• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AQ to DCA

jjp said:
Funny how different people see the same article. I thought it was about professionalism, common courtesy, and ohana. It had nothing to do with commuting as such ...

Well now, I was actually going to post something in defense of Walts article because I read it in a similar way. Often things can be interpreted as A, B, or C I think most everybody here on this board went with C here but it was really A. I did not read Walt's article as commuter bashing or racist. I have spoken to Walt on this very issue and he has some valid concerns. If anybody else has a problem with Walts article take it to him! Even e-mail him or call him. He can explain it. Why talk about it in a public forum? Two wrongs dont make a right. And yes, whoever said management loves a little division nailed that one on the head. Nothing makes them happier come negotiations time. Lets have some Lokahi, Unity.

I remember being hammered in new hire class for a few days on this being "The Aloha Airline"... More time was spent on that than any system or test questions. I know Walts concern is we could lose that as we grow.

Sure all the pilots do is drive but many of them are very interactive with pax on turns, at gates etc. Our entire growth and biz plan is capitalizing on our aloha. Look at our new TV commercials. Southwest has their tennis shoes and crusty humor, we got aloha. It's our trademark.

I think saying "if you dont like it leave" is too much, flight ops probably went over that in the interview. If someone lied in the interview just to get a flying job then thats not good either.

I was at a big car lot yesterday talking to some of my old gunslinger buddies and they are going to Vegas for a yearly party. I was asked point blank why Aloha is "never the cheapest" to Vegas.

I explained to them simply cheapest is not always the best VALUE and went over a few of our amenities in coach and first. I think they are booking 25 something seats now for Vegas..

One of the managers mom retired from AQ after 35 years so that might have helped too. :D

islandhopper has the best avatar here...

i wasn't gonna mention any names on the article...but now that its been done, i think walt is a really good guy. he has helped me out in the past...especially during our furlough. i don't agree with the light he cast the jumpseater in in that article though. that's it, nothing more, i just disagree. knowing both parties involved, it had to be a misunderstanding...that's all...

islandhopper...nice job getting the bookings....we need 'em

jjp..dude, you're just buh-rutal. i full on agree with you not to give away any work rules....ever....well almost ever....but you are just vehement in your posts.

its wonderful that you have the option of going to work for your dad's company. congrats! right now there are a lot of pilots out there who are out of work and struggling...don't toss it in everyone's face that you have so many options but you're gonna just settle in here at aloha. i have a feeling dopps could probably get another job if he wanted one.

you speak of ohana in one breath and then tell one of your aloha brothers you'll pay for him to go apply somewhere else in the next. do you see the irony in that? that is the problem out here. its great as long as everyone shares the aloha airlines view. if someone has a differen't opinion it quickly becomes 'mainland attitude' or 'evil commuter'...come on now...why can't we all get along?

also, your comment about the majors not wanting dopps and aloha being his only option kinda $hit$ on aloha...i prefer to think of us as the place guys would like to be and the majors where they have to go if they can't get on here...

c'mon aloha guys...we got bigger fish to fry than one another. negotiations aren't that far off....

Great points AQ. See, the problem with JJP is exactly that, he settles. He wants this airline to survive. I want this airline to be successful, and I don't call it successful just to be surviving. I want the best job security I can get just as most Aloha pilots do who do not have the option to go work at their daddy's shop. I want the best money we can make. I want that profit-sharing check to be the norm, not the exception, and I'm sorry to say, but being a mom-and-pop outfit flying interisland and be scared sh*tless to compete while being a boutique airline will not cut it long-term, and that is the problem with this state and this airline - settling. We have an awesome product. Our mainland operation has been a great success. Expand on it.

JJP, you don't seem to realize one thing - we are on the same side - we fly the Bird of Paradise. The difference between you and I is that you drink the Aloha punch, and I don't.

Dissent is what made our country (I'm talking about America here, not Hawaii). Just because I disagree with local politics, the island mentality of settling and I speak my mind, I am told to leave. Sorry JJP, I live in America where I will tell you what's on my mind. I, along with many other pilots at Aloha have served in the military protecting your right to idiocy and shallow mind and our right to dissent. Get used to it. You can do better than telling us to leave. For starters, get used to the idea that not everyone drinks your Aloha punch, then start coming up with realistic solutions beneficial for us all.

Here are some ideas for ya - get a hold of the LCC comparison put forth by our MEC, and see how we fare compared to SWA, JB, Airtran and Hawaiian. It's an eye-opener for sure. Then come up with something how we could be as successful in our own little niche market. I don't mean SURVIVE, I mean SUCCEED. Here comes the hard part for you - telling me to leave and offering to pay application fees is not the answer.

As for "us" leaving "you" alone in your mom and pop type... sorry. If you want mom and pop, you might as well quit and go work for your dad. This airline is trying to evolve from an interisland bus service to a real airline. The boutique concept is just part of the service, but in reality, you are either a bus service or an airline offering a great product. I'm sure we agree that Aloha offers a superior product. I say flaunt it. Spread the word, expand, offer it to more people. The future of this airline is on the mainland, not in Hawaii. I suggest you get used to it. You missed the 80's, and no matter how bad you want us to go back to that kind of environment, it ain't happening. Roll with it.

AQ - Your last post does a pretty good job of summing it up. I think Walt has good intentions, but I disagree with his actions. I'm allowed to do that without being told to go somewhere else to fly, right? jjp will probably feel differently. Walt might too. Too bad.

Dopps – Amen Brother. I’m not here to see this airline remain status quo. That would mean the death of this company. We have to grow to survive. I think everyone agrees with that. No doubt that what we are seeing on this thread are some of the associated growing pains. I hope we can maintain our quality of service, which kicks a$$, and grow the airline at the same time. No small task!

Islandhopper nailed it... Walt had some good ideas, however he exercised very poor judgment in publishing that in the form that he did. I can guarantee you that the article will be edited if it's published by the Air Line Pilot. He should not have made any references to any pilot, he should have spoken in general terms. I think the reception would have been much better. One thing I most definitely disagree with Walt in his article was the attitude of "if you think your last airline was much better, leave." That's definitely wrong.

jjp, you definitely crossed the line, bro. If someone has an idea about something, I will listen. You should too. If it's the right idea, we should adopt it. We should pay attention to what our new pilots have to say because it only serves to improve on our contract. Just because someone has ideas that may be opposite to yours, doesn't mean they're wrong, and it doesn't mean they don't like it here. In any case, all ideas should be considered without slamming them with the "if you dont like it, leave-attitude." The absolute worst we could do is close our eyes, plug our ears and tell them to leave if they don't like it.

Latest resources

Back
Top Bottom