AQ to DCA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
English said:
I chose Aloha because of its reputation for a family-type environment, not because of current bases or route structures.

I take it back then. But you know what I mean.

I just flew with a Captain who called me on his cell asking me to "cover for him" because his same day commute flight was late and he missed the connection to Kona. He ended showing up five minutes before pushback.

About an hour into the flight he fell asleep for three hours. All he did the flight back was bitch that Aloha should base everything out of Oakland and we could get paid 85 hours for 14 days of flying. Four day trips could go OAK-OGG-SNA-KOA-OAK or whatever. As for the inland cities, he said "cancel them, they are losers anyway". Nice.

Anyway, it's that kind of garbage that upsets me. My brother is sitting at a commuter on the mainland dying to come home but Flight Ops is more interested in hiring "major airline" pilots who have no interest in Hawaii and will commute from Day 1.

I understand now why my comments upset you.

I'm surprised Aloha won't interview your brother...that's just wierd. Is there a nepotism policy?

jjp said:
I just got to ask. If you want to live on the mainland so bloody bad why on earth did you take a job at Aloha? What is it about Aloha that made you think there would ever be a base on the mainland? Did you not understand that this airline is based in Hawaii?

I'm sick and tired of you whining schmucks.

Hey jjp... you never replied to me - if Aloha dropped off the face of the planet, would you go to Royal Hawaiian and be a towel boy or would you be kissing anyone's ass who'd be willing to walk your resume in at some mainland carrier?

Also, if your brother is flying for a regional in the mainland and dying to get back here, why isn't he flying for Island Air?

To answer the second part of your question as to what is it about Aloha to make us think that there will be a base in the mainland is maybe that Aloha is desperately trying to become a real airline, not your little podunk island air service that it was for years. So in order for Aloha to be a real airline and realize its full potential, especially now that we are trying to get slots to DCA, you're looking at the necessity of having a mainland base.

To address your gripe of hiring of major airline pilots vs. more island pilots is that you are inexperienced in the mainland, and sorry to say it, but the mainland is where the bread and butter of this company is and will continue to come from, also the mainland flying as you probably know is quite a bit more challenging than the island flying we have here. If we stayed an interisland-only airline, we wouldn't be at Aloha since it wouldn't exist, or it would be substantially smaller than it is now. Secondly, we can't afford to have inexperienced island pilots flying in crappy weather, icing, and so forth, hence the hiring of furloughed mainland major airline pilots. It is a wise decision, and I fully support it because I know what the result would be if some inexperienced island pilot bent some metal going into RNO or DCA in the middle of a winter storm, so if there are experienced pilots out there, I'd rather have them than someone with less experience who just wants to live in Hawaii. I think that is investing in our job security, and I sincerely hope we can keep those pilots if/when they start getting recalled. In any case, just because some choose not to live in this racist island paradise, doesn't give you any right to slam them for their choice. You'd be doing the same thing they are if you were in their shoes.

Now, I have some questions for you Mr. Pepe Le Pew. I don't know if you were at our ALPA meeting the other day when Zander told us we had to take concessions in order to compete with SWA, JB, Airtran since "they're coming this way." I have to ask you this - SWA started 30 years after Aloha, and look what became of it. Airtran started service almost 50 years after Aloha (counting Valujet), and look at what's become of it. JetBlue started a couple years ago, and look at their numbers/orders, etc.

The first question to you is... where did Aloha go wrong? Why aren't we at least a West Coast/Hawaii powerhouse? Another question for you is about this captain who was "bitching" that we should base things out of OAK, be paid for 85 hours and work 14 days. Are you opposed to that idea and why or why not? Do you think we're overpaid for what we do? Do you think we should take more paycuts? How about give up our work rules? What the hell, why not throw our A and B fund away too if it means keeping our lovely HNL base.

English, don't let short-sighted people like jjp make you apologize for being a commuter. A good percentage of us commute from the mainland. Most of us here also have common sense, so let me apologize to you for jjp, and welcome you to Aloha whether you commute or choose to live here regardless of what your reasons were to come here.

Finally jjp, don't call commuters schmucks. I gather that your sole airline experience comes from Island Air and Aloha judging simply by the crap you spout off. Your ignorant remarks are embarrassing, and I have to ask you to think about what you say before you post something on this forum. Save yourself some embarrassment.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome, Dopps.

Dopps said:
I don't know if you were at our ALPA meeting the other day when Zander told us we had to take concessions in order to compete with SWA, JB, Airtran since "they're coming this way."

I trust he was referring to the concessions already agreed upon last year?

jjp

You can't just go around and call people a schmuck and then take it back. Especially, for such an absurd reason.

Anyway, my question for you is, "Are you a schmuck?" Cuz you sure do sound like one. If you are not, then I sincerely apologize.

It doesn't feel good being called a schmuck now does it?

English, You do not have to apologize to this indivdual, if anything this person should apologize to you.

ADG

Gotta add my .02

jjp-

tell me you at least got up and got your captain some coffee and a pillow.....

relax a bit man. hate to burst your bubble, but the islands really are not the greatest thing since sliced bread... i live out here and i like 'em just fine, but i would love to have a mainland base as much as the next guy. at least then i would have more opportunities and choices.

answer a few of dopps' questions. he brings up some really good points! and get your bro out to island air. rumor has it they will be hiring....

aq

Latest resources

Back