please accept my apology. That certainly wasn't my intention. The new route announcement seemed like good news for further growth of the company and I was just sharing in the excitement. Hopefully it won't grow too big.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back